The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need 6 hay apparatuses. Who has Cinch Chix "Free Up Feeder"? Yay or neigh?

Is it safe? http://cinchchix.com/online-catalog.html

I am in need of 6 hay containing apparatuses. Stalls are 12x14 with comfort stall mats and sad little tiny 12x16 attached paddocks (All that the landscape would allow for. Way better than nothing.). Not a fan of waste - hay, bedding, or my stall cleaners time. What do you recommend for efficiency? Could the Free Up Feeder be it? Or?

My horses are kept outside and I use the cinchchix whole bale nets. I love them!

I got a couple of the free up feeders thinking I'd put them in the run-ins, but they were too small *for my purposes*. They hold approx. 3 flakes of east coast 40 lb. bales of hay. This may be the amount you want.

Their nets are high quality.

I use the Nibble Nets. Love them.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I don't have those, but do have a couple of Cinch Chix hay nets that I hang outside so the horses don't waste as much hay. (they are out 24/7)

They are certainly an improvement on regular hay nets, but still not as easy to fill as the Nibble Nets. Which are virtually indestructible, by the way.

If you want to have something hanging low, look at the Nibble Nets--they are pretty indestructible and IMO safer than netting to hang down low. But I do like that Free Up Feeder idea, I just worry a little bit about shod horses getting their feet up near anything that is a string or long, thin pieces of unbreakable material.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I don't have those, but do have a couple of Cinch Chix hay nets that I hang outside so the horses don't waste as much hay. (they are out 24/7)

They are certainly an improvement on regular hay nets, but still not as easy to fill as the Nibble Nets. Which are virtually indestructible, by the way.

If you want to have something hanging low, look at the Nibble Nets--they are pretty indestructible and IMO safer than netting to hang down low. But I do like that Free Up Feeder idea, I just worry a little bit about shod horses getting their feet up near anything that is a string or long, thin pieces of unbreakable material.

I wish that were true........I have 4 mares and their nibble nets are fine but my two geldings had destroyed theirs in a couple of months.

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    I wish that were true........I have 4 mares and their nibble nets are fine but my two geldings had destroyed theirs in a couple of months.

Dalemma

I agree and have the same experience! I have 2 different models. Less than a year old - I have this one big model with coated canvas. It is cracking. The webbing is also fraying. There are these two poorly designed dee ring and strap closures at the stop that have these ridiculously short straps. If the bag is full to capacity it is hard to close and the closure often opens up. I recall paying about $70 for it.

do you feed rounds or squares

squares. and this is needed mainly for stall use. If I could take them out to the mud free paddocks and put them full of hay into the big rubber maid stock tanks that I put hay into, that would be great.

I'm interested in the replys.

I will probably be moving my mare to a different barn this spring and would love to figure out an easy to use slow feeder that would be feeder (as in the person doing the feeding) freindly and fast. The stalls already have large corner feeders and was looking at either a Nibble Net or Cinch Chix feeder with the frame to put over the existing feeder so the dropped stuff ends up in the feeder. I don't know if the BM will go for it but I want to try as my mare is an easy keeper and I would like to make her hay last as long as possible.

Susan

I've timed it and it takes me 4 minutes to put a bale in a cinchchix net (vs. 2 minutes to distribute 2 bales in piles on the ground). I love the cinchchix nets but they are a little bit of a pain to use.

The free up feeder might be faster. And someone earlier said the nibblenets were easier. Just something to think about for your new barn's feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    Not a fan of waste - hay, bedding, or my stall cleaners time. What do you recommend for efficiency? Could the Free Up Feeder be it? Or?

I own a huge hay-waster and it drives me crazy!

I've been feeding him out of a small mesh hay net - one that I think I got as SS tack - for several months and it has been working well to prevent (as much) waste. So well that I decided my other horse should get the same treatment.

And then taking the nets down and filling them became more time consuming than I like. So I looked around and decided to make a home-made version of this: http://www.haypocket.net/detail.html

I just used two of the Chicks (the $6.99 Tough-1 brand) small mesh nets and cut the closing/hanging loop out of it. Got a couple of dowels at Home Depot and cut them to size and drilled holes in the end. Added a couple of screw eyes, double-ended snaps and raided my plethora of bailing twine.

But, I can't tell you yet how well they work - I just hung them up last night. They were easier and faster to fill than a normally suspended hay net.
    Last edited by SimpleSimon; Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: clarify which hay net I'm using

Have never used the product, but the one in the photo is mounted too low, IMHO. The mesh looks pretty flimsy, too. I like the heavier mesh of the haypocket.

If you have a friend who crochets you can recycle your poly twine into a dandy haynet with holes any size you want.

As far as filling haynets quikcly: suspend them inside an empty trash can, draping some of the netting over the rim of the can, all the way around the rim. Drop the hay in and pull up the hanging cord. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post

Dalemma
    my two geldings destroyed their NN too within 6 months. Split the stitching on the vinyl side and tore out most of the D rings.

The beasts can't seem to destroy the simple $10 small mesh hay net from Millers though. They've lasted well over a year now. I can fill them with about 20# of hay in under a minute, I just use a regular muck tub.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I use the Nibble Nets. Love them.
    Ditto, they're sturdier and cheaper.

Thumbs up

I don't have the free up feeder, but I have a couple of the whole bale nets. I've had one for about 2 or 3 months and so far the baby* hasn't destroyed it, which says a lot. He eats from it constantly.

They do save a lot of hay. He used to waste hay everywhere. I did have to secure the nets, because when they're empty, he would get frustrated and toss it all over the stall. That's also why I got a second one.

My friend got one that you hang on a pipe corral and you put the hay in and its in the net in the stall, if that's the one you mean, she must like it, I haven't heard anything bad.

Have the Chicks nets for alfalfa (ulcer issues led to this slow feed net quest), and got the hay pocket for grass hay - smaller holes (1.5" vs. 2" on Chicks). I had rigged my Chicks sort of like the cinch chix with a big rope to close them, but prefer the dowel method of the hay pocket- much easier on BO to fill nets. So, next nice weekend, I'll be reconfiguring the Chicks nets as hay pockets... the chicks nets are $7.99 and have held up great - others noted them as a great option, I concur!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyandBaron View Post
    Have the Chicks nets for alfalfa (ulcer issues led to this slow feed net quest), and got the hay pocket for grass hay - smaller holes (1.5" vs. 2" on Chicks). I had rigged my Chicks sort of like the cinch chix with a big rope to close them, but prefer the dowel method of the hay pocket- much easier on BO to fill nets. So, next nice weekend, I'll be reconfiguring the Chicks nets as hay pockets... the chicks nets are $7.99 and have held up great - others noted them as a great option, I concur!

What does "hold plenty of hay" really mean, as described in their product description?http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/SF1802

How big are these things? As in how many flakes and how many pounds?

Thanks!