The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My DD and her horse are going to Germany! Update

Seeking COTH experiences!

She landed a postion with Andreas Dibowski for the forseeable future. I am making shipping arrangements for her horse and was told that they no longer allow any "baggage" to go with the horse, or that it is very expensive, or something or other. (the flight is KLM)

The shipper suggested Fed Ex ing the gear to EU. I called our local Fed Ex shipping place and was quoted a price of about $1,000 to ship 100 lbs of gear. That isn't much gear in the grand scheme of a competing horse and rider....When we went to Burghley in 2009 all the gear went along with the horse. I am sure they charged us for it, but it was included in the flight cost, which was half of what this quote is.

Does anyone have any cost effective ideas on how to get the gear to Germany?

Shipping has also gone up about $2,500 from when I last spoke to the shipper in the fall. Has anyone shipped to EU recently? If so, who did you use and is our cost quote comparable?

TIA
    Last edited by tuppysmom; Mar. 20, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: update

Can't a trunk go in checked luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Can't a trunk go in checked luggage?
    Last time I flew internationally, the checked luggage weight limit was 50lbs each bag, the time before that (different airline) it was 70lbs each. Which is not much, especially when you're packing for a person let alone a horse.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Would it be cost-efficient to just buy some of the equipment there? Especially since that shipping fee must be doubled to get it there and then back to the states. If I was your daughter, I would see if the cost of the item was greater than $20/lb and only ship it if it was. Everything worth less than $20/lb would be re-purchased in Germany.

Just for easy examples, I wouldn't not bring a 25lb bucket of supplement that only cost $150 since that is worth less than $500 while I would bring a 25lb saddle since that cost more than $400.

DD will have 2 duffles of her own stuff to lug around. I don't think she could handle the trunks, the duffles and get them where they need to go by herself.

She will purchase all small items like brushes, cleaning supplies, stud kit, etc in country. She will ship saddles, bridles, boots, and anything that is less to ship than to purchase. She has some very nice dress sheets, Back on Track blankets, Fleecworks pads, that she really wants to take. Scrunch!

She will also need to take all of her riding clothes, coats, boots, civilian clothes, favorite people treats, LOL.

The dog is staying home although he has been invited too.

What an awesome opportunity!!!! Good luck to your daughter, I'm assuming that's who's going. Post might be cheaper but they have size and weight limits and it could take a month or so ground. I work in the courier industry and the problem with couriers is landlock issues. Everything goes Air unfortunately but then it's really quick.
    That's quite the trek!

Wow, that is amazing!!! Congratulations to her, what an opportunity! Best of luck to her, sorry I can't help with suggestions re: shipping.

Who is shipping her horse? When my husband and I moved back from Germany to USA we shipped a few trunks with the horse shipper. It was in the back with the rest of the cargo. I know we had to pay for it but I don't remember it being a fortune

Do you know anyone who works for a company that ships things? Our company ships all the time, so if I have to ship something (I do Internationally at least once a year) I just ship it through the company and write them a cheque. Their rates are about 1/2 the price.

Dibo, how did she land that job, that is outstanding.

I would try a moving company.
    When is she going ?
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Gnep! I thought you were lost in a snowdrift!

She got the spot with Dibo by recommendation from the Germans that she rode for last winter in Verden.

She will be riding and competing some of his horses too, so that will be a bonus.

Harry's site stands in Germany now and Harry is the oldest foal, so having him in Germany for people to see is a plus for the stallion owner as well as the owners of the German bred foals.

Harry gets to do all of his FEI qualifiers while there, DD gets to have an International educational experience, and improve her German read-write-speak. All the while being tutored in the German system of riding.

She has cousins in Germany and Austria and many friends in Germany, so I know she will be fine. Just need to get the gear to Dohle.

I will look into a moving company! Thanks for that tip.

Yay for Sara and Harry! What a wonderful opportunity for a wonderful pair.

Wonderful! Best of luck! Can't help with the shipping but I think those good aluminum cases are the best bet and send as much with horse as possible, I guess.
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    Gnep! I thought you were lost in a snowdrift!

She got the spot with Dibo by recommendation from the Germans that she rode for last winter in Verden.

She will be riding and competing some of his horses too, so that will be a bonus.

Harry's site stands in Germany now and Harry is the oldest foal, so having him in Germany for people to see is a plus for the stallion owner as well as the owners of the German bred foals.

Harry gets to do all of his FEI qualifiers while there, DD gets to have an International educational experience, and improve her German read-write-speak. All the while being tutored in the German system of riding.

She has cousins in Germany and Austria and many friends in Germany, so I know she will be fine. Just need to get the gear to Dohle.

I will look into a moving company! Thanks for that tip.
    That is not to shabby a way to see the Olympics, I would say and some very nice Events.
    Way to go
    The snow drift is not to far fetched, 19F, 15 miles wind and snowing like crazy and I still have to feed, yaiks
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

@ Retread. The shipper says that we can send no more than a sheet and shipping boots with the horse. Anything else is charged at a very high rate, hence my problem. I have never heard of this before. We have shipped to the UK twice and were able to send all the gear with the horse. One rider even shipped golf clubs with their horse on one trip!

@Gnep. Thanks! We do feel a little bit special to have landed such a golden opportunity. I still don't know exactly how it all came together, but it did! I guess that Dibo liked her resume and references.

So sunny and nice here this winter in the banana belt of ID. We have only missed 2 or 3 days of riding outside this winter. The mountains all around us have plenty of snow and the skiing is great.

Keep the ideas coming. I will go thru and try each and every one of them.

Thanks all!

s

Default CONGRATULATIONS ~~~~ ENJOY !

Congratulations to ALL ````

ENJOY this OPPORTUNITY !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

No help with shipping the gear, but glad to see it is all coming together "for real".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for (are we not supposed to say her name???) I loved hearing about her experiences in Germany and she is so deserving of this opportunity! As a side note, when does she leave? I have a young one I've started and I wanted to talk to her to see if she's available to put some training rides on him (he's solid wtc, lenghtenings, and baby shoulder in). Looks like I may have lost my shot!

On the shipping side of things, your welcome to ship anything through our Boise warehouse at our cost. We have the best volume discount fedex gives (ya for 5,000 boxes a day ). I don't know if it applies equally to fedex int, but I know we send int shipments regularly. we also do ups int when cheaper (rarely).

This probably sounds old fashioned, but have you checked into sending the trunks by boat? When my company sends people on extended stays in Europe we send the house possessions back and forth by boat.

DHL is also a major courier in the EU. You many want to check rates with them as well.

While $1,000 is alot of money, the transit time is probably shorter and maybe worth it??