The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to track down pony called Sporting Life

I'm not having much luck trying to track down this pony mare by our stallion Penrhyn Sporting Chance. I'm hoping someone on here might know of her whereabouts.

She is a 2004 chestnut mare by Penrhyn Sporting Chance and out of a TB mare called Light of My Life. It was estimated that she was likely a large. Her VPBA registration number was #04115 and her USEF number was #4703111.

I have been in contact with the breeder, who sold her to Bill Schaub as a yearling at the Select Pony Breeders Sale. He in turn sold her at the 2006 Hunter Pony Finals Auction as a two year old and she was the high selling two year old at $20,000 US...and I think was sold to Janet Read from Wellington, Florida....who later passed away This is where the trail runs cold!

We get asked about this mare all of the time. She was so lovely, I'm hoping she ended up doing something productive. Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sportinglife.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	31781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sportinglife1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	31782  
    Last edited by Daventry; Jan. 25, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Try Tim Goguen. He was training for Janet at the time.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

What a cutie pie I certainly hope she landed softly and is out there making some kiddos dreams happen.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Contact Jennifer Bieling. She is usually "in the know" about all of this. Need help with that, contact me.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    Contact Jennifer Bieling. She is usually "in the know" about all of this. Need help with that, contact me.
    Thanks, I emailed her.
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap

Just looking through some old threads and happened upon this one and thought I would post about the interesting update on this mare. We initially just wanted to track down Sporting Life to find out what she's been up to. One thing led to another, the current owner wasn't breeding anymore...and now Sporting Life is standing out in our pasture waiting to give birth to a Blue Who baby in about 6 weeks! We had not planned to purchase another pony, but couldn't turn down having such a gorgeous mare on our farm. (photo taken on our farm at 5 months pregnant)

Huge thanks to Sandy Holbrook from Sugarbrook Ponies on helping us find her, letting her stay at her farm while we arranged transport and allowing us to breed to her fabulous pony hunter stallion!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arielstanding.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	35036  

She is beautiful. Nice outcome.

So what had "happened" to her in the meantime? Was she doing anything productive or did she fall through the cracks? Morbidly curious because I'm going to be parting with one of mine soon and have, ahem, reservations about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    So what had "happened" to her in the meantime? Was she doing anything productive or did she fall through the cracks? Morbidly curious because I'm going to be parting with one of mine soon and have, ahem, reservations about it.
    She kinda fell through the cracks...due to no fault of her own or the owners. She was the High Selling Two Year old at the USEF Pony Finals Auction. The lady that purchased her was then diagnosed with cancer suddenly and passed away, so I think her ponies ended up being placed where they could be.

What a nice story. That should be a very nice foal -- I have seen a few Blue Who offspring at shows and I really like what he throws.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

I was thrilled to be part of this adventure!! Such a lovely mare and high hopes for a fantastic foal from this breeding to "Hootie". Of course we will all need an update when she foals!!!
    Hootie mostly has gray babies........some chestnut ( like he and his dam were when born), .......one liver chestnut....and maybe a bay (someone chime in here). So, I am thinking Gray Colt. LOL, Just my guess.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    I was thrilled to be part of this adventure!! Such a lovely mare and high hopes for a fantastic foal from this breeding to "Hootie". Of course we will all need an update when she foals!!!
    Hootie mostly has gray babies........some chestnut ( like he and his dam were when born), .......one liver chestnut....and maybe a bay (someone chime in here). So, I am thinking Gray Colt. LOL, Just my guess.
    The baby will be chestnut for sure. No other option available as both mom and dad are chestnut. And then will also have a 50% chance of also being grey. I really, really want a grey out of this cross. (I'm not a chestnut fan myself but a grey Hootie baby with lots of chrome will be super cute!)

Gray gelding, with 4 white socks and the "Hootie" dot on his face. Priceless!! LOL
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies