The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay net/bag/thingies for horses who need hay soaked and on ground?

Looks like I now have a hay soaking requirement. :-( At least possibly momentarily. Hay needs to be soaked and on ground. Horse is messy so hay needs to be contained. Cinch Chix cinch net small bale? http://cinchchix.com/online-catalog.html Other recommendations?

You're right on the money with a Cinch Chix net.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I had boarded at a barn that had 2 horses that needed their hay soaked. The hay for the feeding would get soaked in a clean muck bucket..then the flake would get placed in a rubber feed pail on the ground. both horses did fine
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

I was soaking last summer and will again if my horse seems to be reacting to dust in the hay again (or if it gets infested with ants again, like it did last year - drowning those suckers solves problems!)

I used a muck bucket - fill it pretty far, soak 5-10 minutes, hand on top of the hay and tip. Any water left at that point, my horse would drink as he got down. Because his hay was wet he felt no need to pull it out to try to dunk it elsewhere.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

It depends upon why you're soaking. Those of us soaking for laminitis or metabolic issues need to soak for longer periods. I use the old style hay nets since hay is weighed out in strict increments. Soak for at least an hour, drain, rinse, drain and then feed. In the stall I use cinch net. My pastures are such that I have no where to hang a hay bag/net so am looking at building something like the slow grazer.

I had a horse here that needed his hay soaked for awhile. I put a screw eye in the corner of the stall and used a snap link to hook a muck bucket to it. I would put in the hay and water. The bucket stayed in place, the horse was eating off the ground as he should and it was easy to unsnap and clean if needed. Just don't buy the $3.99 muck-bucket look-alike from Wally world. That one didn't survive the first night, lol.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm