The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Days of Heat Cycle?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else This will be my first season breeding my own stallion to my own mare. As I do not have an ultrasound machine (), I was planning on using the stallion to let me know when the mare is ready. I was told it was best to breed on day three and then again on day five (if the mare was still receptive) of her heat cycle. The only problem is...how do I know when day one of her heat cycle is? Would that be the day she begins showing interest in the stallion?

On a separate but similar note, lets say that I did have an ultrasound machine. How would I know when day one of her heat cycle was by ultrasound? I have seen follicles and edema on an ultrasound, but I couldn't tell you what day of her heat cycle she was on. Please, I need help

Can no one help me?

When I bred LC in the past day 3 was the 3rd day she was receptive/showing interest in the stallion. Length of heat cycle was dependent on mare, some we only covered once as they were not receptive on day 5 and some we bred again day 5. It was rare any needed to be covered longer than that. Most mares seemed to ovulate on day 4 of their heat cycle so the day 3 cover usually did the job if we chose to only breed them once as the sperm does last for a few days in the mare.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

In the old days, long before ultra-sound (I know, I'm revealing my age) we would breed when the mare would stand (as indicated by receptivity when teasing), then again two days later and again two days after that if she was still receptive. Most times, twice was enough. Two breedings two days apart will give you four days worth of swimmers.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Thank you to both of you for answering my post I feel I am on the right track...now it is time to build my confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Damrock Farm View Post
    In the old days, long before ultra-sound (I know, I'm revealing my age) we would breed when the mare would stand (as indicated by receptivity when teasing), then again two days later and again two days after that if she was still receptive. Most times, twice was enough. Two breedings two days apart will give you four days worth of swimmers.
    Ditto this for us. We breed when the mare is receptive to stand for our stallion - twice that day and then we'll tease again two days later and will let him cover her again if she is still receptive to him. We may tease one last time another 2 days just to be certain - but usually by the 3rd tease the mare is out of heat.

[Admittedly I have one mare here right now who we covered twice, went to tease the 3rd time - she was still showing receptive but my stallion took one sniff and showed no interest in covering her.... a week later she is STILL trying to tease to the stallion and he is still showing no interest in her. But checked her notes from her last breeding back in 2010 and she did the same thing the cycle that she took with - lovely 2011 filly from that breeding.]
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany