The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another saddle pad slipping question with a twist

I recently got a new saddle with cut-away sweat flaps and my saddle pad has started to slip. The "twist" part is the only part that slips is what's under the flap. I typically ride in a square pad with a fleece half pad and the saddle pad that's under the fleece doesn't move.

Today I tried using a piece of non-slip material that you get at Wal-mart (typically what you use to keep a rug from slipping) and Charlie didn't really like that much as it seemed to bunch up under the saddle and it didn't keep the pad from slipping. I feel like the non-slip pads that you find in tack stores wouldn't work as they don't come down far enough.

Anybody else have this problem? Better yet, does anybody have a solution? Thanks!

Edited: Here's a link to my blog and you can kind of see it on the first photo of the post. This was about halfway through the ride so it actually gets a bit worse. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nOCA7KILEq...lie+-+jump.jpg

Sarah and Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie&Me; Feb. 19, 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Picture link added

Can you post pics?
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

i've heard such great things about the Ecogold pads never slipping, and giving really great pressure relief etc, that one of those is top of my list...

I knew somebody was going to ask for a picture! Should've taken one after today's ride although I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure out how to post it. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Just to be clear - the saddle itself is not slipping. I suppose that's why I'm not quite ready to go the Ecogold route. Charlie seems quite happy with his current set up and the pad slipping seems to be more cosmetic than anything else (I think it looks dumb!).

I had that problem a lot with my horse and his pads. Some saddles and pads were worse than others. I now have a monoflap jumping saddle and I use one of those rambo poly pads (they are kind of puffy and quilted) and the saddle sort of sits into it and it doesn't slip. I think that it does have something to do with the way that the horse moves under the saddle. With my dressage saddle, I use a grippy thinline half pad over a regular square pad and that works well. I haven't tried that with my jumping saddle.

Default Added picture link!

Added a link to a picture in the first post! Thanks!

I asked for pics because pad slippage, to me, means that something about the set-up is compromising saddle fit. And I couldn't mentally picture what was happening from your description and not knowing your horse's anatomy. BUT, I heartily agree that some pads are more prone to slipping than others and that Ecogold has a great non-slip thing going. So do the poly pads and the poly pad knock offs. But, you needs extra room under your saddle for them to fit (usually).
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Bumping this up from Hunter-land. Charlie&Me, did you ever find a solution? I'm in the same boat—saddle fits extremely well and doesn't move an inch, but boy, do pads slip! Seems to happen less in very thin baby pads with no girth or billet straps and my ThinLine has helped a bit, but it's an annoying problem to have.

It looks to me as though your saddle pad is too small. In my experience you have two choices:

1. Larger sized saddle pad (ogilvy has lots of great options)
    https://www.ogilvyequestrian.com/

2. the gold standard - ecogold which are beautiful pads that do not slip.

Good luck!

Sounds silly but... is your girth tight?

My pads generally don't go anywhere; the few times they start moving around, it's usually because the girth is a hole loose.

If the saddle moves, I use a no-slip pad or breastplate. If the saddle stays but the pad moves, try tightening the girth.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

IME if the saddle fits well, pads rarely slip.

I do think the Eco-Gold type pads (I have the knock of "Success" brand) are pretty good for holding things in place while one is working out which combination of pad and saddle is best.
    Click here before you buy.

Some types of saddle pads tend to bunch up like crazy. Try using different makes of pads. If I buy a pad and it bunches I just don't use it again and try to buy the pads that don't bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Bumping this up from Hunter-land. Charlie&Me, did you ever find a solution? I'm in the same boat—saddle fits extremely well and doesn't move an inch, but boy, do pads slip! Seems to happen less in very thin baby pads with no girth or billet straps and my ThinLine has helped a bit, but it's an annoying problem to have.
    Sort of - I use a poly pad and have had good luck. But I feel your pain - it's so frustrating!!! Good luck!

I have this problem with the thinner/ floppier pads, especially as they get older, and especially on clipped horses-- I really like Toklat pads that BoB sells best, but they're fairly pricey. The Roma Ecole pads seem to be ok for everyday as long as I use the billet/ girth straps. I found that the poly pads were too thick for my high withered horses.