The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lambskin vs. Deerskin in fullseat breeches?

Tropical Rider is now offering lambskin fullseats as well as their deerskin fullseats. Has anyone been wearing a pair of the lambskins? How do they compare as far as comfort in the saddle, care, etc?

Northern Virginia

I recently ordered two pairs of the Inventory Clearance breeches from Tropical Rider - one with deerskin and one with lambskin. Both are extended patch - not full seat (would have preferred full seat, but these were clearance at a price too good to refuse). They should arrive this week. I've only had deerskin too, so I'm curious about the lambskin.

I know this is an old post.. but I am wondering.. I am also considering the lambskin vs deerskin and was interested in if anyone had any thoughts on the differences.

I don't know. I can tell you I bought a pair of lambskin and gained weight before I could wear them. They ARE beautiful and soft but I don't know how they wear.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Spokane, WA

I have several pairs of both deerskin and lambskin full seat breeches from TR and I like them both. I think the deerskin might hold up to wear/tear a little better, but the lambskin is softer and a little more comfortable to wear. I have worn both types very regularly for at least 2 years and both kinds are still in excellent shape.

Northern California

Just bough clearance full seat lamb skin elite breech (half off was too good a deal to pass) because my dh just machine washed and machine dried (with fabric softener) my only other actual leather full seats...... Grrrrrr

in my personal experience, deerskin lasts longer and is more comfortable.