The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "This is a beautiful spread."

So spoke one of my roofing repair crew today as he got his first look ever at my project farm.

While I totally agree with him myself, not everybody can see it yet. This is most definitely a PROJECT farm and was neglected rental property for 30 years before I got it. Every building on the place needs to be demolished. I've already removed five myself, in the middle of my sixth. Even the main house is beyond being worth really pouring into it everything it needs. So I'm at buying-time repairs with it. Soon as the new barn is built (estimate 2 years), I'll move into it and raze the house.

I've done a lot to the place. Replaced a bunch of fencing; more to do. Trimmed up a lot; more to do. Removed the fallen tree (yes, an entire tree, large, although cut enough to keep it off the road) buried in the overgrown tangle of the front ditch. Actually mowed the grass, including the ditch (don't think that had been done in a few years when I got here). Slowly ground clearing the wild back 40. Planted several flowering shrubs. The orchard just went in last year.

But still, it takes imagination to look at the farm. The land is awesome, gorgeous top of a ridge with a fall-off down one side into what I call the V. It was the land that sold me. But most people still look at the buildings, and while I've removed from the worst up on my list, the ones still here are hardly anything to write home about. The guy this morning was here to work on patching a roof on the back half of the house that was built on by a drunk do-it-yourselfer and had major issues, so he wasn't wearing any rose-colored glasses about the deficiencies of the place.

Isn't it nice once in a while when you run into somebody who even if for a moment catches a glimpse of what you can see in a place (or in a horse), who has the imagination to agree, yes, there are true possibilities here?

Yes, this is a beautiful spread. And will be more so in a few years down the road, but even now, the land grabs you if you let it.

Horse people look at the land for what it is and for it's potential.

Regular ol' folk look at the rundown buildings

I'll never forget giving a "virtual tour" some years ago to the electrician who was running power out to Mom's trailer, converting it to pure electric, and upgrading its wiring when I first bought it for her. Read that, he was here doing a major $$$$ job that took him a couple of weeks.

On a mutual break one day, I was giving him the tour, which runs something like, "And here, you remove this building and that tree, and it becomes this. Now over there, instead of this, you have that." I was just then showing him the eventual site of the new barn. "See the two baby sugar maple trees? They are measured to the foot and are planted 40 feet to each side of the front corners of the building. So the barn goes centered perfectly between them. Right out there."

I could tell I was really reaching him. His head had come up, his eyes lit up, and he was looking at that blank spot where the barn goes and nodding to himself. I thought, "He sees it. He really sees it."

Right about then, he spoke up himself, unable to conceal his enthusiasm for my dream. "So you're eventually going to need electric run clear out there, too." His eyes were totaling dollar signs.

Yes, he got it, all right. Ah well, inspiration can have different motives.

Default future

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I'll never forget giving a "virtual tour" some years ago to the electrician who was running power out to Mom's trailer, converting it to pure electric, and upgrading its wiring when I first bought it for her. Read that, he was here doing a major $$$$ job that took him a couple of weeks.

On a mutual break one day, I was giving him the tour, which runs something like, "And here, you remove this building and that tree, and it becomes this. Now over there, instead of this, you have that." I was just then showing him the eventual site of the new barn. "See the two baby sugar maple trees? They are measured to the foot and are planted 40 feet to each side of the front corners of the building. So the barn goes centered perfectly between them. Right out there."

I could tell I was really reaching him. His head had come up, his eyes lit up, and he was looking at that blank spot where the barn goes and nodding to himself. I thought, "He sees it. He really sees it."

Right about then, he spoke up himself, unable to conceal his enthusiasm for my dream. "So you're eventually going to need electric run clear out there, too." His eyes were totaling dollar signs.

Actually... share your whole plan with him ... then ask about future power needs. a trencher or backhoe brought out once, can do all your plumbing and power needs for the price of materials. Also saves buying power panels twice. once now and once again later when you discover the first won't meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Actually... share your whole plan with him ... then ask about future power needs. a trencher or backhoe brought out once, can do all your plumbing and power needs for the price of materials. Also saves buying power panels twice. once now and once again later when you discover the first won't meet your needs.
    Yep!
    you can also put in conduit/pipe to later shoot a wire through.

but yeah, he saw it. Even though on a slightly different angle!

(that made my day, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

dtraks: your place sounds beautiful

My own wee 5ac is flat as a board and still - after 8 years - a Work In Progress as far as landscaping.
    But whenever my BigCity friends come to visit they re-open my eyes to how nice it really is.
    "All that space!" they make me see it again
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    flat as a board
    I know someone who named her little pancake farm Lacka Vista.

When I get down financially to construction on the barn - which will NOT be do-it-myself - I definitely will share the whole plan. But basically, there will need to be only two main plumbing/electric lines running at right angles in opposite directions from the current ones. We will have the barn to one side, house to the other, current site in the middle will be a rose and shrub garden but will still have the well and power pole in it. Can't really run the house side just yet, though. The site of the eventual house happens to be on the neighbor's property (for the moment). Details, details . . .

I totally hear ya, DT. There are definitely the people who come to see my new place, who I think roll their eyes and shake their heads a bit, and those who stop and look around and say "This is paradise." It's so thrilling to think about what you can make it into.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I sold my beautiful custom built new home with all the amenities and barn on 8 acres with a creek, for a 70 acre, run down, former puppy mill, junk yard, gawd awful mess. Blech. Everyone thought I had screw loose. I even did at times.

The property itself was/is stunning. Rolling, ponds, colorful woods, beautiful vista, hella private, relatively safe for all pets and horses. 17 years later it's still a work in progress but is slowly becoming the place I imagined.

I took pictures of beautiful sunsets and taped them to the only new thing in this $hit hole house, the refrigerator, with ice in the door. The thing was plastered with pretty pictures reminding me daily as to why the sacrifice. Some days I would just hug the refrigerator in tears.

Good luck to you. I learned a whole lot about myself during this whole process. Life changing for me.

The AT&T guy comes up here regularly because we have a splice box on the pole and he always stops and looks at the view - mind you with all our sh$t scattered all over it it looks worse that when it was just a blank canvas - but one day - and meanwhile we get to live here.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

it is wonderful when someone 'gets' it.

The first time we saw this place, weedy, overgrown, falling down electric fences, barn ready to collapse, rats in the barn and house, we fell in love because all we could really see, was the potential.

A farm located off the main road, in a hollow, which made it even more private, surrounded by State Forest? Priceless!

Twenty years later, and quite a few $$ it is close to being what we want. It has been quite the adventure!

Now when people get here, they just take a deep breath, sigh, and say I LOVE it here! Do you retire people too?

Nope. Horses only. And there will come a time in the distant future when I don't do even that, and it will nice not to have to share!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Default The real estate agent thought I was nuts

As we pulled into the driveway and parked near the house, I started walking towards the huge, old tobacco barn. We said "Uhhh, the house is this way". My husband said to him "As long as the toilets work, my wife could care less about the house."

Since the horse fixtures are all "done", I'm just now beginning to notice the house.

Nothing makes me feel better than having someone come out to my place and say something about how nice it is - and it wasn't bad before, but it was just a house and garage with a big open field in front of it. Now it's my little piece of heaven (Small barn, 4 big paddocks and 2 dog yards) and it's just awesome when other folks 'get it'.

And 2Dogs, I'm right there with you on the lack of landscaping - but hey, you can't really worry about the landscaping until the big stuff is done, right? At least that's what I've been telling my dad when he starts talking about plantings...