The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Smartpak's

Ok, this is a dumb question but I swear I can't figure it out....

I've used Smartpak products for a while but have 5 horses so the large buckets were always my best option. I did go to Smartpaks for one horse for one product. Then I decided to put all 3 of hers in Smartpaks. I just got them today and they're not user friendly.

Here's what I mean. She has 3 different products which have come in long "strips" of 6 paks, 2 of product a at the top where the tab pull is for the cover, 2 of product b, then 2 of product c. Each daily amount is only 1 pak, therefore if I start at the top I can only get to product a by pulling the tab, I'd have to keep pulling it past the 2nd product a to get to product b, open another b before I get to the first product c. See what I mean? Which means the entire strip is then open with 3 unused products. I can cut each pak with a knife but that's more work than having them in buckets.

I'm kinda frustrated because this is defeating the reason I went with paks. I will call them and ask, I am also wondering if they were packed wrong.
    Fernhill Warmbloods
    www.fernhillwarmbloods.com

One strip is supposed to be one day's worth of supplements. You're supposed to be able to just peel the whole strip off and dump them in. Did you double the dosing when you did them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    The very sad merit badge earned by a true horsewoman: the one where she puts the horse before herself. The most gracious final reward any horse can hope for, and lucky are those horses who receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by shjhorses View Post

I'm kinda frustrated because this is defeating the reason I went with paks. I will call them and ask, I am also wondering if they were packed wrong.
    Either they were packed wrong, or, more likely, YOU ordered them wrong. :P Sorry. But it doesn't make sense for them to be set up like that and they obviously wouldn't have built a corporation on stale supplements!

Keep in mind that the formulas for some of the supplements are sometimes specially designed for Smartpak. So the "normal dose" out of a bulk bucket would take up just one well...while the Smartpak version takes up two wells. You are probably supposed to be feeding her the whole strip to get the correct amount of supplement, but check your order.

Sometimes the normal dose for a supplement is two wells. My horse gets the normal dose of SmartFlex Resilience Pellets and it takes up two wells. He also gets a half-dose of SmartVite Performance Pellets, which takes up one well, and if he was getting the normal dose it would take up two wells.

Yep, one strip is one day.

Mine were like that...3 supplement but 6 wells...NIGHTMARE! The strips were too long...you had to uncover one at a time..bad design.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE

They have super customer service. I'm sure if you called them they could review your order and fix/explain as needed. I've been a customer for years and love them!

read the pack if it split it will say
    "Supplement A part 1 of 2"

if thats the case its just 1 serving they just couldn't fit what's considered 1 serving in a single well so it's in 2.

Also, some smartpak supplements adjust for a "loading" dose for new horses. So they'd have double the amount of supplements for the first month and then it would drop down to a single well.

If none of this seems right, talk to smartpak. They're super easy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeBrook View Post
    Also, some smartpak supplements adjust for a "loading" dose for new horses. So they'd have double the amount of supplements for the first month and then it would drop down to a single well.
    I'd hope they'd check with the horse's owner before arbitrarily sending a loading dose. Someone could be new to SmartPaks, but that doesn't mean their horse is just starting on the supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Castlegate View Post
    Mine were like that...3 supplement but 6 wells...NIGHTMARE! The strips were too long...you had to uncover one at a time..bad design.
    3 supplements and 8 wells. Horrid! I buy big buckets and mix my own now. Cheaper, too.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

When you order them, look next to each supplement and it says how many wells it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyVagrant View Post
    I'd hope they'd check with the horse's owner before arbitrarily sending a loading dose.
    You have to specifically select the loading dose when you order... and pay more for it. They don't just arbitrarily send it.

You can go on the website and log into your account. If you have not already signed up it will prompt you On your account you can see how your smartpak is assembled and how many wells for each supplement. One strip is for one feeding.
    For example, I feed my guy Omega Horseshine and it takes up 3 wells for one dose. If you have any questions at all you can call them and they will be more than happy to help with any questions or problems you have. I have been a happy customer since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    You have to specifically select the loading dose when you order... and pay more for it. They don't just arbitrarily send it.
    That makes more sense.

There are a few possibilities.

1. When you ordered, you selected two scoops per day, but didn't select one scoop am and one scoop pm. If you just entered two scoops- they will come in one strip. If you entered separate am and pm quantities- you will get two strips of supps for each day.

2. Two wells of a supplement = 1 'scoop' for many supplements. Read the packaging carefully.

Just call Smartpak and explain what you wanted. They will fix it.

joiedevie99 beat me to it. it sounds a lot like operator error! (i'm sorry!) i've been using sp's for my horses for years and yes. the 6 wells is annoying to deal with.

definitely talk to customer service. they are terrific! remember. they have that happiness guarantee! and for anyone who deals with buckets and baggies-my hat goes off to you! i've been spoiled! i'm down to one horse and he gets 4 wells (smartlytes, smarthoof, smartdigest, smartflex maintainence). but definitely, you have got to pay attention to what you're clicking because i remember reviewing my order once and going 'what in funk & wagnalls?'

best of luck for ya!

Thanks for all the responses.

You're right, one strip is one day....2 paks per supplement. I guess I was under dosing before.

They do say 1 of 2, 2 of 2 on each one. Duh!

Thanks again, now to figure out storage.
    Fernhill Warmbloods
    www.fernhillwarmbloods.com

Buy the drawer from SmartPak, you can stack them and each has a place in the front for the paperwork that comes with - has the horses name on it and the list of supplements.

Easy peasy.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

I thought all new orders of SmartPaks came with a drawer? When I switched my horse from the buckets back to the paks, I got a new drawer.

Even got one for my dog's food.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Just give the customer care reps a call and they will send you out a one Each customer receives one when they start an auto-ship smartpak.