The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2006
    Location
    Langley, BC
    Posts
    75

    Default Looking for dressage stallion suggestions

    I have decided that I do want to breed my 16 year old maiden mare. She is an anglo arab x belgium warmblood, approx 16.1hands. She is refined, sensitive and moves well. The resulting foal I would like to be around the same size.
    Any suggestions of what dressage stallions throw a nice refined foal, with a very trainable mind, that have good semen. I do not mind frozen semen. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks.
    Westglen Farm
    Home of In Shining Armor, RID
    www.westglenfarm.net



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2005
    Location
    Oxford, USA
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    If you are breeding for a dressage horse, what level has your mare trained up to? What level do you hope to achieve with the offspring? If your goals are young horse tests which max out at third level you might have a different list of stallions from a goal of grand prix. Your mare's talent for upper level work is very much part of the equation if the latter is the case.

    Interior qualities are much more important that the exterior, and threads like this tend of be veiled ads for stallion owners. I personally put very little merit on the "independent" opinions from this board. Since you will be bearing the financial and emotional burden of of bringing up a foal, make sure that your choice is about function more than fashion.

    Good luck with your search!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,273

    Default

    OP, since you are in British Columbia, you may want to go look at the Dreamscape Farm stallions. They have a very good selection of top quality stallions, and I am sure you could find at least one that meets your criteria.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2010
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post

    Interior qualities are much more important that the exterior, and threads like this tend of be veiled ads for stallion owners. I personally put very little merit on the "independent" opinions from this board. Since you will be bearing the financial and emotional burden of of bringing up a foal, make sure that your choice is about function more than fashion.

    Good luck with your search!
    THIS! I've been searching for a stallion for my mare and have asked everyone I can think of that is an expert in my breed. I've contacted top breeders who are active in the breed club, most of them own a stallion. They always recommend THEIR stallion and NONE others!

    It's so frustrating! I'm asking for advice in finding the BEST stallion for my mare, it would be nice if you could get expert help from these people as breed experts, NOT as 'stallion owners' if that makes sense. This goes for people in Germany as well as the US.

    Ok, rant over.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    681

    Default

    I am not a stallion owner but I don't like to make any suggestions without seeing some pictures or video of a mare. I can think of tons of stallions that are dressage oriented with good temperaments and will not add a lot of size. I see no point in making a gigantic list if there is no further criteria. If anyone tells me more specifically what they are looking for (what gaits or areas of conformation need improving), I would be happy to make some suggestions. The more info you give us (pedigree, conf pix, show record, at liberty video, whatever!), the more we can actually make educated suggestions =)



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2002
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    7,774

    Default

    I agree with DY. Go visit Dreamscape. Large selection to choose from right in your own back yard.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    (This is an independent recommendation) I would highly recommend contacting Hilltop Farm and/or Iron Spring Farm. They breed almost exclusively for dressage suitability and both stand quit a few stallions. They will be able to help you determine the specifics of what to improve on or what is already great with your current mare. Also, because they are both so well promoted, they get far more breedings with a larger variety of mares for their stallions than a small breeder. They will likely have real knowledge of how Bugatti or UB40 (just for examples) specifically cross with an arab/wb cross. Even if you don't ultimately choose one of their stallions, I think the knowledge and awareness of breeding will be very helpful. They may also recommend a specific niche, like a Donnerhall line stallion. Even if you don't pick their Donnerhall son, you will know to look at other ones.

    If you do look at Hilltop, I'm a huge Contucci fan! He's an older stallion with a lot of offspring out there. I'm yet to see one I didn't like. They are all beautiful movers with fun, sometimes goofy, trainable personalities. He is tall, but his offspring seem to get more influence on height from the dam. He has also sired at least a couple Dressage at Devon champions, including a grand champion
    http://hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_contucci.html

    Another thing, I wouldn't personally consider frozen given her age and maiden status.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2010
    Location
    Wellington/Ft.Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westglen Farm View Post
    I have decided that I do want to breed my 16 year old maiden mare. She is an anglo arab x belgium warmblood, approx 16.1hands. She is refined, sensitive and moves well. The resulting foal I would like to be around the same size.
    Any suggestions of what dressage stallions throw a nice refined foal, with a very trainable mind, that have good semen. I do not mind frozen semen. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RunHikeGolden View Post
    (This is an independent recommendation) I would highly recommend contacting Hilltop Farm and/or Iron Spring Farm. They breed almost exclusively for dressage suitability and both stand quit a few stallions. They will be able to help you determine the specifics of what to improve on or what is already great with your current mare. Also, because they are both so well promoted, they get far more breedings with a larger variety of mares for their stallions than a small breeder. They will likely have real knowledge of how Bugatti or UB40 (just for examples) specifically cross with an arab/wb cross. Even if you don't ultimately choose one of their stallions, I think the knowledge and awareness of breeding will be very helpful. They may also recommend a specific niche, like a Donnerhall line stallion. Even if you don't pick their Donnerhall son, you will know to look at other ones.

    If you do look at Hilltop, I'm a huge Contucci fan! He's an older stallion with a lot of offspring out there. I'm yet to see one I didn't like. They are all beautiful movers with fun, sometimes goofy, trainable personalities. He is tall, but his offspring seem to get more influence on height from the dam. He has also sired at least a couple Dressage at Devon champions, including a grand champion
    http://hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_contucci.html

    Another thing, I wouldn't personally consider frozen given her age and maiden status.

    I am by no means a breeding expert, but I can attest to the fact that in my case UB40 crossed beautifully on the Arabian mare that I leased... my boy got the best of both worlds.

    As for size, UB40 is 16.2, dam is 15.1, and we expect him to reach at least 16-16.1 (He is 15.1 as a 2 year old).

    He is very refined as well...quite a stunner in my opinion, with large, lofty movement with tons of suspension!!!

    Plus, Meghan at ISF is awesome!!!
    Samantha Werner

    There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers



Similar Threads

  1. Stallion suggestions for dressage? # PLEASE READ POST 37! #
    By SCMSL in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Dec. 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
  2. Dressage Stallion Suggestions?
    By Dev.R in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jul. 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
  3. Stallion suggestions for dressage?
    By SCMSL in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun. 20, 2012, 08:06 PM
  4. Dressage stallion suggestions
    By bornfreenowexpensive in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2011, 09:31 PM
  5. Event/Dressage stallion suggestions...
    By okggo in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 3, 2008, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness