The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

As a breeder, I would hope that someone in your position would contact me and give me a chance to take the horse back. I consider myself responsible for bringing each foal into the world and remain responsible for their life.

I'm sorry the breeder of this horse was not willing (or was not able) to take the horse back.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    As a breeder, I would hope that someone in your position would contact me and give me a chance to take the horse back. I consider myself responsible for bringing each foal into the world and remain responsible for their life.

I'm sorry the breeder of this horse was not willing (or was not able) to take the horse back.
    Ditto.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

^^ this.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

In the best of circumstances --yes--but they may also have been cautious because of liabiity concerns and just might not have wanted to get involved if they did not have an established relationship with the purchaser. Things can start out amicable (that is no blame etc.) and end up a far place from that.

This!

As a breeder, I always tell buyers that I will at any time, for any reason take back a horse I have sold ~ regardless of issue, injury or age. Fortunately, I have yet to have the issue arise, but the offer is a standing offer for life. I feel a very strong sense of responsibility for the lives I bring into this world, and for me, that responsibility is for life, not just until they are sold.... But that is just me
    Proud home of a barn full of second mortgage's...
    www.GoldenEdgeSporthorses.com

As a breeder, I would want to know and likely would want the horse back, but I have to say that as a BUYER, I also take full responsibility for my horses and if they don't work out I do not expect others to step in and provide the horse life long care - I view the horse's welfare as my responsibility.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Damn. I'm sorry.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The plot thickens.

Perusing local ads and see one for my mare's half sibling (same sire.) I could have written the ad myself. While there were no hard details in the ad, the wording makes it sound like this particular horse has had similar issues to mine. I e-mailed the woman to see if she would mind comparing notes.

As I said, I don't blame the breeder, it is still buyer beware, and I thought I had done my homework. But I find it intriguing that someone else out there has a horse form the same bloodline with similar "traits."

Quote Originally Posted by Altered_Buyer View Post
    The plot thickens.

Perusing local ads and see one for my mare's half sibling (same sire.) I could have written the ad myself. While there were no hard details in the ad, the wording makes it sound like this particular horse has had similar issues to mine. I e-mailed the woman to see if she would mind comparing notes.

As I said, I don't blame the breeder, it is still buyer beware, and I thought I had done my homework. But I find it intriguing that someone else out there has a horse form the same bloodline with similar "traits."
    really? Most things in horses tend to run in bloodlines. There is nothing in a horse (genetically) that isn't from one of his ancestors.. so it's either going to come from the dam or the sire (or both). I'd be more surprised if no other horses related to him had the same issue. (not that you said what it is.. but i can't think of anything that i'd be surprised to find in half siblings).

Not knowing what the issue is, I couldn't say one way or the other that I'd be more or less surprised to hear it's popped up in a half sibling. One has to start looking at where/how the horses were raised - environment and diet at least.

If pretty differently, then that does tend to make it unsurprising the relationship. If pretty similarly, it doesn't necessarily rule out the relationship, but it does put a twist on the situation.

OP, if you can truly compare good notes with the other owner, well, I can say this sitting here LOL but I'd want to start looking at other horses by that stallion to try to find out if there's more to it, and would want to approach the SO about it. Of course that's an ideal world LOL

But dang, people need to know if this is indeed a genetic predisposition that doesn't show up until the horse is in training - how do you vet check for that?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Not knowing what the issue is, I couldn't say one way or the other that I'd be more or less surprised to hear it's popped up in a half sibling. One has to start looking at where/how the horses were raised - environment and diet at least.

If pretty differently, then that does tend to make it unsurprising the relationship. If pretty similarly, it doesn't necessarily rule out the relationship, but it does put a twist on the situation.

OP, if you can truly compare good notes with the other owner, well, I can say this sitting here LOL but I'd want to start looking at other horses by that stallion to try to find out if there's more to it, and would want to approach the SO about it. Of course that's an ideal world LOL

But dang, people need to know if this is indeed a genetic predisposition that doesn't show up until the horse is in training - how do you vet check for that?
    Especially as she said it was something relevant to her discipline, but not necessarily something that the breeder breeds for.

But in general (since there were no specifics).. I expected related horses.. to have similarities.. (weaknesses, strengths, etc). I mean they aren't clones of each other obviously.. but I expect that if a horse has say.. bad hooves or weak hind end, etc.. that his relatives probably do too.. lol.

The plot thickens.

Just a minor correction here, but if this is a warmblood or a TB, then they are of no relation. Full siblings share a sire and dam, half siblings share a dam and multiple offspring of the same sire are not said to be familial. I understand that technically they share some DNA though.

Another question...........does the breeder stand the sire? If not, you may want to clue her in not to breed to that boy again.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I think for the sake of this discussion, half sibling is perfect as it puts the relationship in perspective

^ Ditto from us as well!
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

OP is looking for evidence of wrong doing/blame and husband already said he thought she was owed money back. I think if you take the horse back you sold (with defect according to buyer) you better accept you will have to make things right or it will not be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    OP is looking for evidence of wrong doing/blame and husband already said he thought she was owed money back. I think if you take the horse back you sold (with defect according to buyer) you better accept you will have to make things right or it will not be pretty.
    Really, not looking to place blame and wanted nothing but to find the horse a suitable home. I've been in horses long enough that I accept there is always risk. I take responsibility for buying the horse, which I intended for a very different discipline than what the breeder breeds for. So at the end of the day, it was a crapshoot that didn't work out in my favor. Such is life.

Devils advocate here:
    So, how could a MAJOR issue be determined on "basic diagnostics"? What exactly do you think the issue is based on basic diagnostics? How exactly were you able to determine that the horse cannot do you job intended?

Without solid diagnostics and a correct diagnosis, the breeder doesn't have complete information about the issue, and might just think you are making it up (not saying you are. just saying). Do you have some sort of vet report saying what is wrong with the horse, that it can't do the intended job, that you provided for the breeder to see?

You say you don't hold breeder responsible and that you only want the horse to land in a safe place?? So you'd be happy with the breeder just taking the horse back if they could but not having money back? (just wondering)

Buyer does a basic PPE, flexions, no xrays.

a major issue arises.

basic diagnostics,

Buyer understands "caveat emptor" and does not hold breeder responsible for the issue, which was truly an unknown.

Buyer only wants horse to land in a safe place.

My question was: Is it appropriate to contact breeder given the circumstances, and offer the horse back if they so desire to take it. I wanted to do that before I tried to re-home horse elsewhere, but wasn't sure on etiquette. No, I did not expect a refund or exchange.

I cannot get into any other specifics on the situation as I don't think it fair, as the breeder does have a good reputation for producing nice horses. And like I said, she has been wonderful to deal with. Am I disappointed she doesn't have space for the horse? Yes, but I understand.

Why not give us more general details? Your post is annonimous. The scenario just sounds odd and lacking details enough for anyone to give advice.

Horse passed flexions, buyer chose to not get X-rays. Something appears to be wrong with horse, but only basic diagnostics done. Like what? How could you possibly arrive at a conclussion?

IMHO think given the circumstances of basic diagnostics and no nothing indepth nor concrete evidence, how could you determine horse is unusable. So yes to answer your question it would be unreasonable to expect breeder to take the horse back. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe that is why they said no.

As a breeder, I would always want the option to bring the horse back. After a specific length of time has passed from the original sale, if a client wants to return a horse that is now lame, I would probably not offer any money, but I would offer a happy, loving, permanent home with exceptionally good care, like I give all of my ponies.

I don't think we need to assume the OP has evil intentions or is wanting to slam the bloodline or the breeder. It sounds like the OP wants to find a permanent home for the horse and the first idea was to try the breeder and now is looking for other options, of which there are a number of options.

Poster, I PM'd you.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!