The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Every-Day riding boot vs Show Day boot

Ok, I said No More Boot questions from me, but i have just ONE more.

Do most of you have one pair of boots for every day riding and another or Dress pair for show or are your daily ride/show boots one and the same?

My DAnksos are on the last leg - over 10 yrs old and since they are no more, I'm contemplating solutions. I've tried on Ariat paddock boots and am not pleased with any of them. They are out. Also i'm tired of my 15 yr old 1/2 chaps. They are ready for the recycle bin along with my paddock boots.

So do i spend some $$ and just buy 1 pair that i wear always or should i buy a less expensive long pair for daily use and save $$ for a show pair?

What boots for daily wear do you all like and why and about home much $$$?

I really love the Cavello Winner Plus boots and am thinking about buying them.

Lastly, zipper or no and why? I kinda love the idea of zipper.

TIA!

I have the Petrie Anky Elegance boots and I wear them all the time...for schooling and show. I found them on ebay for about $700.00. I feel as though I'm getting enough wear from them that they are worth every penny - and I've had them for about 4 years now. I get them resoled to keep them going, but the leather is still great and they are still nice and stiff. No zipper on mine, but they fit so well that I can pull them on without the pulls. I got mine before I started with my trainer - but they wear the same boots and they keep them on all day long without issues.

That being said, I have a pair of cheap paddock boots to wear until I'm ready to slip on my tall boots. I had Ariats - was sick of them falling apart, and now I just have Dublins.
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

Thanks Reddfox - is this Abby at Pavone?

I think the Petrie's are really pretty and wish i could try on a couple of different tall boots but around my neighborhood there are not really any choices beyond Ariat or the cheaper models. So i'll likely measure and order online.

No boot lasts forever. Most of the time that I ride, I ride in a pair of Dublin paddock boots. Compared to tall boots, they are cheap, and I do not worry about a little water on them if I am hosing down a horse. I gets hot many months of the year where I live, and tall boots are hotter as well. No, I do not wear half-chaps either. That would be as bad heatwise as wearing tall boots.

I have a really nice pair of Konigs that I ride in all the time. I am meticulous about taking care of them - wiping any mud, dirt sweat off after each ride, etc. I used to ride in paddock boots and half chaps, but my Konigs are so much stiffer that it was a totally different feel when I put them on just for shows. My trainer recommended I ride in them more often to get used to them, so I started riding in them for lessons. I really like the way they feel now, so I ride in them all the time.

I wear paddocks and half chaps for every day, except for lessons and clinics. If I know I've got a show or a clinic coming up, I will wear my tall boots more, as the feel is a bit different.

My paddocks and half chaps are quite stiff around my ankles, so I'm not flopping around in them.

I have my first pair of tall boots after schooling and showing in paddocks and half chaps (just schooling shows, obviously). I cannot bring myself to ride in those anymore- I love the feel of the tall boot. So I ride in them exclusively if I'm schooling. Now if I'm just farting around I might wear paddock boots- but working? I want my tall boots.

I only wear them to ride, period. I take them off before I hose a horse off or whatnot. Mine aren't super high end, but they are at the limit of what I'll pay, they are my high end (Mountain Horse with a zipper).

It depends. I ride in paddock boots and half chaps most of the time for pure convenience-I'm more comfortable in the paddock boots for things like chores and 4-H meetings and then I just zip on my half chaps and go.

When I do ride in tall boots, I ride in my show boots. I have the world's weirdest calf shape (wide, but ties in so low that boots that fit in the top of the calf aren't wide enough at ankle for my neverending calf muscle), and I wear the Fuller Fillies dress boots because the stretch panel makes them actually fit my whole leg.

I use my old pair (perfectly serviceable but ratty looking pair of five-year- old Equitectors, originally cost about $300) to ride in everyday and have a newish pair of the same boots for show. The problem is that I lost weight and both gape significantly at the calf now.

Once I got tall boots I didn't want to go back to half-chaps and paddock boots.

I generally ride in paddock boots and half chaps when it's just me. I wear my tall boots for all lessons and clinics. I wear the same pair of tall boots for shows - just clean and polish them up.

My current tall boots are the Mountain Horse Classic High Rider Dress Boot with zipper. Like the previous poster, I lost weight and now find these too large. I recently got a pair of Treadstone dressage boots also with a zipper. They are tight and need to be broken in. I need to start riding in them to accomplish that.

A zipper is not an option for me - my calf muscles are too big, and my leg narrows too much above them. Pull-ons look like I'm a little kid in Mom's boots because they are so loose on the top if they fit over the calf muscle.

I have customs, and don't wear them everyday because I want them to last. I'm thinking of getting some fuller fillies so they are big enough in the calf to wear daily. They won't look as good as my boots with far smaller ankles, but if they go on and I can ride in them daily for far less than customs, that'll work and I'd be ok with emergency backups for when my show boot zippers break.

I wear my tall boots for lessons and clinics, because I want to ride in them enough they don't feel strange at shows.

In winter, I wear Mountain Horse Ice Riders - winter boots come with big enough calves for me. In the summer I tend to ride in just paddocks without half chaps to stay cooler.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

For everyday riding I wear the fake leather, zip-up field boots from SmartPak (I think the brand name is Equistar). I don't feel bad walking through mud or getting them wet...I just wipe them down with a damp cloth. I do have large calves, so I have to be careful of how many layers I wear underneath...or else they won't zip!

Different pair for shows...nicer dressage boots (though I can't afford Petries or Konigs). I will wear them for every ride the week or so before a show so that I can adjust to any new feel in them.

When I'm off the horse puttering around the barn, I'm typically in clogs or my insulated Sorels or work boots.

I used to wear tall boots everyday. Only had one pair so I showed in them as well. They finally were coming pretty close to dying on me so I went out and bought a new pair, but this time I wanted a nice pair. So I summoned up the courage to spend 900 bucks on a pair of tall boots (De Niro Field Boots), b/c they are beautiful and I FINALLY have tall boots that look slender and pretty in the ankle instead of huge and bulky.
    But I ain't spending that kind of money to wear them for everyday riding and get gross and wrecked, so when my old tall boots finally gave out (just like a month after buying my new ones) I pulled out my old half chaps and paddock boots and have been wearing them ever since (probably 3 months or so). Initially I didn't like the feel, I felt they restricted my ankles and didn't make me feel close enough to my horse, but now that they have softened up and I am used to them they feel just fine. And I can keep my fancy tall boots for shows!

I started a bunch of years ago having two pair. The original dress boots were getting tough to keep in show condition with every day wear, so I watched sales and soon added a new pair "show only". The every day pair, which I'm quite hard on, got used until they fell apart - which took another couple years. I then began watching sales, internet surfing, and bought a new pair of more expensive "show only boots" and demoted the earlier "show only" pair.

This time around, I'm waiting for a pair of Mountain Horse dress boots to appear on the doorstep; found them for only $200, and they will replace the 5 yr old, well worn Ariats. (Still also thinking that I may take the well worn ariats and see if the local shoemaker can cheaply fix a couple things; if so they wont go into the garbage.)

I'm a big believer in two pairs - you NEVER know when something will break/tear or otherwise create a problem. (been there, done that...)

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    I use my old pair (perfectly serviceable but ratty looking pair of five-year- old Equitectors, originally cost about $300) to ride in everyday and have a newish pair of the same boots for show. The problem is that I lost weight and both gape significantly at the calf now.

Once I got tall boots I didn't want to go back to half-chaps and paddock boots.
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I have two pairs of Mountain Horse Sportive Highrider boots; one is for "everyday" and the other is saved for show (but because mare went lame right around the time I bought the boots, I have not actually used them yet... and need to start breaking them in, pronto!)

I ride better in tall boots, but for trail riding will always use paddock boots and half-chaps.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

As soon as i can save enough $$ i'm going to go for tall boots to wear for all riding and use work boots for chores and other barn tasks.

I've done a good job of getting every last step out of my Danskos - and i want to develop great comfort with my new tall boots.

The idea of saving $$ to add another pair is a great idea AND i'm going to look into the Mountain HOrse boots. I haven't tried them but it sounds like many like them.

I don't have skinny calves at all - but I can fit off the shelf tall boots so should be able to find something on ebay. Plus, i have time.

Ok, please dont say "Ew!" but I have a confession... I friggin LOVE my rubber ridding boots! I have the ones from Dover that have the elsatic insert in the back. They do look like leather, they are extremely comfortable, they fit me well, and that rubber sticks to the side of my saddle like GLUE. In fact, that glue-like effect even gives me a little confidence. Ive foxhunted in them, lesson, and trail ride in them. I havent showed in awhile, but just got a new horse, and am started to get back into the swing of things. Ive been looking at new boots, but I just cant find any (in my price range) that I like as well as these! LOL They are so warm in the winter too, but do get hot in the summer.
    When I was showing, I had a pair of Mountain Horse Sportive High Riders that I worshiped. I had the wide calf ones, but them I lost a bunch of weight and now I'm swimming in them. But they were great. Every now and then, if I'm riding when its SUPER cold out, and wear several layers, I still pull them out as they'll fit easily over my calves.

I'll confess to being very hard on my boots. I ride a lot of horses and usually am zipping around doing miscellaneous chores too and don't take the best care of them that I should. I have mongo huge calves and skinny ankles. Due to injury the boots have to have full zippers or I can not put them on.

Currently I am milking the last of the winter out of a pair of Ariats and half chaps for every day use. However, the boots are useless without mukluk rubbers and have great ventilation, oops, I mean lots of holes. The Tredsteps are also wearing through and have been mended 2xs. So it is coming down to decision time for what to do next...

I used to have a show pair of Petries or Cavallos (found on Ebay for cheap(er) usually) and then the every day pair. When the everyday pair would wear out (too many holes in the ankles/not able to be re-soled again), I would get another new pair of show boots and move the 'old' show boots into the everyday circulation.

My mom and dad bought me a very nice pair or Petries in oxblood brown for Christmas (Ebay). The leather is much finer/lighter duty, so I'm only using them for clinics/photo or video sessions with the stallions or sales horses.

I did see a pair of Petries with a rubberized sole/elastic gusset/zipper and not so fancy/shiny leather for about $200 on Ebay. They looked promising as it would be the same 'feel' without quite the sting on the bank account. Dehner's makes a similar boot but haven't looked at them beyond the pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    My mom and dad bought me a very nice pair or Petries in oxblood brown for Christmas (Ebay). The leather is much finer/lighter duty, so I'm only using them for clinics/photo or video sessions with the stallions or sales horses.
    I have repeatedly drooled over those boots when I've seen them in photos!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Mom and Dad rock! <3 I'm lucky to have such awesome parents!

I will add that while I was still eventing I had a pair of $80 field boots made of pseudo leather. They felt like slippers rather than boots to me, but they lasted 2 full years of eventing 2-3xs per month and jumping 3-5xs/week. The zipper blew out hilltopping on Boxing Day.