The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

And I don't get the V***na Gentleman
    Can I buy a vowel?

I think Only By Night is pretty and not suggestive at all, BTW.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

I own a mare named" Run Around Gal".

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    And I don't get the V***na Gentleman
    Can I buy a vowel?
    How about two vowels?
    a*i
    Think female body part.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    OP that's a great name, and maybe it's early; but I seem yo have missed what's wrong with "Cunning Stunt". Those are synnyms for a sly prank.
    Switch the first letters of the words so the the first word starts with "S" and the second starts with "C". I'm sure the person who named the mare thought he was oh so clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    OP that's a great name, and maybe it's early; but I seem yo have missed what's wrong with "Cunning Stunt". Those are synnyms for a sly prank.
    The game is to see if the announcer, reading quickly, will embarrass herself.

OP, as a fellow Kings of Leon fan, I love the name.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I named one of my babies A Little Risque. Her sire was Akram and dam A Shade Shady to I wanted to play off of the dams name and used a synonym of shady. it suited the filly perfectly as she was quite the tease at an early age. her new owners kept the name and she was purchased for their 13 yr old daughter. So no, your name is just fine
    I also have an ottb mare named Exony, trying to figure a barn name for her I watched her interact with the herd for a few days, the name Sexy popped into my head and that has been her barn name for the last 4 years! Fits her perfect.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The game is to see if the announcer, reading quickly, will embarrass herself.

I hope I'm at that show!

OP, I don't think your mare's show name is suggestive at all. But like the other posters, I thank you for a great thread title and funny conversation!

Cunning Stunt may have been a race horse but we had one with that unfortunate name as well. She was bought from the breeder of mare OP is talking about naming. It, however, was not her registered name thank heavens and it was switched back VERY quickly. Said quickly by an announcer it comes out very poorly which was the entire intent I think.

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post

I hope I'm at that show!

OP, I don't think your mare's show name is suggestive at all. But like the other posters, I thank you for a great thread title and funny conversation!
    The key, if you screw up, is to go on as if nothing happened. If you stop dead and there's silence over the airwaves, everybody knows what you just said. If you keep going, they wonder: "Was that my filthy mind, or someone else's?"
    - Harry Dresden

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    How about two vowels?
    a*i
    Think female body part.
    Oh that's just gross
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

This was the name of the real live race horse in France...
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/big+tits

They tried the name 'Gros Nouchons' first but France Galop rejected it, so went with the English version.

The name is just fine! My mare's show name is Pillow Talk actually.

I don't think the name is suggestive or offensive.
    If you like it, keep it.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

It would never have occurred to me to think it was a "slutty" name, in fact I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    Cunning Stunt may have been a race horse but we had one with that unfortunate name as well. She was bought from the breeder of mare OP is talking about naming. It, however, was not her registered name thank heavens and it was switched back VERY quickly. Said quickly by an announcer it comes out very poorly which was the entire intent I think.
    I was just going to mention this, haha. K said it was a name he made up for a certain announcer as a joke... that story has been told many a time around the table.

Thanks for the input guys... I'm glad not everyone's mind jumps to the gutter. "Only By Night" seeming promiscuous never crossed my mind until someone else mentioned it, so I thought I would see what the general horse community thought. I believe the first person commented that she sounded like a hook... er, and the next said it was slutty. (Sidebar, this particular comment was made in front of her 11yo daughter, who of course asked, "what's slutty?" Her father elaborated by saying that slutty was like flirty, but with more make up.)

Oh, and she already has a barn name of "Mexi" as she was born the day the breeder's daughter got back from a trip to Mexico.

Bringing back this link seems appropriate: http://www.faniq.com/blog/The-Dirtie...Ever-Blog-8579

Compared to a lot of those, my mare sounds like a saint!

I think "Only By Night" is pretty! Nothing naughty crossed my mind when I read it.

Now if you had said "Only AT Night", that might be a little hinky.....
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I have the mind and maturity of a thirteen-year-old and think that Only By Night is a GREAT name! Like axl, I think it is pretty and not suggestive at all. OP, what's her barn name?

Some of the other names thrown out in this thread, though are just...ick. V***na Gentleman and Cunning Stunt, for example, sound like something a thirteen-year-old boy (aka, my brother) would invent! I don't get Totally Toasted or Cherry Pop, though.... Hint, por favor?

(Sidebar, this particular comment was made in front of her 11yo daughter, who of course asked, "what's slutty?" Her father elaborated by saying that slutty was like flirty, but with more make up.)
    Good save, Dad.
    - Harry Dresden

1 members found this post helpful.

Totally Toasted - another name for drunk...

And cherry pop...well, that could also be referred to as deflowering.

And for slutty names, I think QH names tend to take the cake.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Pony View Post
    OP, what's her barn name?
    Oh, and she already has a barn name of "Mexi" as she was born the day the breeder's daughter got back from a trip to Mexico.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm glad she won't be perceived to have a bad reputation when she starts gallavanting around the show ring.