The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Options for 3 to 4 horses with a bumper pull trailer

Does anybody make a straight load 3 or 4 horse bumper pull trailer anymore? Just sold a 1976 Kingston 4 horse straight load (the ramp rusted and fell off.) Is a stock trailer our only choice? I do not like slant loads. I might be able to live with a stock combo, with a dressing room for our gear. I have a Suburban, no intention of getting a pickup truck, love my Suburban. Any suggestions? I saw a cool looking Hawk, but it was sold (and it was a stock combo, not a straight load.) Love the Featherlite but haven't seen any actually available. I do see the same model of trailer I just sold, but I imagine it's in similar shape. - http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2849603807.html

Hawke can make you a 2+1 straight load bumper pull....They offered to make me one for my Chevy 2500 Avalance since i can't use a gooseneck

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    I do see the same model of trailer I just sold, but I imagine it's in similar shape. - http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2849603807.html
    For $1000, I'm not sure why you wouldn't go check it out. That leaves you a lot of extra money to work with in terms of sprucing it up, where needed. My local place can replace a ramp for $500, the shop down the road can paint the whole thing for $1500. Windows replaced, probably another $500. New floor, another $500.

That's only $4000 for the exact trailer you want.

Most places won't make a trailer that big...that's a lot of weight/length to tow as a bumper pull.

I've seen the Hawk with the front unload but the dressing room has a slant wall and the head divider is in the way of a third horse. I've been looking at the Gore, thinking it would work - http://www.goretrailers.com/trailer3a.htm
    We looked at this trailer while at Pony Club festival last summer and really like it. It's not cheap, but I've heard good things about Gore. But it's pricey.

We had always intended to fix up our Kingston, but just never had the time or the money or the energy. Of course, what I really want is a van, but those are *really* pricey.

Keep in mind that if you de get/find a 3-4 BP you had better be putting some cashola on the side fior a new tow vehicle....With that weight your burb wont last long.

^ bull. Unless you know exactly which make and model she's towing with, and exactly what type of trailer. Yes, hauling four draft horses would burn out the truck, but assume that the poster is going to remain under the tongue and GVW ratings instead of assuming she's an idiot.

I have only seen stock trailers that could straight-haul 3-4 horses as bumper pulls. Our modified Bronco pulled a basic steel stock that you could haul 4 smallish horses in, and it pulled it well. It did have an upgraded transmission, suspension and brakes though, and was one of the really heavy-framed models.

That same trailer would not have accommodated my warmblood or draft horses though, and even 2 large horses started to limit the tow vehicle in the scenario. Broncos have shorter wheelbases than Suburbans, but a bumper pull that size with two large horses in it started to create a LOT of steering feedback.

With straight loading horse-specific trailers, they are often taller than usual stock trailers, and have more "features" which add to the weight...they are more often designed to be pulled by a larger vehicle.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

My boss currently has a 4 horse stock combo with dividers. It is a Sundowner BP and was custom made by the previous owner. I hate it. Ok, that's not entirely true (it looks nice and is comfortable for the horses) but if I personally were to get anything larger than a 2 horse trailer, I would get a GN. The bigger issue in my situation is the truck - it's a F150 Sport so in my opinion is WAY to small to be towning a trailer that large with 4 horses in it. The trailer significantly outweights the truck when loaded and thus tends to tell the truck where to go instead of vice versa. Since you are not interested in replacing your towing vehicle, may I suggest a slightly shorter trailer? By the way, we do have a weight distributing hitch with sway bars, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    Keep in mind that if you de get/find a 3-4 BP you had better be putting some cashola on the side fior a new tow vehicle....With that weight your burb wont last long.
    This Suburban is a 3/4 ton, heavy duty everything, with a 4.10 gear ratio, a class V hitch and big chevy V-8. It's rated for 12,000 pounds. It took me three years to find this truck, and the dealer tried to talk me out of the gearing, which I knew I wanted. It's a towing monster! I've towed a Kingston 4 horse steel trailer with it, with no issues whatsoever, on long hauls. No sway, no difficulties. Set up with a weight distributing hitch and a sway bar. It pulls nice. I love my Burby.

Quote Originally Posted by RooMB4 View Post
    My boss currently has a 4 horse stock combo with dividers. It is a Sundowner BP and was custom made by the previous owner. I hate it. Ok, that's not entirely true (it looks nice and is comfortable for the horses) but if I personally were to get anything larger than a 2 horse trailer, I would get a GN. The bigger issue in my situation is the truck - it's a F150 Sport so in my opinion is WAY to small to be towning a trailer that large with 4 horses in it. The trailer significantly outweights the truck when loaded and thus tends to tell the truck where to go instead of vice versa. Since you are not interested in replacing your towing vehicle, may I suggest a slightly shorter trailer? By the way, we do have a weight distributing hitch with sway bars, etc.
    I had someone interested in my steel 4 horse Kingston and I talked her out of it because her truck was a 1500. My Suburban is essentially a 2500, but it has 1 ton springs and etc, because it has heavy duty everything.

I have a 29 foot camper that I tow with this vehicle, and I'm a little surprised at the lack of longer bumper pull horse trailers. I know a horse trailer has to be made heavier than a camper, but I'm not seeing anything longer than 20 feet.

More to add. As I mentioned, the one he has is by sundowner and while it's a custom, length-wise, I believe they do make a 3 horse. The other thing I forgot to mention is, if you are't familiar with it already, you might want to chcek out www.horsetrailerworld.com. It's a classified site for horse trailers. Might find something you like!

Nope you can get a Straight wall w/ Hawke and you can configure the head divider any way you want or remove it...I have been inside and also have drawing and pricing for 1 from Hawke Dealer...you pay you can get pretty much what you want...