The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Proper Attire Not Required?" What to wear?

This is probably a silly question, but our barn is taking a few horses and kids to a "fuzzy fun" schooling show this weekend, and the prize list specifies "proper attire not required." So, what to wear? For the English classes, I know I can wear the turtleneck and vest I usually wear at dressage schooling shows with my usual tan show breeches and tall boots (though I'll probably wear my jacket anyway; old habits die hard), but I'm a bit stumped for the Western, and especially showmanship. Isn't proper attire part of the judging for that class? But it's not going to be especially warm, so what's ok to wear on top? Does it even matter as long as I wear clothes? The turtleneck and fleece vest somehow don't seem "Western" enough, but I've never been told I don't need to dress properly before...

Button down shirt and a blazer type coat? Jeans, boots.

jeans, long sleeve button down shirt and boots

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Button down shirt and a blazer type coat? Jeans, boots.
    When I show in western classes at little schooling shows I generally wear a nice pair of boots, clean well-fitted jeans, and a button down shirt. If it's really cold then a nice jacket goes over it. I just was showing a WP horse in a schooling show wearing jeans, a Mountain Horse jacket and my Troxel schooling helmet and did fine (it was her first show, we were only there for experience so I didn't bother to dress up, just looked neat).

Really, IME most shows that say that do really mean it, so anything that's basically neat, clean and safe should work. I've even shown in western classes wearing English attire before and won anyway, though I don't recommend that if you can avoid it--I just didn't have time to change!

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    Really, IME most shows that say that do really mean it, so anything that's basically neat, clean and safe should work. I've even shown in western classes wearing English attire before and won anyway, though I don't recommend that if you can avoid it--I just didn't have time to change!
    I agree. Just wear clean, safe, riding appropriate clothes.

CosMonster, you reminded me of a time when I was a teenager and a bunch of the girls and I at my farm showed our horses in barrel racing... right after our jumpers classes! Lol, brought a smile to my face
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post

CosMonster, you reminded me of a time when I was a teenager and a bunch of the girls and I at my farm showed our horses in barrel racing... right after our jumpers classes! Lol, brought a smile to my face
    We used to do that all the time!

The clean jeans and button down are fine; that's usually what I wear for Western stuff at little local shows (Actually, I take the collar off my ratcatcher and turn the edges down lol), but I wasn't sure if a sweater or vest would be okay, especially for showmanship. I never wear a hat because I always wear a helmet except for the in-hand classes.

Like I said, I probably worry about it too much, but the idea that good turnout shows respect for horse and judge is so ingrained in my mind. This show is actually mainly for our kids to get their feet wet and is great for that because they don't have to go out and buy show clothes.

If it's going to be cold a flannel shirt with jeans could work. I know most of my button downs are paper thin so I'd want something warmer.

With schooling shows I think as long as you are clean you are good to go. I usually wear a button down with a sweater for english classes and it always looks good. I also just do minimal clipping on the horse just to make it look like you tried to clean the horse up. Body clipping is not needed.

Yeah, we won't be body clipping. Mr. Henry will be shown in all his hairy glory (he did get a bath today, at least). I just wasn't sure what to wear on top for the Western stuff. The only reason I do it in the first place is my barn is there all day and Henry does bad things when he gets bored. Lope? What's that?

I wouldn't even bother changing your top, just put on jeans and some sort of boots. Trust me, for these types of shows that don't require proper attire, it really doesn't matter at all. Whatever you're comfortable in, requires the least effort, and is safe for riding, is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post

We used to show in trail classes after showing saddle seat! (Ground tying was a problem for my otherwise saint of a Morgan!)

remember showmanship is supposed to be about your ability to show off *the horse* to its best, not a fashion contest or modeling show.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    ...I wasn't sure if a sweater or vest would be okay, especially for showmanship.
    I wouldn't go with a baggy sweater or anything, but a nicer sweater or vest would be just fine. I definitely agree that proper turnout shows respect for the judge, but I think just about anything clean and workmanlike is good for these types of shows.