The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default possibly dumb saddle tree question

I have been sort of shopping around for a bargain on a close contact saddle. There is a Stubben on craigslist that has a 28 cm tree. One of the trainers at the barn has a Stubben Edelweiss with a 31 cm tree that is too wide--it sits right on his withers.

My current saddle is not a Stubben, but it fits relatively well. It is woll-flocked and could use re-flocking. It also sits kind of low, but I have shims in my Thinline which mitigate that.

So, how would I go about measuring my current saddle to see if the CL saddle might fit him? On the Edelweiss, where would I measure that would give me 31 cm, so that I can measure the same place on my current saddle?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Go grab your trainer's Edelweiss. Raise up the flap on one of the sides and locate the tree point/pocket up near the left hand side of the top of the flap (if you are looking at the left side of the saddle) - it is a little leather "pouch" looking thing that is hard to the touch. This is where the points of the tree insert into the panels.

Okay - now that you know what/where those are, look at the saddle head on/from the front.

Take your tape measure from the tree point/pocket on one side to the tree point/pocket on the other side. You will be measuring OUTSIDE of the actual gullet space - does that make sense? You should be in the ball park of 31cm and it will give you a sense of how Stubbens are measured.

The tricky part is converting this measurement to your saddle. To start, just try doing the same technique - tree point to tree point across the front.

The thing that complicates the matter is padding - it is going to vary between manufactures and can throw off your measurement a bit or make the tree points on your saddle harder to find, or estimate location correctly. But it is at least a starting point. Good luck!

That is very helpful. Thanks!

The other details of the CL saddle are a good match--same height rider, made for a narrow TB with high withers. I hope it fits.

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    Go grab your trainer's Edelweiss. Raise up the flap on one of the sides and locate the tree point/pocket up near the left hand side of the top of the flap (if you are looking at the left side of the saddle) - it is a little leather "pouch" looking thing that is hard to the touch. This is where the points of the tree insert into the panels.

Okay - now that you know what/where those are, look at the saddle head on/from the front.

Take your tape measure from the tree point/pocket on one side to the tree point/pocket on the other side. You will be measuring OUTSIDE of the actual gullet space - does that make sense? You should be in the ball park of 31cm and it will give you a sense of how Stubbens are measured.

The tricky part is converting this measurement to your saddle. To start, just try doing the same technique - tree point to tree point across the front.

The thing that complicates the matter is padding - it is going to vary between manufactures and can throw off your measurement a bit or make the tree points on your saddle harder to find, or estimate location correctly. But it is at least a starting point. Good luck!
    Your advice worked. The tree in my current saddle is 29cm and I have to shim it, so the 28cm might be just right. Thanks!

A helmet saved my life.