The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Epiglottis...Anyone?? Please..

My 15 year old mare has Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Epiglottis and I was wondering if anyone else has had a horse with this? I know the outcome is not good for her, just wondering if anyone else has any info or thoughts on it. I am obviously devastated. Have had her since she was born and she is my once in a lifetime horse....

No experience here. Just wanted to say that I am so, so sorry.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

So sorry to read that. No experience I can share .

May I ask what symptoms the horse is displaying.
    Did they tell you why the outcome would not be good, would surgery still make sense?

I hope someone can share some info with your on here.

The only sign she showed was noise when she woud breath. It started out just when she cantered and at first I thought maybe it was a new supplement I had tried. So I took her off the supplement but it then started happening when she was standing still. Vet came out right away and scoped her and thought she had an epiglottic entrapment. I took her to the first facility (which I won't name because they were horrible) and they said her airway was almost completely blocked. They put a trach in, kept her for 2 weeks and said it is some kind of trauma that will take time to resolve. I brought her home (with the trach and an improper one at that) and new it wasn't getting better. Took her to Tufts and they immediately spotted it.

They tried to do surgery but could only remove a small portion of the mass. It is on the underside of her epiglottis which they cannot remove. We are waiting on the pathology (which won't come back until Tuesday b/c of long weekend....grrrr) and then they that will tell us how to proceed. She will live out whatever time she has with a trach. I want her to come home and as lond as she is happily eating and can go out with her friends and be comfortable that is great but I will never let her suffer. This mare really is a once in a lifetime horse. Trying hard to look at it that I had her for 15 amazing years...

No help here either but just want to say I'm so sorry you are having to face this.
    Sounds like you will do all in your power to make her happy. Jingles for both of you.

What do you know about squamous cell carcinomas?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.