The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendation for Custom Boots

All tall boot gurus, I am a hunter rider looking at buying a new pair of custom. I have a pair of custom Koehnigs that I was practically born in, but sadly, they will not be joining me at the shows this summer. Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts between Vogel, Der Dau, and Dehner. What do you like or dislike about these? Any scary (or heartwarming) stories to report that would make me consider one over the other? They are all different versions of the same thing, but I would still like to hear your thoughts as I get ready to make this important purchase. For those that are particularly detail oriented and need all the info, I show in the adults and will be buying field boots. Thanks for your help!!

I have a pair of Vogel's that I really love. Unfortunately, they have been at Vogel's more than they have been on my feet. I will say that for each of the repairs/changes that have had to be made, they have been wonderful. Always timely and have taken care of what has been needed.

If I get to the point where I wear these out, I might try Der Dau - their new dream boots look wonderful.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I love my old Dehners but Der Dau does some beautiful work too, do a search for Lucassb's Der Dau's with the aligator trim at the top, very subtle but elegant. I hear so many stories about Vogel's not fitting properly, I think I would avoid them.

Having the boots fitted by someone who is an expert is essential in getting a well fitted boot though.

I just got the DerDau Dream Boots with the alligator toe cap and alligator trim at the top...and I love them. A friend of mine just got the same boots with python trim at the top...also very nice looking. I'm still breaking mine in, but so far they are great...and the squishy footbed is nice

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm happy with the Der Daus I got last year. My previous pair was Vogel, and they have been excellent, but I know people who've had unhappy experiences with Vogel in recent years.

How does someone go about finding a boot-fitting expert?

I recommend contacting Parlanti. The day you get your boots you can show in them, they are so soft. I believe you can find them on the web by searching Parlanti USA.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I would NOT get Vogels. I have a pair that has worn out much more quickly than it should have (and I take good care of my boots). They also did not fit and had to be sent back at least once. The leather quality is just not what it used to be. I would save your time and money and look into Parlantis or Tuccis.

My Dehners were made in 1979, and they are still going strong and still beautiful.

I have custom Der Daus and I love them to death.

I also recommend not getting vogels! They need lots of repairs! tuccis are amazing and last a while!

Haha, I have had almost all of the boots you mentioned! I have a pair of custom Vogels, are really comfortable to ride in, but the toe box was too small so they are really uncomfortable to walk around in. I was sick of having to keep sending them back to remake the foot, so I just kept them after the 3rd try, but I can only wear them for brief periods of time because the foot is too small. The left ankle has huge holes, but it is because my instep is so giant (they are pull-ons, not zips, so my heel I think kind of forced a hole into the leather). I also have a pair of Koehnigs, which were my favorites at one point, but they are too short (not custom), so I don't wear them too often. Recently, I got a pair of Der Daus (to replace the Vogels) which I really like!! They were custom made for somebody else (I found them at a vendor at Thermal), but they fit me really well and I like them a lot. They were brand new boots and the first time I wore them was all day at a horse show. So, I think I'd suggest Der Daus.

Question, though: Why not just wear your Koehnigs to show?
    Last edited by lauraware; Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: add more info

I have been riding in Dehners for almost 40 years, and I have boots that are still good and over 20 years old. They will make them to your specs, they will last and you can always send them to them for any repairs etc you need.

If you are in Omaha for any reason go to their location. Last time I did that they let me go to the workshop and feel all the skins, see all the options for soles and heels, plus I saw several Olympic riders boots in there for repairs! It was a very cool experience!

I recommend Sergio Grasso's! I know people who love their Vogels, and people who aren't a fan. I have had Sergio's for probably 6 years and will probably never ride in anything else. I absolutely LOVE them!