The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting down to the Nitty Gritty...

So as a first time breeder, I have my short list of stallions picked out...(which I wonder...its not so short, lol!) anyway, I am burning up the midnite hours and melting down my PC to get any little tidbit of info on these stallions...some of which I can't even find a conformation pic of. Frustrating or what?!!And I think to myself, what the heck am I doing, trying to choose a stallion based on what little information I can glean off of the internet. What I really should be doing is taking a tour and actually visiting the stallions in person. Mind you that is a costly kind of thing...however, buying and transporting semen can get pretty costly if it turns out to be a "lemon" in the end. So rmy reasoning, (although not sure if my husband would see it that way, exactly) if I killed two birds with one stone and visited Germany for my holiday instead of Mexico...you can see where I am going with that?!!
    So my question, and I apologise for the long run on sentences, but can a person fly over to Europe and "hire" a person to take you on a tour and visit stallions? Is there any kind of service available that does this? Especially a service that can translate for you...
    Is there anyone familiar with this? Anybody have any European contacts? Any German speaking horse people out there just wishing such an opportunity would fall into their laps??
    I'm all ears!!

It really isn't that difficult to travel around Germany and see the various breeding areas. The State Studs do have their own headquarters - Westfalen, Oldenburg, Hanoverian, Holsteiner and you can arrange to visit those centers and see the stallions at those State Studs. They can also recommend large farms to visit to see breeding businesses. I know an American over there that could probably help you if you are interested. Just PM me and I'll see if she's still doing tours.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

jealous!!!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    It really isn't that difficult to travel around Germany and see the various breeding areas. The State Studs do have their own headquarters - Westfalen, Oldenburg, Hanoverian, Holsteiner and you can arrange to visit those centers and see the stallions at those State Studs. They can also recommend large farms to visit to see breeding businesses. I know an American over there that could probably help you if you are interested. Just PM me and I'll see if she's still doing tours.
    Is there a language barrier at all? do the state studs have english speaking personnel?