The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    I don't think we need to assume the OP has evil intentions or is wanting to slam the bloodline or the breeder. It sounds like the OP wants to find a permanent home for the horse and the first idea was to try the breeder and now is looking for other options, of which there are a number of options.
    This. Thank you.

I dont think it is evil intention --I think it is human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    Devils advocate here:
    So, how could a MAJOR issue be determined on "basic diagnostics"? What exactly do you think the issue is based on basic diagnostics? How exactly were you able to determine that the horse cannot do you job intended?
    Just an FYI, but there are plenty of back/neck issues that most of the time wont show up on a PPE on a unstarted horse but become blatantly clear not long after riding the horse. Been there, done that, which is the #1 reason why I wont buy a horse that I don't sit on.

I think it's great that so many of you breeders say you would take a horse back. Curious how many actually put it in writing?

To the OP, I have been in your shoes, I ultimately spent years of my life and tens of thousands trying to figure out what was wrong and trying to fix it. I think it's great that you are realizing your mistake early and trying to do the best for this horse.

My point is how could anyone expect a breeder to take a horse back based on basic diagnostics? Less than complete diagnostics might not mean a whole lot to the breeder. Not saying OP has ill intentions but people do make things up and then try to return the horse (probably posts in off course you could find about this now). Might be considered a guess by some vets unless thorough diagnostics.

I think it is doing the horse an injustice not getting complete diagnostics and then wanting to get rid of the horse and pass on to someone else.

Just doesn't seem fair to the horse and his potential future. What if he ends up in a bad situation where he is misunderstood about his abilities because of no formal diagnostics and maybe treated unfairly?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Just an FYI, but there are plenty of back/neck issues that most of the time wont show up on a PPE on a unstarted horse but become blatantly clear not long after riding the horse. Been there, done that, which is the #1 reason why I wont buy a horse that I don't sit on.
    se.
    Good point here.

So what is wrong with the horse? Depending on the problem it might or might not be resonable for a breeder to take the horse back. For example roaring might be ok in lower level hunters where there is not much neck flexion but not in an upper level dressage prospect. Many OCD lesions can be successfully removed/repaired. A horse with wobblers can be dangerous to be around. It is very difficult to give advice without having details.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com