The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Does my horse have a slutty name?

(...hopefully it's okay to say "slutty".)

Seriously.

I want my 3yo mare's show name to be Only By Night. It's a mix of her dad's name, One Night Stand (now that one's obvious) and the Kings of Leon album, Only By The Night.

I really like the name. As soon as it popped into my head, I knew it was going to be her show name. I've wavered a bit, because I also really like one word names, but I couldn't find anything that suited her so I'm sticking with the original. However, two people so far have said it's rather... promiscuous.

What do you think, CoTHers? When you hear "Only By Night", does your mind immediately go to the street corners?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh no, not at all, that's not what occurred to me. Your mare could be a vampire or a werewolf. Secretly.

Or, she might sneak out of the barn and tour the neighborhood at night. Lots of stuff goes on at night ... other stuff, that is.

I think it sounds like a great name! And I don't like 'slutty' names for horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nope. I didn't think of anything dirty when I read it, and I generally have a very dirty mind. You're good!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm old. I think of "one if by night", which IIRC had to do with the Revolutionary War, or cat burglars.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

First of all, I think the name is fine. Second of all, most people don't over think the meaning of horse names, so unless it is REALLY obnoxious or weird most people wouldn't notice anyway.

Well I don't know if my opinion counts seeing as my COTH user name is from a mare I almost bought and I thought it was rather funny, but I also think of "one if by night" from the name you would like to call your mare. I am also a Kings of Leon fan and so no not slutty to me.

Great name. Go for it!

There was once a QH named V•••na Gentleman... No joke!

Your horse's name is perfect...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I like it a lot! Of course, one of my geldings is registered as "Topless" (it goes with his sire's name, I swear!) so my opinion may not mean much either...
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I used to ride a "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and an "Uptown Rendezvous." There was a Hotsie Totsie at my barn when I was a kid too. Maybe I should have switched barns!!!
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I like it!

But I love the title of this thread!!!!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post

But I love the title of this thread!!!!
    Me too! I burst out laughing. I like the name too, despite the fact that I prefer one word names. As for slutty names, I remember an adult jumper about 10 years ago named "Hot Sex." Yes, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy SM View Post
    As for slutty names, I remember an adult jumper about 10 years ago named "Hot Sex." Yes, really.
    I never personally had the pleasure of knowing Hot Sex (wow, that can be construed a few different ways!), but there have been a few COTH threads about the poor horse and his, ahem, risque rider. Didn't she wear low-cut polo shirts, matching the horse's hot pink saddle pad or something?

I love the name. Barn name could be Nightie
    I love KOL and fantasize about having a cute little mare named Taper Jean Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I'm old. I think of "one if by night", which IIRC had to do with the Revolutionary War, or cat burglars.
    I think you are think of Paul Revere and "One if by Land" for how the British attacked

I tend to get a few funny looks being a college kid and my horse being named Friday Night. But I like it and that is all that matters!

I guess I was disappointed because I thought there would actually be a slutty name.... like that poor racehorse...

Cunning Stunt

At least I think that was the poor girls name. Geez. Obviously named by a man.

Wow. People come.up with the weirdest names.

Hollywood Dunnit has sired some horses with interesting names like "Dunnit All Night".

If this name were a movie title and not a horse name I would think it should be about some really cool indie musician trying to make it big and playing all kinds of shows at various venues (at night). Doesn't convey promiscuity or sex to me. It wouldn't even cross my mind if you hadn't brought it up and I'm surprised a couple people did make such a connection... kinky private lives? Hmmm, that's some great potential for barn gossip (but seriously, please don't)

As with some of the other posters, I'm also not a fan of the promiscuous names. I feel they're inappropriate given the amount of young and teenage girls at barns and shows. I would not be happy to hear my daughter walking around giggling about "Hot Sex" and all the other jokes that are bound to follow!

I think "Only By Night" is a GREAT name! And I also like the barn name idea of "Nightie"

OP that's a great name, and maybe it's early; but I seem yo have missed what's wrong with "Cunning Stunt". Those are synnyms for a sly prank.