The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dating topic #1000...since it is off topic day and Vday...

Is there any good dating sights for ladies interested in meeting guys in service/uniform??

I have a small** weakness for guys in uniform, be it cops, army, marine, doctors...heck I'd even take a Mountie!

But I never know where to meet these guys! I have been on a few sites and I can never seem to find anyone in these fields of work..........tons of electricians and musicians for some odd reason.....

Anywho, obviously it's not my only criteria, but it's just a deep down gut feeling that that is the "type" of guy for me.....hard to explain, maybe you all will understand

Suggestions??

**huge
    if you havent fallen off a horse….then you havent been ridin long enough

Sounds to me like you should create a website/business for it. Seriously!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Oh good lord, please dont date a cop.

Not that all are bad, but my experience dating one was DISASTEROUS and borderline abusive. Also, many of the other cops that he worked with cheated on their wives/gf's while on duty. (They call it "booty on duty"....no, im not kidding), and a few were even fired for beating their wives.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

As much as I love my marine...

I'll kindly suggest steering towards uniforms that don't require relocation or long term absences! I've been lucky in that we got together after his tour and he's home, permanently now, unless he goes back as an officer. It's not for the weak-willed, and while his PTSD issues aren't as bad as some, they are still very real.

(and will also very kindly suggest looking for the type of PERSON that fits you best, instead of looking specifically for a guy in a uniform and then hoping he meets the rest of your needs)
    Last edited by Heinz 57; Feb. 14, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post

Not that all are bad, but my experience dating one was DISASTEROUS and borderline abusive. Also, many of the other cops that he worked with cheated on their wives/gf's while on duty. (They call it "booty on duty"....no, im not kidding), and a few were even fired for beating their wives.
    Good point. I dated a cop for a while, until I found out he was engaged!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I'll third the 'stay away from cops'.

Firefighters, on the other hand, tend to be a ton of fun. You just have to find one who hasn't gotten spoiled by having women constantly throwing themselves at them. Easier said than done.

The downside? How does that joke go again?

"The neighbour asked little Joey what he wanted to be when he grew up. Little Joey said, 'a firefighter!'. The neighbour replied, "Sorry son, it's one or the other."

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Get a cat. It would be better for everyone involved.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Get a cat. It would be better for everyone involved.
    You win. Hands down.

(pssst, OP - Lex is a man, and last time we got an update, he was still single!)

muahaha.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post

You and MANY others share that experience.

It's pretty much a well known fact. Not all of course, but enough to have generated a stereotype from somewhere...

and another on the anti-cop bandwagon.........they all have control issues, hence, the job choice....married one of those, worst decision of my life........abuser, liar,stalker...and who DO you call for help when he IS one of them.......my next poor choice was the former military.rage and control issues with PTSD........just bang your head on the desk..easier to recover from

I have dated a cop, a federal agent, and every branch of the military. I would not seek out anyone in those fields for a stable longterm relationship.

It took me a little while, but I have figured out that the things that drew me to those men really do not matter in the long run. The great bodies, the risky jobs, the special perks, and a pretty good income (for the LEO) mean nothing if they are never really available to you. I now have an awesome guy who is pretty average in looks, has a "normal" job (financial analyst), but sweet, fun, has a great sense of humor, and is totally into me. It had been so long since I had a guy who was just as interested in getting to know me as he is into himself, I never want to go back

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesgrrl View Post
    Anywho, obviously it's not my only criteria, but it's just a deep down gut feeling that that is the "type" of guy for me.....hard to explain, maybe you all will understand

Suggestions??

**huge
    I so know what you mean. I always felt pulled to men in uniform. My DH is military and even though he is gone some I am happier with him then I ever was with my XH.

I meet him on POF. On line is the way most of the guys meet there other half.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Ugh, another person with a bad cop experience. Stalked me afterward, still tries to friend request me on Facebook (3 years later????), made me think I was crazy. I dated one or two others and while they weren't that extreme in their psychosis, they were not good relationship material either. I don't know if it's the pressure of the job or the personality traits that attract them to that line of work, and frankly, I don't care. Yes, I still think cops are often hot. No, I do not want to spend my life looking for the 1 in a million that isn't a douchebag.

Highly agree with AliCat, sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone to find true happiness, especially in relationships. Look for the guys who treat you right and love them like you love a horse who jumps from whatever spot you point him at.