The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool What are your crazy conspiracy theories?

I'll start...

I believe that every time I throw out the old and start using a new toothbrush (or my child does) we get a cold. I believe from this evidence that the new toothbrushes are embedded with cold/flu germs so that we buy Kleenex and cold/flu meds further boosting the bottom line for companies owning such toothbrush lines. Currently on cold #4 this winter and toothbrush #4 in as many months.

What do you believe?

You know those square barcode things that are on a lot of advertisements now? I just looked it up and they are called QR codes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code (I don't have a cell phone so I didn't know). Anyway, those things frighten me and I believe they are used to track/keep an eye on people, and irrationally, even not having a cell phone, not using apps, etc. I still seem to think they are "watching me".
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I think OnStar in GM vehicles is a goverment conspiracy.

I think that Smart Phones, I-pads, tablets, et al, are a government conspiracy to distract the populace from what is really going on in the nation and world. I call it the Crow Theory......distraction by shiny objects.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

My crazy conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theories are made up to keep paranoid people occupied. (Though I confess to finding the Olympic/Titanic theory...intirguing, plausible on the surface-heck, if the JFK conspiracy wackadoos had a third as much evidence they might actually have an argument, but ultimately just too complicated to pull off.)

What is the Olympic Titanic theory?

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    What is the Olympic Titanic theory?
    Yeah, what is that?

Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I believe that the food we are eating is slowly killing us and the gov. does not care, they actually are encouraging it.

Short version--they swapped out her near-identical but expensively damaged sister RMS Olympic and sank her as the Titanic (with the death toll NOT being part of the plan, just a revelation of the design flaw in question) to collect on the brand-new undamaged Titanic's insurance. Plausible on the surface, and would address some odd things like the very last-minute reshuffling of the senior officers and why it was suddenly so high-priority to put the B deck screens on Titanic, their insurance situation WAS such that Olympic was becoming an insurance albatross around IMM's neck, but ultimately just too complicated a switch to make in the time allowed with far too many people who'd notice. Rather like JFK and myriad conspiracies there, way too many people would have to KNOW and have damning evidence for someone not to have come forward.

But it's fun to read about!

I have always thought that cat food manufacturers came up with the concept of the "finicky" cat so they could dispose of all sorts of gross stuff in canned cat food and no one would think it was unusual. Have you SMELLED grocery store/commercial squishy food? We're supposed to believe THAT is a delicacy and that Felix is just being finicky when he doesn't want to come within 20 feet of it?

Put a scallop on the floor. Watch your finicky cat.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I believe that the food we are eating is slowly killing us and the gov. does not care, they actually are encouraging it.
    Yeah, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by JustTrails View Post
    I call it the Crow Theory......distraction by shiny objects.
    I love this!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I'm really hoping that all of these posts are tongue in cheek . . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

My conspiracy theory is that commercial banks, the Federal Reserve, and the heads of the big investment banks all conspired in the '90's to drastically lower interest rates in order to force capitol into the markets where whey could manipulate it.

Then the other day I was listening to Marketplace on public radio, and some guy essentially confirmed that monetary policy was changed during that time to reduce the rewards people could earn by simply saving money. All of that money needed to be shifted to the markets so that it could be used for investment. As we have all seen, instead, trillions of dollars have been sucked out of the bank accounts, 401Ks as well as home equity of millions of people and transferred through sale of bogus derivatives or through shorting the markets and used to enrich the investment bankers and hedge fund managers, who pay little taxes on that income.

You can't earn more that 1% on your savings, your 401K is invested in a market that is rigged or inflated by the Fed to keep your money in it, and your house will never be the nest egg that our parents' enjoyed.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrider View Post
    I'll start...

I believe that every time I throw out the old and start using a new toothbrush (or my child does) we get a cold. I believe from this evidence that the new toothbrushes are embedded with cold/flu germs so that we buy Kleenex and cold/flu meds further boosting the bottom line for companies owning such toothbrush lines. Currently on cold #4 this winter and toothbrush #4 in as many months.

What do you believe?
    I am puzzled as to why don't you just stop buying new toothbrushes? 4 in 4 months seems a little aggressive. Do you like having colds? If I believed this, I imagine my twice annual toothbrush exchange could be delayed even farther

I sometimes wonder whether, as Chris Rock famously suggested, that we don't have a cure for cancer because "there ain't no money in the cure." The money's in those years of medical treatments, not a cure. Never overestimate the ethics of big corporations.

Remember when it came out a few years ago that tobacco companies were increasing nicotine levels in cigarettes to made more addictive in the beginning and harder for established smokers to quit? Disgusting.

OK, I'll bite. I am convinced e-books/e-readers are evil (cool, useful, fabulous, but evil.) What happens if the "powers that be" decide we shouldn't have some information? Zap? Uhhh, where did it go? Books are tangible, durable, can be furtively handed about without a trail, don't require batteries, internet connections or even electricity. I love books.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaff Foxhunter View Post
    OK, I'll bite. I am convinced e-books/e-readers are evil (cool, useful, fabulous, but evil.) What happens if the "powers that be" decide we shouldn't have some information? Zap? Uhhh, where did it go? Books are tangible, durable, can be furtively handed about without a trail, don't require batteries, internet connections or even electricity. I love books.
    OTOH, with Kindle Direct Publishing on Amazon, EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHER publishes a "book". (I tell people to buy the real version of mine because you can't get chocolate smudges on an ebook and besides, if they want better formatting, I fixed that one. At 35 cents a download? You can deal with a few misplaced words on the Kindle.) So there are MORE books. Making it disappear would be borderline-impossible, but maybe the real conspiracy is, the bigger the glut of ebooks, the less likely people are to actually read the one that really tells how the Illuminati are using the Bildenberger Group and the Trilateral Commission to control the Council on Foreign Relations to manipulate the price of lean ground beef so that the aliens have more cattle to mutilate in their quest to perfect genetically-modified food that will eventually mutate humans into the perfect slaves so they can come down and set up a World Government using money made on interest from the invested lost treasure of the Knights Templar. JFK found out, see, that's why he had to be shot with the Magic Bullet from the grassy knoll (but he's not dead, he's disguised as an elderly black man in a Texas nursing home where he fights mummies with Bruce Campbell. Who's really Elvis.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaff Foxhunter View Post
    Now see, you laugh. But Amazon did that very thing. George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm of all things. One student lost his copy and all of his notes and annotations. I'm not sure how many copies they zapped.

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

And they tried to pass SOPA!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant