The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default bruised ribs?

How long should symptoms last? Any medical people here? Discomfort/ pain when pressure is applied to rib cage under right breast. At first it was right under the breast, but now the discomfort is lower in my rib cage. Breathing is fine. The worry is that it's been going on for a few months. Don't recall an injury but I did break my ribs 5 yrs ago or so. I do have young horses also, so I may have been pushed or something and just not thought about it much. And I am getting old. (58 this week) Advice? I'm guessing I need to see the doc but would be interested to hear if anyone has had similar symptoms. TIA

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I did break a rib last month when I slipped exiting the feed room. I hit the step hard when my feet flew out from under me. I knew right away what I had done. I had broken 2 ribs about 18 months ago coming off a horse.

Generally rib breakage, particularly for women of a certain age (I am the same age as the OP) is caused by trauma. I've heard of people sneezing or coughing so hard that a rib breaks. That being said, I think it is less typical. The cause is usually trauma and one probably should have a very good idea when it happened. I realize that bruising is different, but again, it's most likely caused by trauma and would be memorable.

My experience with rib fractures is that the first week hurts, particularly if you laugh, sneeze or cough, but things improve and it's done by 6 weeks. The fact that the OP has said it has been going on for a few months and is moving around, suggest to me that it is something else, not ribs.

I would go see a doctor and find out what it is. I wouldn't fool around waiting.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com