The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Travel essentials

Very excited to be headed for a week of fun in Aiken, and some great coaching with Megan Moore.

I have never packed for a week anywhere with my horse.

Do you have a list of essentials? I probably do not need to bring polos in six different colors or a dozen saddle pads. I tend to stick things in at the last minute, because you never know, I might need 12 saddle pads.

Any thoughts appreciated!

The first time I packed for Aiken (a month) I packed way, way too much stuff. The second time, not enough and made a lot of trips to the tack shop (ok...to be honest, that happens regardless!). After that I got it pretty well down.

My biggest suggestion is to pack enough clothes for your horse (and yourself!) for ALL kinds of weather. With going for a week, you may be able to get enough of a forecast that you can know what to expect, but it would suck to get down there and have a cold, nasty wet day or two and not have the right gear.

Are you competing? If you are, you'll need all that appropriate gear.

Otherwise, consider what you use in a course of a week at home, and pack that. A few pads, a set or two of boots and/or polos, bandages if you use them, tack (duh), tack cleaning supplies, grooming gear, bathing gear (FYI, the sand can reek HAVOC on skin, so DO bring some sort of mild soap to wash legs off with- I like Ivory- daily, and lots of towels to dry them well). If you will be taking a lot of lessons and typically use certain boots or polos, bring that type stuff. I do like to bring NICER stuff and not my rattier things, especially if I'll be staying at a busy facility or going to busy places (I'm a GM kinda girl...I like my horses to look spiffy in public ).

Obviously, you'll want to bring feed and hay (if you have room...hay is expensive down there!) for a week, and first aid supplies.

For you, obviously lots of riding gear! Like your horse, bring clothes for all weather. I always like to bring clothes to go out in, as there are lots of fun places to eat I would suggest some books and/or some movies, though, too, as you may find yourself a little bored with one horse (probably not, but just in case).

And, don't worry, there are plenty of places to buy horse gear if you forget things.

Have fun! I'm jealous!

Oh, and this probably can go without saying, but be sure your rig is in good repair, and that you have proper emergency gear for your drive down and back. I am particularly sensitive to this, having had some very interesting long haul trips in the past!

Plus, you can always go shopping for something you forgot. We really don't need even that excuse to go shopping!

Horse clothes can really be a minimum, 1/ the weather is starting to warm up here and 2/ if it gets chilly you can layer. I have a lightly lined rain sheet, a stable sheet and a stable blanket. I've been here for 2 weeks and have not needed to put all 3 on at once yet. Do you have a washing machine? 2 sets of polos/galloping boots should do it. A couple of dressage pads, a jump pad, your tack. Hay. You can get grain here. Do you need buckets/wheelbarrow/pitchfork? First aid box. Leg wraps (if you bring them you won't need them)

For yourself, bring a pair of shorts, jeans, one casual-going-out-outfit, rain coat, warm jacket, polo shirts, a light polar fleece type thing. Layers for you, too. I haven't worn my wool hat for 3 days. It will be chilly when you wake up, temps rising during the day to 70, chilly again by bed time.

You'll love it here....... Sorry to say, a week will NOT be long enough......
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Four responses and no one has suggested packing your sense of humor and plenty of adult beverages? We're slipping here people...

all the things that you would need for a show.

I pack everything I touch in a week or two.
    buckets(2), double ended snaps, feed pan, muck fork, muck bucket, rake, broom, knife, scissors, brushes, hoof pick, duck tape, any boots your horse wears, a cooler, a stable sheet, a med weight blanket, bridle hook, saddle wooden thingy, shampoo, sponge, conditioner, more duck tape, a saddle pad for each ride, tack soap, bitS, gloves, hard hat, vest, bell boots, crop,
    vet wrap, med kit,........
    seriously, everything you touch in the next week or so. Pack it.

Subk, adult beverages are very available here!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.