The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've had a 3H GN with rear tack going on 6 years. Now I don't haul a ton of strange horses but I did train a baby (3 YO) to load in it in about 10 minutes, and he was one of those who had never left his home property and even with the rear tack in place, it wasn't a huge deal to teach him.

Only once has that weirdly angled back stall presented an issue - large/long horse who started to think he was trapped when I asked him to back out. Now he'd been in that trailer before but he was blonde like that, and he started to panic and think about crawling out the window (I'd opened it to have better access to his face and ask him to back...so he got my full-on palm to his forehead- it startled him enough to throw it in reverse and tada, back off of the trailer. We then loaded/unloaded him 4-5 times calmly (LOL) and he learned to accept he could in fact, back off.

I use my dressing room as a LQ so the tack has to go back there. At shows my clean show clothes, show pads, tall boots, etc live in the LQ while the tack is in the tack area. I love that it stays separate and somewhat clean while the truck then has room for the cooler and the cold beer. I do wish my trailer was 8' wide. Do NOT buy a 7' trailer with rear tack. A foot makes a huge difference.

Collapsing the rear tack takes a minute, tops. Assuming there's not three saddles and three pads and a zillion brushes and bridles in there. It gets secured in it's collapsed position. You could not store anything back there. There is no hardware to worry about.

I like the collapsable rear tack, would not want a trailer that had a rear tack that could not be collapsed. It is easy to do, but, of course, I have to remove the saddle rack which is easy enough. When mine is collapsed, I can hang halters and bridles. I know there is enough room for a broom when it is collapsed, but am not sure about a pitchfork. I will try to measure that space and post the measurement here.
    When my tack is open, I leave the door on that side closed. Then there is not an odd-looking space to concern the horses. Open or collapsed, it is not an issue for my horses. They just have a bit more space with it collapsed, and a couple of mine are quite large. I keep it open, though, more than collapsed.

eta. With my rear tack collapsed, there is a space that is as wide as 5 and 1/2 inches. That is at the back and it tapers in so that it's narrower as it get closer to the hinges (toward the front on the trailer).

I have a 3H GN slant Exiss, step-up. The saddle rack is in the dressing room. Like many others, I just store "dirty" stuff back there- extra hay and nets, pitchfork, etc. I think I've closed mine up maybe twice- when we put 2 ponies in the last slot. It's not difficult to close/open at all. I've never had a problem loading anything into it- definitely not experienced horses, and I think the longest it's ever taken me to get a never-been-off-the-farm horse on has been about half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

I use my dressing room as a LQ so the tack has to go back there. At shows my clean show clothes, show pads, tall boots, etc live in the LQ while the tack is in the tack area. I love that it stays separate and somewhat clean while the truck then has room for the cooler and the cold beer. I do wish my trailer was 8' wide. Do NOT buy a 7' trailer with rear tack. A foot makes a huge difference.
    Katarine,
    I also use my DR as my LQ at shows but I've been able to do it with my tack in there too. I leave the cooler in the truck. The trailer I am about to get is only 7 feet wide. I hadn't thought of that.
    My other concern is that I've never had a rear tack so my horses are all used to loading with lots of space and I usually turn them around to walk off the trailer. I found that they slip less on the ramp going off "forward" rather than backing off.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    When mine is collapsed, I can hang halters and bridles. I know there is enough room for a broom when it is collapsed, but am not sure about a pitchfork. I will try to measure that space and post the measurement here.

eta. With my rear tack collapsed, there is a space that is as wide as 5 and 1/2 inches. That is at the back and it tapers in so that it's narrower as it get closer to the hinges (toward the front on the trailer).
    Coyoteco,

Thanks for the input on the room in the rear tack when collapsed. Sounds like I might be able to keep a plastic pitchfork and certainly a small broom in there.

I have a ramp with top doors that open. I didn't think they'd even try to put a rear tack in a slant load that didn't have the 1/3 and 2/3 doors and a step up (or a ramp behind the doors). If I were to use it as a rear tack, I'd have to keep one of my top doors closed and when it's hot in the summer, I like to leave both upper doors open.

Mary in Western NY

My trailer is a 3h slant with rear tack. took about 5 mins to move the saddle rack into the front tack. Yep, it came with it set up to be able to do that. Another 30 seconds to fold back the rear tack. As I used it more and more to haul mares with a foal at side, took the extra other minute to just take the folded up wall out. Another 2 mins to unscrew the bridle rack from the backdoor too. it now sits in my garage and is likely to only ever come out of there if I sell the trailer at some point.

One thing I did like about trailer having the rear tack was that it made the trailer come with tandem doors instead of just a single door, or single ramp with half doors to close the top. It's so helpful to be able to close up one side after loading mom and foal and squeeze out of the other door without junior being able to get out. I do have a ramp on it as well since I prefer a ramp for the little ones.

another vote for : 'the grungy stuff'
    Love my rear tack area for that! Now, mine also can collapse, but I have never had the need /want to. the saddle rack has option of being in the rear tack area or pops out into the corner of the dressing room area (which is where I have it)

My 2H GN slant (Gore)is designed with that rear area being narrow enough it doesn't 'lessen' the openess for me. I've seen some that seem to make the loading opening almost 'half' the back end...mine, not so much. More like 3/4s.

Yup...have the ramp and am just one who will always want one on a trailer.

one thing: IF you ever camp/overnight in your trailer's front dressing room area, I can say I really like my saddles being locked up there with 'me'...as well as, once, using a friend's trailer, the Hay was up there in the carpeted living area with us! Yuk. Hay everywhere. With the portion in the rear its so nice to keep/store the bales there so none of it is in the dressing room area.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I would never get a trailer with a rear tack. There are too many potential problems, and IMHO, avoiding potential problems with horses is step #1 to not HAVING problems.

My last slant trailer that I custom ordered had an extra large dressing room up front and no rear tack. When I get another trailer, it will have LQ and mid tack, no rear tack.

I have a collapsible rear tack that I've only collapsed to haul a Friesian mare and foal in the open space. I also have the two doors on the back. I have western saddles, so using the front dressing room to store saddles makes getting a western saddle out that RV sized door tricky.

I leave the saddles in the rear tack (of course the racks are high, so no fun lugging a western saddle up onto that, either LOL) and leave bridles, etc...there. My horses haven't had an issue with it so far.

I DO wonder how you all who fold yours back, how you load your horse then keep him in whilst you close the doors? Mine has a butt bar that latches into the side of the tack room (I have a steel trailer, very strong connection there). If it were folded back, I'd have no way other than to quickly slam the doors to keep a horse from backing out if he felt like it...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

My 2H GN LQ is 7' wide with the rear tack and I've never had any issues with it not being wide enough. My horse is not huge, though - 15 hands and about 1050 lbs. He loads and backs out of the trailer without me having to go in with him which is much safer. I've also trailered at least 20 other horses in their trailer without issue. The trailer does have the exit door on the first door, so I could off load to the front if needed, but I haven't needed to.

I think those that state they would never have this arrangement, then don't buy it. But there are tons of slant load trailers with rear tacks that are happily being used for camping by thousands of people. The DR or LQ area is for sleeping, clothes, cooking, food, etc and no way I'd want my saddle, bridle, etc up there.

It really depends on what you use your trailer for and how much you use it.

I've got a 3H slant load bumper pull with a rear tack and I use it all the time. My saddle rack is back there and I've usually got two saddles on it, plus I normally keep the muck bucket and fork & shovel back there (they hang off the bridle racks, plus the buckets, hose, braiding ladder, an extra stuffed hay net for on the road, etc. Generally anything that is dirty or wet that I don't want in my carpeted dressing room goes there. If I want to fold it down I just have to take out my stuff, pull three pins out to remove the saddle rack (although that's a PITA to do by yourself - it's HEAVY!). Then you just have to pull two little pins from the top & bottom of the divider and it folds flat against the wall. I don't have a center divider so it just turns into a big box stall. Never had any problems with it.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

The reason I want the 8' wide is that I use my trailer all the time, for camping and for showing. I would loooooove the extra width. That width would also give me storage under the mangers for hoses, the Trailer-Aid, GN lock, battery cables, etc etc etc, Horse camping brings a ton of stuff along that day showing or day riding does not. I would miss having fenders to set my cold beer on, but I'd find a way to manage.

Never had a problem with the rear tack making horses not load, the opening left is as wide as a straight load anyway. Anyone who needs to turn around and come out head first gets the first or second stall. Anyone good at backing or the smallest horse gets the third stall.

The only issue I had was my mare had only ever ridden in straight loads and it took her FOREVER to teach her to angle herself. She'd load in straight with her head stuffed over the divider and stand there while I huffed and puffed and shoved her into an angle.

Default Rear Tack

Interesting points you have all made.

As to using the rear tack for hay and muck buckets and dirty stuff...I have D rings on the rear wall of the trailer and can tie my hay there behind the last horse or I put the hay in the bed of the truck. I usually put all the extra stuff (muck bucket, etc) in the bed of the truck since I have a cover on it (I have a BP).

I have English saddles and they are OK in the DR and I like the fact that I can lock them up in there. My DR is small but I have 2 director chairs, water container, short step ladder, spare tire, tack trunk, clothes hanging up and even a cabinet on the wall with cooking stuff. Since I can get all that plus my cot to sleep on and some other stuff in the DR of my slant, I don't feel a need for a rear tack.

As Heart's Journey said: It all depends on how you use your trailer.

Mary in Western NY

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post

I DO wonder how you all who fold yours back, how you load your horse then keep him in whilst you close the doors? Mine has a butt bar that latches into the side of the tack room (I have a steel trailer, very strong connection there). If it were folded back, I'd have no way other than to quickly slam the doors to keep a horse from backing out if he felt like it...
    As to loading with no rear tack or rear door, I've not had a problem. I put the first horse on and close her in and the second horse practically loads himself and just stands there while I put up the ramp. I always have the drop down windows open and hay in front so they just stick their heads out and munch. I did need a second person when loading a mare and foal, just so the second person could put up the ramp while I escaped out the front escape door.

When I bought my trailer, it had a second divider so I could "latch" the second horse in but because I use the trailer as a box stall at shows, it was a pain to have those 2 dividers in there. I took the second one out which also gives the last (second) horse more room. I (thankfully) have never had a horse try to push against the ramp but that could be a problem with some horses.

Mary in Western NY

I don't know why there aren't more, but my parents have a 3H slant with a Side tack, seperate from the dressing room. They chose it specifically because they didn't want a rear tack, they have a horse that WILL NOT LOAD into that narrow area. So the side tack option is great. You have a spot for all the grungey stuff so the dressing room can be used for dressing or sleeping without smelling horse sweaty tack.

Like I said, I don't know why this isn't a more common model, because we've been really happy with the design.
    "The best hearts are ever the bravest"

I love and hate my rear tack. 1st, it's a must...so I've learned to love it.
    I have a 4 horse with LQ but it's a tidy/tight size so that I can get around town easily.
    The rear tack takes up 1/2 the back end. It's only a 7' wide trailer.

We have never had issues loading a horse in that back spot. It takes just a few trips to teach the "chosen" horse to use the rear spot. We train one specifically for it.

I love having my tack back there. A mid tack would make the trailer too big for me.

The only thing I don't like is that the opening is small and for instance, at this point in time, I cannot get my broodmare in there. I would not want to try. But for these cases we have a stock trailer. ; )

My gray horse would walk wide with his hind legs when loading and once or twice played ping pong with his hips on the door opening.--but he was kind of a tard.

With an 8' wide tailer a rear tack will not restrict at all.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I have a 4 horse Exiss with a huge front tack room and a rear tack room. I have never moved the saddle rack from the rear compartment but it looks fairly simple. I have a bad back and have a very heavy reining saddle. The rear tack makes it so much easier for me to get my saddle out. I have never experience any trouble with horses not wanting to load because of the rear tack making it look narrow.

If I ever bought another trailer I would always buy one with a rear tack
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I had a 2 horse slant with rear tack and loved it for quite a while until I got an Off track STB who was not a fan. He felt claustrophobic and it actually encouraged him to rush on and off. I actually got to where I had to collapse the rear tack to load and unload him.

So, I hear those of you that haven't had any problems and like it, but there are also horses who don't do well with that narrow entrance/exit.

I sold my trailer and bought one that was stock in the back. My horses are "all" now very happy with the trailer. When I get my dream trailer it will have mid-tack.
    Patricia
    www.racknaboutstable.net

My rear tack area is very versatile! I have a 4 horse Eby and added a rear ramp. I moved the saddle rack to the dressing room. The rear tack area is collapsible and folds back easily and attaches to the ceiling. I use the rear area for hay, buckets, muck bucket, pitchforks, feed, etc. I do fold it back to make it flush with the wall at times for problem loaders. When my horses made the switch from a straight load 2 horse trailer, it was easier at first to teach them to load with the partition folded back. Now it is not a problem. I have even transported two small ponies (who got along!) in the fourth stall for a short distance!