The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Default Michigan People BIG HEADS UP! Bernie Traurig is coming to West Michigan!

The barn who has been doing all the at cost Clinics over the last 5 years has secured Bernie Traurig for the fist weekend in June . It will be limited to 6 in each session this time, with four sessions. I don't know all the details yet but when I get them I 'll post an update. This Barn always sells out it's clinics because of the price . I know it's going to be around $450.00 and I think there is a discount for USEF or USHJA. again I will up date when I find out more info. I think this is going to be a Great Clinic. I am so glad Bernie didn't feel it beneath him to come to such an out of the way place with less then Elite riders. This is what I called a honest to goodness legitimate effort to reach the real grass roots of our sport with the Best this Sport has to offer. If any one wants the barns phone number Please PM me, I don't think I should post someone elses phone number , especially since I am not affiliated with this Barn.

Can you be more specific than 'that barn' or 'western Michigan?' Like, closer to St Joe/Benton Harbor or closer to Traverse City? BIG area to cover.

What a great opportunity for riders in that area, I would love to be able to audit one of his clinics and look forward to hearing some reports back from those that participate.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Can you be more specific than 'that barn' or 'western Michigan?' Like, closer to St Joe/Benton Harbor or closer to Traverse City? BIG area to cover.
    It is in Sparta, just north of Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Sorry about that, Sparta is about 10 miles North of Grand Rapids , There are very good hotels in GR but there are plenty of less expensive ones within 10 minutes of the farm too. It is June 2 and 3rd , Here is the info I have so far : ( it's less than I thought.

Clinic Fees: USHJA Members $400.00 / Non-Members $425.00
    (This is Differentand really COOL ): Saturday evening Q&A with video presentation with Bernie, and breakfast and lunch for both days
    Stall for weekend $50.00
    Auditor fee - $50.00 / Day - This includes Saturday evening Q&A with video presentation with Bernie, breakfast and lunch each day
    There will be 4 - 2 hour sessions. Closing date: May 1st

I have been to her clinics before and when she says lunch it is usually a very nice spread of cold cuts for sandwiches and fruits ect..So it really is a full lunch. Bring an extra cooler so you can picnic on the lawn.

Darn, I have to be at a conference for work that week. I went last year to the Joe Fargis clinic and had a great time. The farm is a great host and the facility is well-kept.

I stayed at a hotel called the "Swan Inn." Avoid that one if you don't enjoy catcalls and a heavy smell of smoke! The price was right, though for good reason...

LOL , I can relate , but I think that one is like $59.95 a night. There is a nicer one a mile away for $99.00 I think I am going to gently hint to the barn owner NOT to put Bernie up that a for mentioned hotel as we probably would like him to come back in the future! Six Spots have already sold in the first day she put this out there , I am sure it will sell out fast. Sorry you won't be able to make it. I wonder if it's nice enough out if Bernie would use the outside course .

If your a fan of Bernie Traurig's clinics check out his website Equestriancoach.com!! I think he has an amazing special offer going on right now where you buy a 1 year subscription to the site and get his extensive DVD collection for free! If your on Facebook just look for the Equestriancoach page or his fan page to see the offer. It's a huge savings!

Nice facility for a clinic. I did go audit the Joe Fargis clinic last year, for 1 day only (would have loved to go both days), the audit cost was a bit steep for me. The Lucinda Green eventing clinic that year was $25/day to audit, others have been $10. The dressage clinic usually also run $10-25 to audit. Lunch is usually incl. or they ask for a donation for that.
    Are H/J clinics usually so expensive to audit?
    Joe was really really good btw, found it very sad that most of the young riders present often ignored his comments/suggestions. He commented to many about their leg not being under them and feeling their diagonals not looking down for them, bending their horse to the inside in the turns, etc, basic stuff
    Looking forward to Bernie. Nice to have that quality of instructors coming to MI