The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting perspective on helmet-wearing...

Full disclosure: I wear a helmet every time I ride. I encourage people I know to wear helmets. I think children should have to wear helmets. I wish adults would wear them but understand why they shouldn't be forced to.

That being said, I really don't understand the mentality behind this:

http://www.equestrianlife.com/articl...nc=view&id=120

Does anyone really think this? Does anyone really do things that they shouldn't because they are wearing a helmet?

His analogies and examples seem completely irrelevant.

It creates the illusion that you can't get hurt since you wear a helmet.
    Is there any same person out there who thinks that you won't get hurt if you're wearing a helmet?

I think this argument is bonkers...

Meant to post in off course. I'll ask mods to move...

I am sure there are people who think like that, but I would guess they are few and far between.

I've never felt less likely to be injured because I was wearing a helmet; I've only felt less likely to suffer a major head injury. Sprains and broken bones are still not fun, even if you are able to maintain basic brain function.

The Parellis also are anti-helmet for the same reason. DUMB.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Ye gods and goddesses.

THIS is a perfect example of why nobody even halfway sane takes Equestrian Life even remotely seriously. The whole site is a joke - filled with misinformation, skewed logic, and bad riding/training practices. While not a COMPLETE waste of time, you have to plow through endless amounts of BS to get to what little good stuff there is. I don't even bother any more. There's so much cringeworthy stuff on that website that it's just not worth the effort.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

As the teenagers I know say.... that's totes ridic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    that's totes ridic.
    Agreed! If that is 'thinking like a horse" I think I will just continue to think like a grown@ss educated adult!
    Last edited by BetterOffRed; Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

The title doesn't even make sense. I'll take "Buy a Verb" for one thousand, Alex.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    If that is 'thinking like a horse" I think I will just continue to think like a grown@ss educated adult!
    ?

If anything, wearing a helmet reminds me that I *am* at risk of getting injured...hence why I strap a helmet onto my head.

We have a barn around these parts where this kind of thinking is part of their culture. They belittle others who wear helmets and regularly post pictures of themselves jumping/riding rearing horses without helmets on. I knew a girl who was obsessed with her GPA helmet until she moved to this barn. Now she rolls her eyes at people who wear helmets. (and no, I don't have anything against those who choose not to wear helmets. However, I DO have an issue with people who make fun of others for their choice to wear protective equipment!)
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Camstock View Post
    The title doesn't even make sense. I'll take "Buy a Verb" for one thousand, Alex.

Wow.
    this made me lol. so did the article. people are crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    ?
    Sorry Painted Hunter...it was not a diss on you! I agree it is totes Ridic!

This guys business is ThinkingLikeaHorse Horsemanship...if thinking like a horse means that I have superman syndrome when I put on a helmet, then I would prefer to think like an adult!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

OK, I wasn't sure if that was directed at my comment or not...forgive me, I have a cold and medicine head!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

A lot of people that wear helmets are scared and the horse knows.
    !!?!?!?!?
    This is the most unsubstantiated claim in the whole article...and how does he back it up? He references himself...

OMG, did anyone go to his site? There should be a warning because when you click on the "Bad Horsemanship" tab and scroll down there are the.most.graphic. pictures I have ever seen. It was probably one of the most disturbing things I have accidentally seen online...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

I stick by the adage if you think your hairstyle is more important than your head you are probably right.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    OMG, did anyone go to his site? There should be a warning because when you click on the "Bad Horsemanship" tab and scroll down there are the.most.graphic. pictures I have ever seen. It was probably one of the most disturbing things I have accidentally seen online...
    Yes, I unfortunately did as well.

here's some I picked up as a direct quote:
    It amazes me when people won’t ride a horse without a helmet, yet they will get on a horse that does not have good brakes, won’t steer, will spook and run, is nervous and insecure and then feel safe because they have a helmet on. "

I don't think people "feel" any safer when wearing a helmet than not. He's made some assumsitions that are incorrect.
    I don't feel "safer" wearing a helmet, I do feel "less safe" when I don't. I don't do stupid things because I have on a helmet!

However people do ride "spooky and reactive or brakeless" horses because they ARE expected to deal. When a rider says I want to sell my horse because he/she is over my skills, there are a lot of other riders who try to push KEEPING that unsuitable horse onto that rider. I know, because I was one. very few said you are doing the right thing.

We've touched on "that man" before

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=306650
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The only people that I have EVER seen argue that a helmet gives you a false sense of security are the PEOPLE THAT DO NOT WEAR HELMENTS! I have heard this from stached pepperoni and other “natural horsemenship” snake oil sales men.

From Pat Poopinstash:

The reason you do not see our people wearing helmets is because we try to teach people that rather than be brave because they are wearing a helmet to protect them, they would be better off not riding until their horse is behaving safely.

I ride with a helmet. I WOULD BE DEAD IF I DID NOT WEAR A HELMENT when my horse took a spill (YES, the HORSE FELL, I did not fall off - has NOTHING to do with experience or training). As a rebellious teen, with a BNT who didn’t always wear one… I used to ride on the flat without a helmet (even after having my life saved by one… three day coma didn’t teach me a lesson I guess). I never felt “safer” and more daring because I had a helmet on. I got older, and WISER and now wear one every ride. For me, its about my LOVED ONES. I NEVER want to burden them with a brain damaged or dead me that could have been prevented by a helmet. I don’t get on a horse for a moment without one…

I have never put on my helmet and thought “oh I will go for it!! Because there is no way to hurt my head!!!” Who thinks that?!?! No one really…. Anti helmet people say it, but no one that rides with a helmet.

Helmet or not, we all try to keep the horse between us and the ground. A helmet can help with a brain injury. Its not going to prevent a broken neck, broken back, or a long list of other MAJOR injuries that can happen.

This reminds me of the motorcyclist that attended a “no helmets rally” and promptly crashed his bike, bashing his head and dying…. Yep, no one made him wear a helmet, and he was free to kill himself as he choose.