The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage or simply horse quotes that make you go all gushy! Funny or inspirational!

The other day I did a blog about this - well also that and the other but since I stumbled across some of the Black Beauty quotes that brought me right back to my first time reading and then watching that book/movie... Tugged tears to the surface TO BE SURE! So I had posted them in my blog... But now I am on a mission to find and keep a log of all my faves to go and read for inspiration!

Anywho, below in my sig is one of my favorites... It is dressagey in a way...

Love this one too:

"My troubles are over, and I am finally home.”
    ― Anna Sewell (Black Beauty Quote from the Great Black himself) If you know this quote... You cannot help but tear up at its meaning sniff SNIFFF!

Okay funny one is from the Simpsons when Homer is told the ponies at the fancy shancy place that Lisa wants a pony from are $5000.00...

Homer says, "Isn't there like a pound where you can pick up cheap ponies that ran away from home?"

Love to hear some good ones!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

If you want inspiring quotes, get a copy of Nuno Oliveira's "Reflections of the Equestrian Art". Every page has insights that few can put into words. I wish I had it with me so I could post some.

"A typical pony is the same weight as an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme but with no controls or moral code." - Dave Barry

Not dressagey or inspirational, but always makes me laugh.

Certainly not gushy but I think of JW's "But probably, if I had to pick one thing that I had to hang my hat on, I would want the horse that I was going to buy to have a face that I would enjoy seeing poked over the stall webbing every morning, waiting for breakfast."

every time I see Sophie. And yes I did have to ask the eventing forum for the exact quote
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

DRESSAGE, n.: the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect -Author Unknown

My dressage instructor in college always said "You ask with the seat and leg and the hand says thank you"
    It is INGRAINED in my head
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My fav is long...sorry!

Not By Accident: Reconstructing a Careless Life -- Samantha Dunn

"I've heard it said that horses are substitutes for men. To me, horses are not men. For example, their emotional dependability can be charted. Harley, as was Goober before him, as was Gabe, as was Sunny, as was Breezy, as was Big Red, all the way back to my first pony, Mickey Merry Legs, is clear about what makes him happy and unhappy and he never, ever, wavers from that. That is not to say that horses are all alike in their personalities. Harley, for instance, loves to be brushed and fussed over, will even fall asleep as the whiskers on his muzzle are trimmed with an electric clipper. Breezy would not tolerate anything beyond knocking the dust off his hide. Harley hates the sound of AM radio. Gabe liked mariachi bands, would collect himself beneath me and prance in what felt like a jig.

Admitting this to anyone would just give more ammunition to the argument that horses hold a sexual appeal for women, that we equestrians get off by straddling a big brute between our thighs. I have ridden all my life and have yet to orgasm as a result - in fact sitting a horse correctly produces bruises and chafing, swelling and soreness. I am so tired of hearing about bestiality from men and other women who either aren't self aware or are afraid to be honest.

In reality, the appeal of horses is so much more threatening than sex.

Little girls with their bouncing pigtails, grinning faces and lillitputian bodies look so cute as they ride ponies, but a serious metamorphosis is actually taking place. These girls are beginning to understand something that men historically have always known. They are tasting what is means to move freely with great power, and they are developing an appetite for mobility. They are learning not to take no for an answer, even when that no comes from a being who possesses one hundred times their strength. Riding is not the experience the girls will have when they get older and can drive a car, because their horses will nicker for them and will show affection and will favor them over others. A girl will work hard to earn her horse's loyalty, and this will be returned, and this is the dynamic she will come to expect of all others in her life. If a girl begins riding at an early age and continues until she is grown, all of this will be ingrained. In fact her bones themselves will be shaped by it."

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    My dressage instructor in college always said "You ask with the seat and leg and the hand says thank you"
    It is INGRAINED in my head
    Oh I LIKE this!

Oh Sionna-I LIKE that!

Goes hand in hand with 3 three reasons any sensible father WANTS his daughter to have horses:

1. Delays the onset of boys
    2. When boys DO arrive (and they eventually will) they will arrive with work gloves and likely a pick-up truck and possibly even be helpful (or they will not last long)
    3. Once she understands that when she is determined she can put 1200 lbs of horse wherever she wants it, there is a LOT less to worry from a 200 lb boyfriend <grin!>

Thank you Sionna - I enjoyed that!!

These are awesome!

The pony one is so funny

"Ya can't tell a kid with a blue ribbon how he's doing it wrong."

"Barns are like churches. They are only as good as the animal and spirit inside."

"Ya only need one stall to make a champion."

How about a funny horse sign?

"If you want a stable relationship, get a horse"

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...98602755_n.jpg
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I read this when I get frustrated. Surprised I don't have it memorized.

Even with the greatest of care and the most serious diligence, no one should dream that it would be possible to reach the goal smoothly and without obstacles. With every horse you take in training, if it appears to be the most evidently suitable riding horse, be prepared for disappointments, embarrassments, and fights; then you might possibly not lose your good humor; and that is really the most important in all of your work."

G.Steinbrecht (1884, in: 1995, 220)

Dressage: The passionate pursuit of perfection by the obessively imperfect.
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

These are all wonderful. I have a gifted book of horse quotes - will have to look up a few.

There is one from Winston Churchill on the friendship of a horse that I especially like.

"Never teach them something you want them to forget."
    ~A.A. Steiert

A good horse has no color. But the best horse is chestnut.
    - an old farmers adage from Germany

and then this video sums it all up for me.

That video gets me every single time!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The More I learn about Dressage, the more I realize how little I know".

My all-time fav.

Not a dressage quote, but from an eventing coach I once had and I apply it to all areas of life. It didn't work at all for me as it was intended, lol, as X-country always did terrify me, even when I was young and brave.

"If you are afraid of the fence close your eyes and kick."
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.