The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yet another "puppy choice" thread...

I know there have been many of these in the past, but in my excitement I am making one anyway.

So a couple friends and I will be getting a house for next year, pets allowed One friend is bringing her beagle puppy. I will also be bringing a dog/puppy but am trying to figure out what kind. My dog/puppy search will begin in a few months and until then I am trying to do some research on the right dog. Previously we have always just let our heart lead us at the shelter, but for my living situation I really need to find a dog that will fit in well, not one that we can make work. Example- I love, love, love hounds. But a hound would not be a good choice for this situation. Trust me, I'd love to bring my plott hound down here instead of leaving her with my parents.

The ideal dog would be one with good trainability/reliability, one without a huge "go" drive, and one that is mid size (25-60lbs ish). Preferably short hair and dogs that don't have a tendency to be yappy. Absolutely no golden retreivers, labs, border collies, or aussies.

I'm not set on a puppy and am not looking to purchase from a breeder. I know of several rescues/shelters that I will be searching and obviously I could find a Heinz 57 mutt and fall in love with him, and that would be perfectly OK. But I am also considering a puppy because I like the idea of being able to train from scratch instead of not knowing what/how a dog has been trained. Plus we all know it is fun to talk about our "dream dog"... so I am looking for ideas.

My number one choice at this point is probably a pit puppy- they are a dime a dozen in the shelters and on craigslist.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Um, I would be somewhat worried about a rescue pittie when you're coming into a situation with a puppy. I'd want one from known non-fighting lines (there are UKC breeders, NOT CKC--I met a top male pit in MA and what a gorgeous dog, though he was the perfect size for counter-surfing the treat bar at Petco--massive red dog, with amazing muscle) that had been well-socialized with other dogs and people.

Really, if you've got one person bringing a beagle puppy you may already have more dog than y'all want to deal with.

If you're renting a lot of landlords will restrict pits. As will your renters insurance coverage. My favorite breed is a collie, but it sounds like a collie would be on the large size (between 45 to 80 lbs.)

Maybe a corgi?

What about a boxer? Maybe not a puppy-that's some serious energy! I got mine from a boxer rescue when she was a year and a half and, though she's a tad "broken" (doesn't play with toys, looks at you like you're nuts if you try to play with her) she is more couch potato than playful. DH (before he was DH) got a male who was around 2 and he's the same way-he does like to play and need some quality toy time, but he's perfectly content to roll the ball for himself or toss his toy and chase it. He, too, enjoys couches a majority of the time.

I'm not sure we have the "norm" for boxers, but they might be worth a look. Especially if you go through a rescue and you can be clear about the personality type and age you're looking for.

To have a boxer you would probably need a really good fence. Of course, we've discovered that beagles require a really good fence also. But, I imagine we are talking leash walks anyway? Talk to the landlord first, because there may be size or breed restrictions in their insurance, and there might be restrictions of size, etc in renter's insurance or the lease also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    To have a boxer you would probably need a really good fence. Of course, we've discovered that beagles require a really good fence also. But, I imagine we are talking leash walks anyway? Talk to the landlord first, because there may be size or breed restrictions in their insurance, and there might be restrictions of size, etc in renter's insurance or the lease also.
    We've already talked to them and there are no size or breed restrictions from the land lord but I will have to check with insurance. To the person who said the beagle may be enough dog for us- I'm used to having 4 big active dogs, so I am used to it. But yes, they will be going on several leash walks each day and possibly running/hiking several times a week with me (depending on the dog). We also have a dog park near by and plan to take frequent trips there as well.

Call me crazy, but I really don't like the typical dogs most people like lol. I don't tend to gravitate towards labs, goldens, BC's, aussies, etc. Not a huge fan of collies- their personality just doesn't mesh with me.

I have had a few rescue pits and haven't had a problem but on that note, we always make sure to get them from a good well run rescue. As sad as it sounds, I probably would not go to just any city pound and adopt a pit from them. But with a rescue I have worked with for several years and trust, I would consider a pit from them depending on what history they have on the dog. I do agree that a pit puppy from some place like craigslist may not be the best idea, so should I decide to go the route of a pit pup, I may consider looking into good breeders.

I LOVE Boxers, but yes, they are a ton of energy. If I went that route I would probably try to go with an older dog. I do have a soft spot for the seniors

Doxies were another breed I was looking into but they have been hit or miss for me. I found some to be super yappy and obnoxious, and some who were absolutely wonderful.

I would love to bring my hound dog down, but she is a runner and I would be terrified that someone would hold the door open too long and she would get out, so it's best for her to stay with my parents. We also have a shep/bernese mountain dog at home who I got from a neglect situation this summer and was planning to bring to school, but he has become my dad's dog and my dad has already said that I would have to pry him from his hands, so he will stay there too.

Being realistic, in all reality what will happen is I will check out various rescues and see which ones tug at my heartstrings. But I am still leaving the option open for a pit pup (but I will talk to the renters ins company, thanks for bringing that up)... I love love love pits.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

But your next landlord might have restrictions. And what would you do then? If going to shelter, etc. I'd go with a generic mix, not something that the landlord could label any of those breeds they refuse to allow. (future landlords)

When the time comes and you know what, if any, restrictions there will be, why don't you contact Danny and Ron's Rescue? They usually have a wide variety of sizes and personalities.

def check out the insurance policy. My insurance policy will Not Allow me to renew a policy if I have a GSD, Dobe, Rottie, Pitt and any other of the known "guard dog" breeds. Period. They will flat out refuse to insure me. I have SafeCO is a Liberty Mutual COmpany. I don't recommend them.

I have a standard schnauzer, 33 lbs and low shedding, perfect energy level can go all day or sleep on the sofa for days on end when the weather is inclement. But it is a barky breed. Not good if you have neighbors close in, or in an apt or condo setting.

Another beagle? A puggle? If you're familiar w/hounds, you know you'll need to do serious housebreaking and recall training, but they're kinda small, get along great w/ all other dogs, short haired, and there are tons around for rescue-you might find a youngster.

I'd stay away from pits in this situation. Three people plus at least 2 dogs = lots of houseguests (the good kind), and mayhem. If its only for a year, you need to think ahead. As Danceronice said, many landlords don't allow pits. JMO. If you do go the pit route, get a puppy -if possible, meet Mama.

What about Logical's mama dog??? The "What a tale" thread. We already know she's a sweetie!

I was thinking a Pug? I love their personalities.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    But your next landlord might have restrictions. And what would you do then? If going to shelter, etc. I'd go with a generic mix, not something that the landlord could label any of those breeds they refuse to allow. (future landlords)
    I think this is an important thing to consider. While the current landlord might be okay with any breed of dog, you might have issues in the future. Most landlords seem to have restrictions of some sort. I would really love to have a German Shepard, but I that's going to have to wait until I'm a homeowner. But, the shelters around here always seem to have dogs that are a mix (lots of them appear to have some pit in them) and you could make the case that it's just a mix and you don't know what breed it is.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I would really consider where you are going to live down the road. I would look for dogs on the smaller side, what if you end up moving into an apartment down the road? A lot of apartments have size restrictions as well as breed restrictions.

I recently moved into a house and got a puppy. I went with a Shih-Tzu because it's a small companion breed that would be just as happy living in a small studio apartment if it came down to it. I also made sure that my parents would back me and up and take the dog if for some reason I wasn't able to care for it down the road, though it would take a lot for me to give up my puppy! But anyways, I'm pretty sure my parents drive down to visit my puppy not me.

Not saying a shih-tzu is a good breed for you, but be sure to look down the road.
    -Lindsey

What about a greyhound? Doesn't really fit the criteria but they are great loving dogs and many need homes!

Or a standard poodle. They're high energy but very trainable. I'm on the search for a poodle right now.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Make sure you are going to be set for a while in this house...trying to find a house with a dog is REALLY REALLY HARD. Especially if you have a dog people are going to be wary of just because of breed.

And, being on edge about the dog breaking/mauling something is no fun. I currently have an awesome landlord, and live in an illegal (cheap) apartment, so I don't have to worry about Stella scratching all 6sq. feet of the linoleum in the kitchen, lol.

Good luck! I hope you find something perfect, and don't be too set on one "type". A dog that needs you will find you. :-)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

You all have made a very good point about thinking about future landlords. I honestly had not thought about that, but it is def. something to take into consideration. As much as I would love a pit, I don't know that it's practical given the fact that I know I will be moving out of the house after a year. *Sigh*.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of beagles either, but I can tolerate them. Not a dog I would choose for myself but it's one I can live with should another roommate still decide to bring hers.

I think the smallest I would consider going is 20-25 lbs. I really would prefer a midsize dog, although there have been a few smaller breed dogs I have met and liked so it would really just depend on the particular dog and how I feel about it when I meet them if I were looking in a shelter.

Greyhounds are great dogs and I do love them (I have a greyhound/doberman mix) but I know from looking at adopting a greyhound in the past, there are all sorts of stipulations/requirements that the greyhound rescue we talked to had and I don't think my situation would meet them, but it is something I could look into.

I wonder, if I were to get a hound as a pup how easily I could train it to have some sort of recal or at least "if the door is held open you do NOT exit". I would not expect a hound to have good reliability off leash, but I would at least want to have the confidence that it isn't going to slip through the door if given a fraction of a chance. As I said, my plott hound is not a good fit for this living situation, but I do love hounds and we often get hound puppies / young adults in at the rescue. I would consider going that route if I thought I could train them to respond well.

Can you tell I am excited? Like I said, it's great to dream about the perfect dog but I am sure I will end up browsing the shelters and falling in love with several.

Just having moved cross-country (Baltimore-Seattle) with my pit bull, I can say with conviction, DO NOT get a pit or pit mix unless you are positive you will be able to make arrangements for this dog if your living situation somehow changes suddenly (which happens more often than people like to imagine with roommates). I also wouldn't suggest leaving your pit bull alone with any other dogs in the house unless someone is monitoring them closely. Dog aggression is something pit bull owners need to be extra conscious of, and truly has nothing to do with "how you raise them".

That being said, pit mixes are wonderful dogs that, in the right situation, can be unparalleled companions. My dear girl truly keeps me sane, and I'm lucky I wandered into the shelter that day- my life is better because of her.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Love my Boston Terriers! But vote for you going and scouring shelters until you find one you bond with.

As for the pix /pit mix. Great dogs and I disagree with the above TOTALLY has to do with how they are raised in addition to their own personalities. Which is why you'd want to take the time to spend lots of time with any dog your considering.

Some of the best dogs I know are pits and pix crosses and like you said sadly the are a dime a dozen in shelters.

They however can be a consideration when getting insurance/renting.

I have a GSD in addition to my little dogs and had to produce his good citizen paper work both when I rented and when I got insurance.

I know that through a partnership with AKC, Hartford now is offering insurance to the previously thought to be "un insurable " if a few very simple guildlines are met. http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_hartford.cfm
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Springer spaniel! VERY trainable, likes to play but will lay on your feet all day too if that is what you want. 35-55lbs, go for field bred over bench bred for brains. Lots of ESS rescues around.

My Springer is the best dog I've ever had, and we get constant compliments from people on her behavior/tricks/personality.

http://www.maessr.org/dogs/index.php