The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why/why not use a skull cap?

I'm going thru my options for a new helmet, and was wondering people's opinions on skull caps (I've always worn one for schooling and XC, but after hearing a comment about lawsuits involving non-brimmed helmets, I'm thinking of going brimmed).

So... If you currently wear one, why do you prefer it?

Or if you don't wear one, is there a reason why not?

I use one simply because it fits me really really well. The best of all my helmets. The others FIT, but not as well as the skull cap. I defer to the ventilated schooling helmet when it's hot and the hunt-style (but certified of course) one for dressage and SJ but everywhere else it's the skullcap.

Brims vs. no brims--bah. Until I see compelling evidence that one is clearly superior safety-wise in a wide range of scenarios, it's a tempest in a teacup IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

What law suits have there been involving non-brimmed helmets? I have heard of basal skull fractures occuring (20-30 years ago) with brimmed helmets (rider landing face first and the rigid brim pushed the helmet back), but that was early on in approved helmets when the designs were still a work in progress..and why a lot of people went with skull caps. Brims are no longer rigid and most nowadays are much smaller...because of those accidents.

I just LIKE having a skull cap. But I have several helmets in different varieties, so may not be the best to talk to

I have a CO skull cap and I have a CO Jr8 and I love both. I have worn both in dressage, stadium and x-country. I really like that way the both fit me, I find both very confortable. I guess for looks I like the Jr8 for dressage and stadium and I like the skull cap for x-country.
    No Worries!

I prefer a skull cap. especailly for XC.
    they just feel more protective to me.

+ brimmed helmets sometimes block vision on XC. Hence the reason they are unbrimmed and the brims on the covers usually stick up a little bit.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I have a CO Skull Cap for XC and a GPA for Dressage and SJ.

I also prefer the skull on xc due to the vision issue. My GPA doesn't cut a lot in to my view, but I do notice it.

Tipperary Sportage is what I wear except for stadium/dressage.

Well I'm not an eventer myself, but do use a skull cap because of my racetrack career. I wasn't even looking for a new helmet when I tried this one on, and it was so perfect and comfortable, I bought it and retired my old one that day. It was a $300 helmet about a dozen years ago. I have a black cover for it (which is now faded and not fancy). I use it for everything, but then, I am not the fashion police, and do not care what others think. It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys. I don't know how it stacks up against the "GPA's" and other "stylish", "popular" or "rated" show or sport helmets. But I suspect it is OK. The black cover has a brim on it, fully flexable. Custom made at the track. They can make anything you want in terms of colours.

Pics on my website.

I have two skull caps and they are my fave helmets. That being said, I have an ovation schooler that is the most comfortable helmet, but that is not the point of this topic.

I just like the way that my Skull caps fit. I have the J3 and the Pro II, which are supposed to fit different, but they both fit me fine with no headaches or lose gaps against the head.

The one thing that I hate about them is that they are super hot, even my pro II with vents.

I would not mind riding in a fixed brim for XC, but I just have always been taught that it is safer to ride in a flex brim for visibility and for preventing neck injuries. I don't have to because I have two skull caps so I guess that I wont.

I also have a fancy CO hampton, GPA, and CO Ayr8 so really I think I have too many for one head.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I have a J3 that I only did XC in...but this past year when the temp spiked over 100(!) I rode in my Tipperary helmet. I recently received the Pro II for Christmas, but I'm not sure if that helmet will keep me cool during XC. Love the fit of the Pro II but I also love the fit of my Tipperary. I usually school in the T but also have a CO Show Jumper XP for dressage.
    Find something that comfortably fits your head.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.”

I don't have one. (1) I think they look weird and they are expensive (2) I don't understand the point of a brim on the cover if it's flipped up (3) I love my Tipp Sportage and it's cheaper and my head doesn't get as hot.

So that's why I don't have one.

I have a J3 in addition to my CO Wellington Pro. TBH, I bought it when I first got into eventing because I thought they looked cool and it seemed like all the "real" eventers had them! I tend to wear it when I don't feel like putting my hair up in a hairnet. I prefer to go XC in my Wellington Pro because I don't like how the sun gets in my eyes without the brim.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I've had greenies hit me in the face with their neck on 2 different occasions (that I can specifically think of... *sigh*)

One time was breaking a baby and i got a face full of neck as i was getting on wearing a Troxel (Legacy, I think)schooling helmet with plastic brim.

A different time, quite a few years later, big OTTB spooked and thew himself up a bit, bopping me, but i was wearing my skull with a cover (soft plastic/flexible brim).

The occasion wearing the Troxel knocked me out and put me in the hospital for 2 days with a bad concussion.

The occasion with the OTTB had me thinking "wow, I'm glad there was some flex room there... the extra inch or two seemed helpful"

Just my experience... but now that my skull cap sadly needs replaced, I'll be replacing it with another skull cap instead of one of the stunning AYR8's that I've been lusting after...
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    Well I'm not an eventer myself, but do use a skull cap because of my racetrack career. I wasn't even looking for a new helmet when I tried this one on, and it was so perfect and comfortable, I bought it and retired my old one that day. It was a $300 helmet about a dozen years ago. I have a black cover for it (which is now faded and not fancy). I use it for everything, but then, I am not the fashion police, and do not care what others think. It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys. I don't know how it stacks up against the "GPA's" and other "stylish", "popular" or "rated" show or sport helmets. But I suspect it is OK. The black cover has a brim on it, fully flexable. Custom made at the track. They can make anything you want in terms of colours.

Pics on my website.
    Are you saying your helmet is 12 years old? YOu should definitely get a new one, the foam/Styrofoam breaks down over time. You should get a new helmet every 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I know for me, as a jumper convert, I was riding in my GPA and thought I was totally fine. Took a great fall and had to retire the helmet (a literal vertical dive into the ground, crown first). I then got a skullcap after that just because I was an eventer now and wanted to look the part. Suddenly, I had a MUCH easier time keeping my body back on down banks. Apparently, the GPA was heavy enough to really pendulum the rest of my body forward at every drop.

It is a Florida sourced helmet, rated for racing speeds, for jockeys.
    As far as I am aware, ASTM certified is ASTM certified, and there is no higher standard for jockeys, or faster speeds. So I wouldn't delude myself necessarily that a helmet specifically meant for jockeys is "better".

And although the skeptical part of me believes that the "replace your helmet every 5 years" thing is mostly a ploy to make people buy more helmets, I do replace mine a little more often than once every 12 years.
    Click here before you buy.

Once you get the brim of a helmet caught on a branch whilst traveling at speed, you'll never wear a fixed brim again. It hasn't happened to me bc I won't wear one but I did have my silk helmet cover pulled off by a low hanger on an xc course (Bromont) once and it gave me a horrid whiplash. If that had been a brimmed helmet my neck might have broken.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

And although the skeptical part of me believes that the "replace your helmet every 5 years" thing is mostly a ploy to make people buy more helmets, I do replace mine a little more often than once every 12 years.
    I seem to have to replace mine at least every 5 years because I can't go that long without hitting the ground!
    "I am literally a pillar in my community"

When I had to replace my Tipperary after landing on it, I bought a Pro II simply because it was the closest fit to my AYR8 show helmet that fits better than anything else I've worn, but is significantly less expensive to fall off in than the AYR8
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Hey guys, id be interested in these helmets. Can you guys post a link to the ones you like, so i can check them out?