The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default yearling WB filly stocking up behind

Causes? I have a call in to my vet, but just wondering why - no real heat in joints, not sensitive or lame- She gets 2- 1/2 # of TC growth per day so I know I can't be overfeeding- she gets free choice minerals and free choice hay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Causes? I have a call in to my vet, but just wondering why - no real heat in joints, not sensitive or lame- She gets 2- 1/2 # of TC growth per day so I know I can't be overfeeding- she gets free choice minerals and free choice hay as well.
    My first question would be are you sure it is stocking up? Where is the "swelling" exactly? If it is mostly in the fetlock area I would worry about OCD. That is the perfect age, and bilateral joint effusion w/out lameness is a hallmark of OCD. Not trying to scare you, but I would want to make sure it is simply stocking up. Generally true stocking up will resolve with turn-out.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

What's your weather been like? Conducive to standing around eating hay instead of moving? Suddenly wet/rainy/muddy?

Take away the minerals and force feed in her food exactly how much she is supposed to get.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Could she be chapped under the fetlocks from wetness...e.g., snow or wet grass?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What's your weather been like? Conducive to standing around eating hay instead of moving? Suddenly wet/rainy/muddy?
    It's a muck pit out there. They are basically standing in it eating hay. She is out with 2 older geldings who move around very little. They have a big paddock but they seem to prefer just hanging by the gate.

I would check the skin on her hind legs for fungus. Also, if she only needs a little bit of Growth to maintain her condition, you should consider feeding her the 30% Supplement.

Is there any truth to spring grass (or new grass all of a suddden) can be a cause for swelling? I had heard something to that effect before. Just a thought as we have an abundance of new grass right now. Hope it is nothing serious.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Being a yearling, could also be physitis, and balanced mineral will help that. Might also try MSM.

Last year we had two of our yearling fillies hind legs filled, they were also a little down in the dumps generally lethargic and off their food.. we blood tested and the results came back as viral. They remained outdoors with access to a big bedded barn and over the course of two weeks the limbs returned to normal and they went back to being their normal happy selves. Interstingly it always seems to happen at this time of year as our groom has a number of horses that have shown the same symptoms at her own yard the last few weeks, passing from one horse to the other but not all...

Two of mine were hit with something viral this winter that caused both hinds to stock up. They were slightly lethargic, but did not go off feed, run temps. They cleared up over a week's time and are fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Two of mine were hit with something viral this winter that caused both hinds to stock up. They were slightly lethargic, but did not go off feed, run temps. They cleared up over a week's time and are fine now.
    Thanks ML. Was hoping you would chime in. Talked to vet and she is not terribly concerned. Temp 100.6 and she is not lame. Gave her 3/4 g of bute. Hope it will just go away but I'm all anxious about the possibility of physitis (sp?)

Springer you should be able to differentiate between stocking up which will cause a soft edematous filling and may extend up the leg a bit and physitis which tends to make the joint itself look somewhat hourglass shaped and has less of a "soft" feel to the swelling. If at all in doubt I would have the vet out to be certain what you are dealing with.