The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cats peeing under barn

Okay now we are beginning to get a serious cat pee odor from under the barn...I am thinking the house cats have discovered that going under the barn is a great way to avoid the wind and snow of winter. So now what do we do? Is there any way to keep the cats out from under the barn, short of sealing off the entire perimeter? Is there an cat equivalent to mint for mice?

I would rather the cats have access under the barn to lower the rat presence, but not if they are going to use the entire underneath section as a big litter box..

mothballs?
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Well, I actually hope it IS the cats and not something else
    Maybe you can buy a dog house put it outside, insulate it and put in some kitty litter. Then in the spring get rid of it.
    They must be needing someplace safe and warm to pee in, so there should be a way to accommodate them.

I have in/out door cats who never went inside, but now that they are in their late teens I gave them litterboxes inside. I figure they have earned it in their old age.

I think I will endeavor to exclude the cats from under the barn...I think that there are only a couple of fairly short sections where there is access. I'll pass on deluding myself that these cats will be effective in curbing all the rats under the barn...especially on a part time basis; these are house pets, not barn cats. There is some subsurface water flow under the barn so when the springs rains come that may help "wash" out some of the odor...that and a few gallons of Fabreeze or whatever..
    I was wondering if it was "something else" too...but can't think what that might be other than possibly we picked up a very stealthy barn cat.

Could be a skunk (skunk pee, not stink), racoons, possums, or even a fisher cat, although if it was the latter, you would be seeingno signs of your cats, for one, nor any other mammals smaller than it, which is pretty large. so its possible, I think, to have some other animal under the barn peeing.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I don't know of any animal - snake or 4 legged - that moth balls won't drive away!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Damrock Farm View Post
    mothballs?
    Yes. We used them in the city to keep coons and possums away from trash cans. It works. I'd think it would also work to keep cats away. Now skunks might like them.

If you put a pile of sand in an area near the barn, cats will usually use that instead of other areas around the barn. Cats like soft sand and easy digging. If cats are spraying, then make sure none are unaltered males. (yes I know that sometimes altered males and even spayed females will spray for spite.)

The commercial products to prevent spraying will work to keep cats away from an area.

Default MOTH BALLS ARE TOXIC TO CATS ~ BEWARE !!!

MOTH BALLS ARE TOXIC FOR CATS !!!!!

JUST RE-LOCATE WHERE YOU WANT THEM 'TO GO' .... MAKE A SANDPIT OR GIVE THEM A STALL ... COLLECT THEIR SCAT AND PUT IT IN THE NEW LOCATION .... SHOW THEM WHERE YOU WANT THEM 'TO GO"

IT WORKS JUST MAKE A "JOHNNY ON THE SPOT' FOR THEM .... WITH SHAVINGS, DIRT, SAND WHATEVER ...

IT WILL ALL WORK OUT .
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

In all my years I have NEVER had a cat ingest mothballs!!! They stink and the cats/ other animals leave the area!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

bleach poured on the soil will also work.

Default Mothballs melt contaminate soil ~~~ contact ` licks paws ~ cats dies

Mothball ingestion is not the problem ... mothballs tend to melt with moisture and or humidity = contaminate the soil ``` cat comes into contact with contaminated soil ``` drinks from puddle or licks paws = cats dies their kidneys shut down.
    Mothballs are TOXIC to cats and dogs !

Additional note cedar balls are also toxic to pets ... not ingestion
    SIMPLE INHALATION can cause death ````
    ask your vet ```` I did not fabricate this ```

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    In all my years I have NEVER had a cat ingest mothballs!!! They stink and the cats/ other animals leave the area!!

Mothballs are also toxic to people, and gas off the toxins. Hasn't anyone ever seen that House episode?

http://www.diseaseaday.com/whole-bod...en-on-house-md

(I swear I wasn't TRYING to find an article about it that mentioned the House thing--this is just the first that popped up for "naphthalene poisoning"!)

Default THANK YOU ``` GREAT INFORMATION !

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Mothballs are also toxic to people, and gas off the toxins. Hasn't anyone ever seen that House episode?

http://www.diseaseaday.com/whole-bod...en-on-house-md

(I swear I wasn't TRYING to find an article about it that mentioned the House thing--this is just the first that popped up for "naphthalene poisoning"!)
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS INFORMATION !

I learned that skunks don't like mothballs, but they don't necessarily leave because of them. I had skunks living between some walls in my old barn. I put some mothballs in an old sock and threw it back between the walls. The next morning, the sock and mothballs were out in the middle of the barn This went on for a solid week until I just gave up. They moved away soon after that for some reason known only to skunks