The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Talk to me about Pomeranians! Jingles needed, please...update #17

I'm going to foster a 3 year old who was dumped in the dropbox at a local shelter a few days ago. A no kill rescue has taken him in, but the poor guy has pretty much shut down. I visited him yesterday and spent time with him, and will take him home today.

He came around a bit yesterday and showed us he knows how to shake, so someone must have spent time with him at some point. His coat was in good shape so we are guessing he was simply abandoned as opposed to found wandering. No microchip, and he will be tutored next week as he is still intact.

He's cute as a button, but I know nothing about Poms, so I would love to hear from other COTHers with experience.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jenm; Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Edited title
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

One of my dogs is allegedly half pomeranian half jack russell, although I have my suspicions about this as he is about 20 lbs and looks nothing like either breed. Well, maybe I can see a bit of Pom in the face.

Either way, he's been a great dog. He is high energy but has learned "emotional control." It is important to my sanity for him to practice WAITING, so we sit before we go through a door, we sit before we come out of the crate, we sit for our breakfast and dinner, we sit for the donning and doffing of jackets and other assorted dog clothing (it is cold here), and most importantly (after much hollering, flailing of the dressage whip, and the dressage horse breifly moonlighting as a cutting horse) we SIT IN THE CORNER of the arena and STAY THERE. He took a little more work than my dachshund mix to get to this point but it still only took a couple of days.

He is totally non-aggressive and has never done anything remotely dominating to me, other dogs, or the cats, but he is also not a timid or shrinking dog at all. In horse language, he's never so much as pinned an ear.

He is a big snuggler and sleeps on the bed with close physical contact.

He is actually very fast, so when he is allowed to cut loose around the arena I am amazed at the speed he picks up. I am tempted to try agility with him, and I think with his intelligent, high energy, but still biddable temperament he would really excel.

Thumbs up

Expect some housebreaking issues. Toy breeds are typically hard to housebreak (probably for lack of owner effort).

If he has thick coat, you'll need to line brush down to the skin to prevent pelting (mats hidden under the brushed coat: I find these even in my single-coated breed). A sanitary trim around his anus may help prevent dingleberries.

How are his teeth? More toy breed generalities.

Have a reputation for being yappy. Another toy breed generalities.

Toy breeds can be guardy from being spoiled. Some are never even leashbroken!

You are awesome for fostering . Have fun! Think he'll be a foster fail or is it too soon to tell?

My brother in law had a girl Pom. She was a cute dog if you like small, white, and fluffy. Slightly scrappy, but not suicidally so. She was very bonded to my BIL. Other humans were ok, but he was her sun moon and stars.

My pom is actually a very bad example of the average pom. Everyone that meets her thinks she is great and assumes they are all like that. They can be yappy and nippy, she is none of those things. She is selectively housebroken which I agree can be a small breed trait.

My neighbor has a pack of them. I love them. They don't bark anywhere near as much as my Corgi. They're very friendly and funny. They sit on the back of her sofa and look out the window like cats!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Its been said; can be yappy, guardy, snappy, and can build up a green funk plaque like no other.

And HOWEVER--and take this with weight because I am NOT a small dog person in ANY capacity-- Poms TEND to have better temperaments in my experience than lets say, a dachshund. I don't worry quite as readily with them when they come into our clinic; and honestly, apart from MLP's we really dont see too many for orthopedic issues.

I've known one full, and one part. I'd take either of them in a heartbeat. Great with kids, confident, neat dogs. Have no idea if that's typical! Hope yours turns out to be similar, eventually.

I've known a handful, and I've liked all but one. Ten Pounds Of Terror was the WORST dog around when I vet teched-I'd rather hold the junkyard GSDs and Dobies than ol' TPOT. Catlike reflexes and a shark's sense of timing....

The other Poms were pretty cool, albeit with many of the issues listed above to some degree, esp. marking for males. You may want to invest in a belly band
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I knew a fabulous pom (he was a neighborhood dog, we called him "fluffpup" but I think he had another name) that nearly compelled me to get one of my own. I ended up with a chihuahua mix instead, but I'd add a pomeranian too if it weren't for the coat!

Good luck! Thanks for helping the poor guy.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

The Pom's I've known have been smart and very social dogs. Good luck rehabbing the lil guy and giving him some time to regroup.

Thanks everyone, you have all provided me some good information. It's day 3 of our adventure and I sure have my work cut out for me.

He has definitely come around since being with me, but I think he's had some rough spots in his 3 short years. He's very quiet, sometimes I forget he's even in my house. No barking at all. He is not leash trained, but will walk right behind me when I take him out. I tried a leash and he flopped around like a fish on land. He sometimes cowers when I reach out to pet him, and shows no signs of aggression.

He totally ignores my cats, which is good. His first night here, he had an encounter with a skunk in my backyard, and that was not good! I'm guessing he totally ignored the skunk's warning.

He seems to be enjoying being around the barn and so far has a healthy respect for the horses. He stays well outside the paddock and just stares!

He doesn't really like dog food, and didn't eat any of the food the rescue sent home with us. He did however, eat some plain chicken, so I'm wondering if he was fed people food? He's not a begger, he is very polite.

He doesn't know how to go up or down stairs, but we practiced a bit today so I'm sure he'll catch on quickly. He seems to be pretty smart.

The shelter he was dumped at is in a heavily Hispanic community, so I experimented speaking Spanish to him and he perked his ears up. He wasn't really responding to English commands, so I'm guessing he grew up in a Latino environment.

He was having fun playing at the barn last night, and when I went to put him in my truck, he did growl I tiny bit when I picked him up. I said "NO" in a stern voice, and it really hurt his feelings! Poor guy just laid down on the seat with his ears folded back and wouldn't even look at me.

I can't really tell if he's house trained, but he does show me that he needs to go, by moving around a lot in one area. He has pooped twice in the same place over night, so I'm going to experiment and put a little pad down and see if he'll use it.

I welcome and appreciate all advice/guidance! I'm already a foster fail with a cat, so we'll see what happens here.

In the meantime, please meet Calvin:

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/Calvin/

Cute little fellow.
    We don't have many poms around here, so have not seen that many in our dog club, other than some at shows.
    One neighbor had a GSD that was a pure wallflower, he was scared of his own shadow.
    He also had a pom that was a herding machine, helped load cattle and horses in his trailer and did it right, not just chasing, but real herding.
    He/she was a wonderful dog to have around, not a barker and minded very well outdoors.

Good luck with yours.

As you've discovered many people with tiny dogs either never give them access to the outside when tiny (disgusting but true, especially puppy mill type breeders, and they do breed purebreds too), or let them go on papers, or puppy pads, so that might be what he's trained to do at night. Many people don't go out at night, so maybe it's a nighttime routine for him to not go out, but go in the same indoor place.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Good luck with yours.
    Thanks, it's going to be an adventure, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    As you've discovered many people with tiny dogs either never give them access to the outside when tiny (disgusting but true, especially puppy mill type breeders, and they do breed purebreds too), or let them go on papers, or puppy pads, so that might be what he's trained to do at night. Many people don't go out at night, so maybe it's a nighttime routine for him to not go out, but go in the same indoor place.
    That makes perfect sense, thank you.

I would crate him at night or when you aren't home otherwise you will never get him housebroken. And may not even if you do crate but that is another topic! I had an animal communicator talk to my Pom as entertainment. She told her that she was supposed to go outside to go to the bathroom and supposedly my Pom told her that she was mistaken and it was very important she mark the house as hers so everyone would know! Take from that what you want but I have no doubt she feels somewhat like that. She pees when she is mad at us for being gone to long. She pees when its too cold, wet, dark, hot, windy, whatever to bother going outside!

Well, as planned little Calvin went back to the rescue on Tuesday so he could be neutered. I was supposed to pick him up today, but I didn't get to.

Apparently he had a seizure at the vet's office prior to going under anesthesia. They did not do the surgery, but did draw blood and start him on medication. He is now back at the rescue's facility until they can figure out what is going on. Their vet is away until Tuesday, so nothing will happen before then.

The little guy managed to wiggle his way in my heart in the five short days he was with me. I'm hoping the medication will work so that he can come home with me again.

I would so appreciate any jingles you all can spare. Thank you!

Jingles jingles! Lets just home it was environment/stress induced/acumulation of a bunch of factors. Even if it is epilepsy, seizures can be made really manageable. Poor little guy!

I have a JR who has occassional seizures. First time (well all of the times) it's scared me to death! She is not on any medication. I just limit what types of food she can have. I try to keep her on an all natural food, grain free. Her sister is allergic to chicken so I keep their feed something along the fish or venison, buffalo line. I also don't give her much in the way of soft treats that are loaded with chemicals. Seems to help.
    Seizures might be what caused his owners to dump him. I hope not but probably so. See if you can get him back asap as the stress of a kennel type situation would probably make it worse.
    Thanks for being a foster for him. I hope you end up keeping him yourself. Sounds like you already love him.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Well, as planned little Calvin went back to the rescue on Tuesday so he could be neutered. I was supposed to pick him up today, but I didn't get to.

Apparently he had a seizure at the vet's office prior to going under anesthesia. They did not do the surgery, but did draw blood and start him on medication. He is now back at the rescue's facility until they can figure out what is going on. Their vet is away until Tuesday, so nothing will happen before then.

The little guy managed to wiggle his way in my heart in the five short days he was with me. I'm hoping the medication will work so that he can come home with me again.

I would so appreciate any jingles you all can spare. Thank you!
    Jingling from the East Coast!