The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Hernia Belly Band

A friend of mine's older horse (22) recently had major colic surgery.
    His stomach and incision have healed, but ultrasound showed earlier this week that he has some major hernias along the incision and that her plans to bring him back with some light riding/hacking would have to be put aside.

The vet recommended a special Belly Band to help put everything back into place? She mentioned this one:
    http://www.cmequineproducts.com/id23.html

Have any of you had any experiences with this product? The website seems a little sketchy, but the vet said she knows other people who have used it with success.

Thoughts??

They are bulky and cumbersome and hard to get tight enough. They also slip back frequently, even with the use of a breast collar (which is normally not included).

I prefer these: http://wire2wirevetproducts.com/shop...iewCat&catId=6
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Thanks!

That seems to be more geared towards the time directly after surgery? He is about 2 months post-op, and everything is healed - i.e the incision healed with these hernias poking out.
    Will that system still work for his case?

I've seen it used for post-op patients for an extended period of time after Sx. The Boa people are normally really good to work with - I'd give them a call. Warning - they are not cheap.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I've used one similar to the first posted one back when my mare had colic surgery -- but this was pretty soon after the surgery when she got an infection in the incision and the belly band was to prevent the formation of hernias. She did end up with a smallish hernia that never gave her trouble -- went back to work, etc., but had it been larger, would have needed surgical correction. The vet clinic had a belly band that they let me use so I didn't need to buy it, and it was a bear to put on correctly -- took two people to get it tight.

It would be worth a try, however, to see if you can reduce the hernias with the belly band. I bought a gelding that had an umbilical hernia (quite small) when I got him at 2 years old and read something about if you reduced it daily (pushed it back up in), it might eventually heal and be normal...I figured it was a bunch of hooey, but worth trying anyway since he was cooperative about it. Lo and behold, it worked! So, if the belly band helps to avoid further surgery, I'm all for trying it out.