The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on this mare?

So I may have the opportunity to ride/work this mare over the summer as the summer project horse I was looking for a while back.
    The owner got her a few months ago but says she is too hot and spooky for her, but I have no problem with a hot horse as long as its not dangerous.
    My first impression was that I loved her trot, but I may be wrong and it may look terrible to someone else. I have not yet agreed to take her for sure... just wanted another opinion before I dove in
    These video is from the summer, so as of now she is quite out of shape but this is what she can look like.
    Her trot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NibFyL-jiVY

Her Canter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dBBA...eature=related

Thoughts??
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

She is cute in her plain bay wrapper, but she almost looks off in the front, particularly at the trot. I am just watching on my tiny phone screen, could be different at a bigger size.

If she's free, and not on your tab, and they just need a rider, then what's to lose? I certainly would not pay $3k for her, not in this market.

I don't think she moves like a hunter prospect, but she looks fun. It doesn't look like she has a whole lot of step... does she like to jump?

To me, her trot looks tense and tight, non rhythmic and short in the front. I see a horse that is athletic and capable of moving out nicely, but with a rider that is quite tense/nervous and not allowing her to use her stride naturally. For brief moments the mare seemed to relax a bit, but then revert to short strided in the front, and quite agitated. If you're good with a hotter horse (she doesn't look that hot, just maybe a bigger stride than owner is used to?) and can let her move out and actually use herself, you may get a much nicer result out of her. Her headset doesn't seem natural or to be coming from collection to me though- it looks forced and tense through the neck and back. Something to work on.

Canter also seems the same to me as the trot- tense rider forcing her head in too tight causing a tighter tenser gait. The horse's uncomfortableness seems to be in direct result from the rider's tense.

She's cute though and I think would be nicer with a relaxed rider.

Agree with crownroyal about the tense factor.. also it looks like a smallish ring..
    As an aside is that a storage area to the right of the ring?

I like her. I love a hot plain bay.
    However, my first thought was that she looks lame in front at the trot. Though she could just appear that way because she's so tense and backed off, striding short.

That was my impression too. The rider looked very tense to me as well but looks like she is just not sure of what is being asked. I guess she was attempted to be evented with the last owner and she got extremely scared of everything. So, they just flatted her for a while before selling her (not at $3000... a lot less than that) to the current owner. I also do not like the headset. As for being off at the trot... I think she is just being held a lot and turned rather sharply... so that would probably do it. I would have to see her in a larger ring. I guess this video is at her 'old' barn.
    Any other opinions?
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

She looked a little off to me too at first.

I think she's an athletic mare could be a nice jumper. You'll have your work cut out for you teaching her how to carry herself and not just lean on your hand.

Yeah need to see her a LOT looser...

Why is the rider sitting the trot? She is off balance IMO and incredibly round for lack of fitness forcing her hind to short and choppy.

Even so, her canter looks problematic for hunters because if they don't swing that hind leg under you may never get it.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/