The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smartphones and riding

I currently have a small Palm Pre that easily fits into my breeches. I'm about to move up to an IPhone, though. How do you guys handle smartphones when riding?

Slip into top of my half chaps. By the way, LOVE the timer function for trot sets! I swear my horse can tell when it is about signal when time is up.
    friend of bar.ka

I usually just leave my phone in the barn while I'm riding. I don't normally take calls or texts while on the horse anyway.
    However, the Kerrits breeches do have a stretchy external pocket on the leg that fits my RAZR nicely, that's handy to have if I do want to carry my phone with me.

I shove my iphone into my front pocket. I mostly wear jeans when I ride, so its easy.

Since it's cold, if I do wear breeches, I put it in my zippered jacket pocket.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Check out the Lifeproof cases, too. As protective as the Otterbox, but totally waterproof.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/cases/iphone-4-4s
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Default I just got one

I just got one and I have to have a phone around the barn since I'm usually on my own. I kept my old flip phone as I can still call 911 if need be and I use that for the barn. I did, however, buy a rubber case that comes with a velcro strap if I do feel I ever need to strap my iphone to me.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Check out the Lifeproof cases, too. As protective as the Otterbox, but totally waterproof.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/cases/iphone-4-4s
    These are pretty cool... I just heard about them the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by SunkenMeadow View Post
    I have the Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 4S. I love it, even if it's not waterproof.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    I usually just leave my phone in the barn while I'm riding. I don't normally take calls or texts while on the horse anyway.
    However, the Kerrits breeches do have a stretchy external pocket on the leg that fits my RAZR nicely, that's handy to have if I do want to carry my phone with me.
    I don't have a smart phone so mine fits in my bra. It's a safety issue for me. I ride alone and if I get hurt at least I might be able to call for help.

I believe there are at least 2 CotHers who have done this recently
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have the case with the armband for workouts. If I fall off I think it will hurt less and survive better than being in a pocket. The half chap idea was cool! I worry a lot more about my iPhone than I did my little flip phone. Couldn't kill that little guy, still going strong after over 4 years and the battery life was great. And no lip like I get from Siri.

Right now I put it on the inside pocket of my jacket since it's cold out. I like having it in case my horse decides to try to kill me and I need 911!

Someone posted the Spibelt/Spybelt (can't remember) and it looked like a good option.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default JEANS POCKET ALL THE TIME ````

IPHONE IN OTTERBOX IN JEANS POCKET ALL THE TIME ```

WHILE IT SEEMED AKWARD AND BULKY AT FIRST ``` EASY TO GET USED TO AND WORKS JUST FINE ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Mine lives in my jeans (or breeches) pocket from the time I get up til I go to bed, riding included.

I got a Nite Ize clip case for my LG Rumor Touch smart phone. The clip attaches to my belt, ingenious "double" lip means it won't fall off during gallops, nice strong velcro close, but easy to open.

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Unive...9364003&sr=8-5
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

I got a dollar store camera case that has a belt loop. If I know I'm going to be riding alone on trail in the summer, I always wear breeches with belt loops so I can attach it to my belt. I want to try the armband thingy, but I have skinny little pencil limbs and I feel like it would slide down anywhere I put it. Ditto on the half chaps (I can just see it sliding down to the ground, even though I know that's unlikely) or the bra (ain't nothin' there to hold it).

The one good thing about winter is that I always have a coat with pockets... though, of course, I'm mostly riding inside, with people around now. So I don't usually end up carrying the phone anyway. Sigh.

I do want to get an Otterbox soon, if only because it has Otter in the name, and I love otters.

My Iphone fits into the front pocket of my tailored sportsmans (regular ones and trophy hunter) as well as my jeans.

I have a droid bionic...its too big for my pockets...it pushes things apart in my bra...so jalf chaps is a good idea... i have a legendary jacket from deergear.com a softshell womens zip jacket...it works perfect ... zipped pockets good for keeping treats in gaoing over them jumps too!!!!

I have the lifeproof case. It seemed like a good idea for me .

I zip my iphone into my jacket pocket or put it in a saddle bag.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Front jeans pocket. iPhone is a little bulky but you get used to it.