The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Hunger Games- Question

A couple OTs back, I read rave reviews of the Hunger Games trilogy and decided to read all three books. LOVED the first one, LOVED the second one, ehhhh on the third....

But my question is, am I the only one who HATED the ending?? As in, I almost threw my iPad across the room! Hated it!

But I still plan to see the movie....
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I loved the first one, thought the second was ok, didn't enjoy the third one. The ending just made me think the author got tired of writing.

Still - can't wait to see the movie!!

Yeah, the ending wasn't my fave. Kind of wrapped up in a tidy bow and such.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I liked how it ended.

'Heroine' gets used, brain damaged, confused, decides it's her turn to decide who gets killed the little rebellion turns out to be ugly, and she gets to be lucky and grateful she gets home alive, relatively intact (for a PTSD war veteran) and that her 'country' is still somewhat functional.

She started out as a Pricess-y Leia type and, then well, the real world seemed to show up.

Maybe folks think she should have died, not gotten 'the guy' or dove into the bottle when she got home?

im on 54% Ch. 16 of the 1st Hunger Games books on my kindle and so far I looove it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany01 View Post
    im on 54% Ch. 16 of the 1st Hunger Games books on my kindle and so far I looove it!!!
    Oh man, clear your schedule! I read them all back to back and was completely dead to the world until I finished the last one.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    Oh man, clear your schedule! I read them all back to back and was completely dead to the world until I finished the last one.
    hahaha!!!! How many Chapters are there anyway??

I don't know...I felt the ending was decent. I'm not sure how else I would have ended it. It was kind of a happy ending, but not really.

Those books were consuming for sure though. First time through I read them in a weekend. Second time through...maybe two weeks? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I liked how it ended.

'Heroine' gets used, brain damaged, confused, decides it's her turn to decide who gets killed the little rebellion turns out to be ugly, and she gets to be lucky and grateful she gets home alive, relatively intact (for a PTSD war veteran) and that her 'country' is still somewhat functional.

She started out as a Pricess-y Leia type and, then well, the real world seemed to show up.

Maybe folks think she should have died, not gotten 'the guy' or dove into the bottle when she got home?
    My thoughts too. I liked the third book at least as much as the first, and the second one was my "eh".
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I don't think the end of the third book is "tidy bow" at all! In fact, it's a lot messier than that simply because it was so real. She had to come back to reality...to life back in her home district with a guy who wasn't completely healed. She had to say goodbye to everything that was old and comfortable and try to forge out a new life on the other side of the games...and the deaths of many people she loved. Hardly "tidy bow."

All three books create a very nice arc to the story...and out of all the possible endings, I think Collins chose the most realistic one, albeit not an "easy" one.

I didn't like the ending either. Kinda depressed me for a while.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default Spoiler Alert!

I really liked the first one and the other two were a little "meh". I was very sad when Prim was killed and she made the right choice when she killed Coin. However, I would have thought she'd end up with Gale not the other guy whose name I can't think of right now. I am looking forward to the movie though.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

If she had ended up with Gale, THAT would have been a "tidy bow" kind of ending. But, she ended up with Peeta...with horrible damage to his memory/brain that he and she had to learn to deal with. Prim's death is the one part of the book that I wanted to rebel against...it was so unfair....BUT, given the culture in which they lived (and the violence that was considered the "norm" by the government), it was realistic.

I can't wait for the movie!

Yea, Prim's death is the part I really hated. Didn't care too much for violence, but I guess it was part of the story....
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I agree with everyone who said they loved the first and disliked the other two. She was so strong in the first and in the second two so annoyingly weak (comparatively). I guess PTSD and all that, but sure didn't seem like the same character.

It's been awhile since I first went through them, so I'm relistening now before the movies come out (have them all on audiobook and am only allowed to listen if I'm running- good motivation!). I agree that the first book was far and away my favorite, but I didn't dislike the way it ended. I will say I was always rooting for Gale over Peeta and didn't really like the way Gale's character went.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I enjoyed the books. But since they're Orwellian I didn't think they were going to end 'happy'. Happier than I expected, though, with lasting repercussions from the trauma they experienced, like real life. People choosing different career paths, etc. That I found satisfying. And I got all emotional when the cat returned, having made its own way home from District 13. It was a perfect catalyst for Katniss, and the reader, to release the grief over Prim's death.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

I really enjoyed the first, liked the 2nd, and did not like the third. Not a fan of the ending either. Wish I had stopped at the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    If she had ended up with Gale, THAT would have been a "tidy bow" kind of ending. But, she ended up with Peeta...with horrible damage to his memory/brain that he and she had to learn to deal with. Prim's death is the one part of the book that I wanted to rebel against...it was so unfair....BUT, given the culture in which they lived (and the violence that was considered the "norm" by the government), it was realistic.

I can't wait for the movie!
    This. I loved all three books, and love that she didn't end up with "Handsome Strapping Gabe" but ended up with someone who, like her, is flawed and damaged by what they've been through, but who loves her anyways. Sometimes life sucks. You make the best of it, and remember the good bits...Besides, Gabe turned out to be a jerk! (I saw that coming though--he was always selfish in his way.) I just hope the movies are faithful adaptations!

Did anyone else when reading the books (in particular, the first) get a sense of Ender's Game? It is certainly darker, but both seem to share some themes (big one being loss of innocence, exploitation of children).

I got them on audio, and they saved me from suffering not one not two but three round trips GA to IN. I can't wait for the movies. And I am so stoked The Civil Wars have something to do with the theme song; still not sure how I feel about Taylor Swift leading those vocals...