The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question JUMPERS: Belly Guard Girth and Jump Heights

Jumpers: Belly Guard Girth and Jump Heights?

At what jump height(s) do you usually start using a belly guard type girth on your jumper(s) for protection?

Do you always use one on your jumper(s) when they have studs in for jumping/showing on grass?

I was thinking our jumper probably needed one for protection since he is jumping higher (1.3 M+ at home). So far he has not really seemed to need the nice Antares girth I bought.

Horsezee

It doesn't depend on the height as much as it depends on the style of the horse.

My horse jumps big jumps but never uses a belly guard; she jumps pretty huntery and doesn't tuck up underneath herself the way a horse who needs a belly guard girth does. On the other hand, we had a horse in the barn who did the 1.10m and 1.15m who always showed in the belly guard because he would tuck so tightly.

I'm adding pictures because I don't think my explanation is very clear. Blame sleep deprivation.

This is a horse who I might consider a belly guard for: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...601_4885_n.jpg

But I wouldn't consider one for this dork, who pretends to be a hunter sometimes: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...67534440_n.jpg
    Last edited by supershorty628; Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Sleep deprivation and sheep deprivation are 2 very different things...

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    It doesn't depend on the height as much as it depends on the style of the horse.

My horse jumps big jumps but never uses a belly guard; she jumps pretty huntery and doesn't tuck up underneath herself the way a horse who needs a belly guard girth does. On the other hand, we had a horse in the barn who did the 1.10m and 1.15m who always showed in the belly guard because he would tuck so tightly.
    Thank you! The jump style of the horse makes a lot of sense. Our boy like your mare must not be a tight-tucker.
    Horsezee

I agree with SuperShorty. I had to start using one at 1.05m with my guy, and I use it whether there are caulks in or not. He regularly leaves marks on it -- he jumps more like the first example above. I always feel guilty about the marks that are there because I got him to a bad spot and he bailed us both out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I agree with SuperShorty. I had to start using one at 1.05m with my guy, and I use it whether there are caulks in or not. He regularly leaves marks on it -- he jumps more like the first example above. I always feel guilty about the marks that are there because I got him to a bad spot and he bailed us both out!
    Thank you, Kato.
    Horsezee

Supershorty's pictures tell the tale perfectly. It's about the horse's jumping style, regardless of the height. If the horse is inclined to whack himself in the belly, it's a good idea to use the belly guard girth with or without caulks.

It really isn't about the height, as already mentioned. Mine needed it at 2'9". Yes, really.
    (Of course, he jumps 2'9" like it's 3'6", which doesn't help.)
    Last edited by Across Sicily; Feb. 17, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

I might as well need one at 2'7'' (BN eventing). When my ex-hunter gets "spooky" he jumps the heck out of jumps. Not going to use one bc you never know when he gets "spooky" but still. Basically 2'6''...

I'm with supershorty and my two bigger jumpers are the two extremes. This is as close as my gelding ever comes to his belly:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/26560...94686761LzQWQd
    And this is his more "typical" jump at 1.40m and up: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23935...94686761tlxkUy

Doesn't matter if the jump is 2' or 5'.

My mare, on the other hand jumps like this:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28863...94686761TUcAxb

And she gets a belly guard any time she has studs in (though I don't worry about it below 3'6"), and her belly guards are scarred and cut up like you wouldn't believe (as are all of her girths).

When I found dents in my regular leather girth from my gelding's studs, I decided it was time. I think we were doing about 3'6 or 3'9 at the time.

I did 1.40 with my jumper for the first time this summer and he doesn't need one: http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...0005&po=5&pc=8 Look especially at photo 3.

But he was supposed to be a hunter when we got him, so he still jumps that way a little. Like everyone else said, it depends on the jumping style, but there is nothing wrong with having one just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post

I'm adding pictures because I don't think my explanation is very clear. Blame sheep deprivation.
    Am I the only one who saw this?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Cleozowner - Nope, I was just about to make a comment too!!

Agreed that jumping style, not height of the jumps, should dictate whether or not you need the belly guard.

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    Am I the only one who saw this?
    Oooops...haha I will go fix that!
    And for the record, I am not sheep deprived: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4853329_n.jpg

Video your ride/ have someone watch your horse to see how close the tuck is or if you see stud marks on the girth its definitively time.

My friend's horse needed it at 1M because she would hardly crack her back until she hit the bigger jumps. The you see some big GP horses that just don't tuck under and don't need one (though most have them as a precautionary cause they can't be too careful with the big money horses).

My horse tucks tight and could use one of these girths and he only does the 1.10! But I almost agree it looks silly if its not a high fence even if they need it.