The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it normal...

For a barn to require 60 days notice upon leaving? Everywhere I have been until now has only required 30 days notice. Just curious.

Common, no. However if that's what you signed for then that's what you need to do.

I am at a barn where the normal notice is 30 days. However, the BO does require 60 days notice if the owner has 2 or more horses. This way she has more time to advertise to fill the larger number of open stalls created if that one boarder leaves.

Other than that 30 days is normal for any place that I have been.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Normally, it's 30 days notice. However, my barn has no policy on notice. 60 seems a little excessive but if that's what you signed for, then that's what you should do. If you're just thinking about signing a contract that says that, though, then maybe ask the BO/BM why the notice is that long if you're really curious.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I've always been at 30 day places. However, just the other day I met someone who was leaving a 60 day notice place. So they do exist, but 30 days is definitely more common.

They can ask anything that they want -- it's up to you to sign on the dotted line saying that you will abide by it.

Been in one that was 60 days, that was some time ago so it's not new.

In their case, it was an active show barn on the road alot, sometimes for weeks at a time and they had some health requirements for new horses coming in. They just felt it worked better for them to take time filling the vacancy with a client who would fit in well and giving that new client a chance to bring the horse up to date healthwise if needed. They didn't want to get a 30 day notice call when they would not be home for 3 weeks and have a week to fill the vacancy.

I dunno about a straight boarding barn home all the time that wanted 60 days, that's a bit unusual.

But you agree to it when you sign so make sure you like the place and the people there. Their business, their rules.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.