The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Triple Crown...seriously?

So I started feeding my new filly Triple Crown Growth and she loves it and I love it. I found out at the feed store yesterday that they will no longer be carrying it since their supplier dropped the brand! Seriously?

So here's my problem...do I drive an hour to get Triple Crown or do I find something else? The only other options in town are Purina, Progressive, Ranch-Way, and the brand that makes Junior Glo and Healthy Glo. Ranch Way looks like a low end feed so I won't feed that. Apparently the feed store is upset they can't get TC anymore because they had a large group feeding it. They had nothing to do with the decision not to carry it.

So what would you do in this situation? The hour drive isn't terrible. They have a bigger Walmart, Target, and Petco in that town so I wouldn't be too upset to go shopping there once in awhile. I'm not crazy about Purina so I don't think I want that. Suggestions?

How much of the TC were you feeding?

You can easily, easily use the Progressive Grass Balancer - 3-ish lb depending on how old/big she is, for the nutrition, and add alfalfa pellets or beet pulp for some more calories. It's just costlier to do that if you have to add significant calories. Mine is on 3.5lb right now, with 1lb alfalfa pellets.

If you go the hour drive often enough that you don't have feed sitting around for more than a few months, you COULD just get the Growth there and stock up for 3 months or so.

I drive almost an hour to get TC Senior for my mare. I don't have a lot of great options close and was driving 30 minutes anyway for another brand, so I figured, what's another 30?

I do what JB suggested and buy enough for 2-3 months at a time.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Progressive is superior to triple crown in my opinion anyway so I would feed that instead.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the TC Complete and love it and would drive an hour to get it because I was using some Purina and it just wasn't doing the job anymore

Right now the horse is on 1 scoop TC growth in the AM and PM and 1/2 a scoop with a scoop of alfalfa pellets at lunch. She also gets free choice grass hay 24/7.

I have no experience with Progressive but I do know she won't touch pelleted feeds. She looks at you with disgust if you try to give her pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by WarDance View Post
    Right now the horse is on 1 scoop TC growth in the AM and PM and 1/2 a scoop with a scoop of alfalfa pellets at lunch. She also gets free choice grass hay 24/7.

I have no experience with Progressive but I do know she won't touch pelleted feeds. She looks at you with disgust if you try to give her pellets.
    Don't tell her the TC Growth and alfalfa pellets are both pelletted then!!

TC Growth isn't pelleted It's a textured feed. The RB is pelleted though - maybe that's what you were thinking?

But yes, if you're feeding her alfalfa *pellets*, then...

I used to feed Progressive and in my experience a lot of horses don't find it too tasty. Like, we never had problems with getting them to eat it (and it is definitely a great feed), but they didn't get as excited over it as they did with other feeds, if that makes sense, and some would even finish their hay before they'd finish their Progressive (we fed the alfalfa balancer since alfalfa is the only reliable hay supply out here). I only mention it because I think it's pretty likely your mare won't eat it if she doesn't normally like pellets anyway.

I'd probably feed Ranch Way over most Purina products, actually. I like Ultium and Strategy, but I worked for a farm that fed Ranch Way exclusively and honestly I liked their senior feed more than the Purina version, as well as a couple of other product comparisons like that. It definitely isn't a top-of-the-line feed though. I've found the quality to be very consistent though. You pretty much know what you're getting.

Anyway, sounds like making the drive for the TC is the best bet in your situation.

OTOH, my mare is really not fond of TC 30 - 1 bag is about all she can suffer through LOL But PN Grass Balancer?

Any day, any time

If you wait it out, she will eat it.

How much does a scoop weigh?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

No way I'd drive an hour for feed.

I used to drive twenty minutes to get TC. Then a couple of years ago I switched to Purina. My vet recommended Strategy for my thirty year old, who was losing weight on TC Senior. I was initially horrified, but the letters after my name don't spell DVM, and besides, the feed store that carries Purina is on my way home. I've had the old guy on Strategy (and beet pulp) and the young guys on Strategy Healthy Edge and hay or grass (depending on the time of year) ever since.

Everybody's fine.

I have to soak the alfalfa pellets so they turn into a mush. If I don't she looks at me like I'm out of my mind. I've seen this filly walk away from Ultium. I've never seen a horse do that. She also takes her hay and spreads it all over the stall so she can pick through it. The mare is just a picky little diva.

It seems like lots of people are feeding the Ranch Way senior and then the cowboy types feed the other stuff. They do make Moorman's Juniorglo, which looks like a good protein supplement but she may not eat it. I think the hour drive is going to be my best option. If she wasn't so picky I would try to Progressive. I thought having her teeth done would help her become more interested in the pelleted feeds but no she's just picky.

I've driven an hour each way for TC for several years. I just go once a month, try to build in some other errands "in town". Not that big of a deal.

Recently, I decided to try soy-free for one of mine, so I'm feeding soaked BP and alf pellets plus a vit/min supplement. Those I can get at TSC, which is only a half-hour away. But I'm just feeding two older fellows at this point. They do love their soaked stuff!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Since gas simply gets more expensive, and we all seem to be increasingly short of time, if you haven't tried some of the newer Purina feeds and the Progressive feeds, I'd suggest doing that before committing to a long drive.

Personally, we tried Progressive and were not pleased with it. However, it is a well regarded feed and many people love it. I'm still not a huge Purina fan, but their Strategy and Ultium are good products. We liked those two Purina feeds ... but simply found one we liked better.

We've opted to make infrequent trips to purchase the feed we REALLY like. We go once a month and stock up. We like the Seminole enough that we consider it worth our time to drive there. But we only made that decision after trying more convenient feeds.

Hope this helps!
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Young horses are prone to being drama queens about feed textures. I wouldn't NOT use a product if a youngster turned up their nose at it unless they continued to do so after a couple of weeks of "my way or the highway".

But if there was a feed I *truly* loved, I wouldn't mind driving an hour once in a great while to get some. I'd buy enough to last two months and make a day of it.
    Click here before you buy.

I agree with DW. I would not humor a picky eater at this age. I would also consider that perhaps she has a stomach issue. A few days of ranitidine would give you an answer.

I say this because horses are like people, they like sugar. Give them a choice and they will eat the highest NSC first. And I do not want to see horses excited at feeding time! Quiet and attentive is perfect
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I think what I'm going to do is go buy some TC to last for a couple of months and then reconsider the feed situation.

I was considering the possibility of ulcers for this one. I believe at the old owner she was not getting enough forage and she was underweight. There is another horse boarded here that has ulcers, possibly due to a lack of forage at his old owner. He also spreads his hay all over the stall so he can pick through it.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I agree with DW. I would not humor a picky eater at this age. I would also consider that perhaps she has a stomach issue. A few days of ranitidine would give you an answer.

I say this because horses are like people, they like sugar. Give them a choice and they will eat the highest NSC first. And I do not want to see horses excited at feeding time! Quiet and attentive is perfect
    I didn't mean banging down doors or anything, I insist on good manners at feeding time. Progressive remains the only hard feed I've seen multiple horses leave until after they finish their hay though.

Good point about not indulging the picky eater, especially so young. I was just focusing on comparing the feeds themselves, but I have to agree that going along with that pickiness is not a good thing.

Progressive is, across the board, pretty low NSC. My human kids prefer dessert first too, if they can get it
    ---