The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Everybody - who do you remember from years past, people or horses?

So I'm on one of those "I grew up in . . ." Facebook sites, and there are people there I have never heard of who were involved in horses - when I ask them what horse they rode, or whether they remember mine I never get an answer.
    How I remember people, from when I was about 13 to 17, was first name and horse name. Mary had Ginger for example. Depending on how I learned the name adults were the same, Howard was Kilt etc.
    Mind you, I didn't board at a barn so there were no name plates to learn the name of an owner I rarely saw.

How does everyone else remember the horses and riders of their youth, or can you?
    Last edited by ReSomething; Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I couldn't tell you the names of any of the girls I used to ride with as a kid. I can't tell you the names of their horses either (I think the TB/Arab was named Prince but that could be wrong). I can picture them in my head. And I do remember the names of some of my favorite lesson horses I rode (Joker, Sundance, Cocoa the blind pony who just chilled out on the farm...).

Some people just aren't good with names.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I can't remember a single person I rode with as a kid, but I can still name every horse in the fairly sizeable stable!

I can remember the names of two trainers from when I was a kid (my favorite and the evil demon spawn one), three of the girls I used to ride with, and the names of every horse in the various barns. Not just the school horses, either. Some of the boarders were awesome during the one summer camp and while we were hanging out in the aisle gazing lovingly at our horses as they munched on hay in their stalls, the boarders were getting ready in the cross tie/wash rack area now that the ring was free and they'd let us help or quiz us on things like their horse's color, what kind of bit they were using, and were happy to answer any questions we had.

Can't remember any of the people's names...I can barely remember the names of some of the boarders where my aunt keeps her horse (and we showed together!) but I can name the horses tell you which horse goes with which face! Everyone somehow ends up being "Two Socks' Mom" or "Bucky's Dad" or "That kid who used to bounce around on Rusty and laugh a lot."
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Horses for sure. Shawn the little pony, Nautical -another pony, Chief Justice, Entree parenthese (sp), High Court, Bayanyan, Fiddler -these are some of the horses from my childhood in Trinidad (Bays and Grays Riding Center and Bonanza Stud Farm).

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My horse memory is awesome. There are people I talk to several times a week whose names I can't remember. I remember the registered and barn names of thousands of horses over the years...
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Yep, I'm one of these people. I remember more horses than I do kids' names who rode them!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I'm pretty sure I can remember the names of every single horse I've ever ridden, and only about 10% of the people I rode with/for.

I still keep in touch..via facebook..with many of my closer riding friends from when I was a kid. only one still has her horse from childhood..he is quite old. All our other horses have since passed away.

I remember alot of the horses names from the first barn I rode at..many lesson horses and few boarders..that barn, I remember more the horses names then the riders names!

I rode from 1974 to 1981, as a tween/teen. I remember my instructor's name and all of the horses I rode, but not any of the kids I rode with, except one who was a little older and was the instructor's assistant.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Haha same here the barn i used to ride at i knew every horses name....to this day people will ask me if i remember someone...i have to say.. who did they ride... they would say the horse then i would know who they were talking about

I remember all horses and most horse people's names, but if I forget a face, all they have to do is tell me who their horse is and I can place them instantly.

Although, strangely enough, of the 2 horses that the neighbor who taught me to ride had, I can only remember one. I remember that one was a paint and the other an appaloosa, but I can only remember the name Patches, and I can't recall which horse the name belonged to. And I took care of both those horses for 2 summers. I can only guess that I can't remember because I was away from horses for so many years. (age 11-age 35)
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I remember the very first horse I loved at summer camp... he passed away while I was there from colic The camp barn gave four of us girls a shoe each. I'll always remember crying, holding that shoe!

I remember numerous trainers, horses and riders from the barns I was at during my junior years. Some are BNTs and Olympians now. Me, not so much! I'm happy in ammy land, and will probably end up a weekend warrior if my career and family life continue the way they are!

ETA: I guess I'm not really a re-rider, although I did have to take some time off from riding while earning my degrees and starting my family.

I decided to change the title to be more inclusive.
    I've wondered about this a bit as I talk to my elderly Mom - it's like all us kids knew every single dog in the neighborhood, it's name, where it lived, whether it was nice or not, but never knew the homeowners, and the horses were the same way either around the neighborhood or at the barn. Never knew the owner half the time, but if you said Jane and then Blackie, you knew right away which Jane that had to be.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Neither. I'm horrible with names! There are a few special horses I can remember:

Frank who sent the instructor to the hospital.

Norma who I named my dog after.

Dutchess was the first horse I rode at riding camp.

Other than that - nothing...

And sadly, I should know more because I've been around A LOT of big barns and nice horses.

Add me to the "I remember horses, but not people" group.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Oh, brother
    Wait until y'all get really old...

I started riding lessons in 1958 & recall horses named Ginger (tall liver chestnut ASB), Penny (bright chestnut mutt) & Cloud (gray) that I rode as schoolies.
    I know I rode many more in weekly lessons, but those are the only names I have left in the old Memory Closet.
    I almost owned Penny but that sale never went through for whatever reason.

As a re-rider in my 30s I can name school horses: Dusty, Whiskey, Howard, Strawberry, Red, Cisco...
    And fellow students: Mary R, Sally, Katie, Barry, Marguerite, Al

From the early years I recall BO Captain Frank - turned out to be Frank Jayne.
    And Mrs. Somebodyorother at Bailey's - older chainsmoker (yes: in the barn) who kept us barnrats in line.
    But the names of kids I rode with - including the bratty owner's niece who let her known biter munch my hand , I am afraid those names are lost to antiquity.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I remember almost all horses, including boarders, from the barn where I worked when I was a teen. Many I would recognize if I saw them, others not so much. I usually remember horses moreso than people, but I do remember at least first names for all the boarders who stayed any length of time and actually came out regularly. Of course, I noticed the other day that I can no longer remember most of my college professors (except those I had many classes with/in my major) and people who lived in my hall, from 10 years ago. It's amazing what sticks and what doesn't.

I remember horses and given enough time, could probably list a good number of the horses that I have ridden. I am 35 and started riding at 8, so that is perhaps not such a feat, but I can only remember the names of my instructors going back to 18.

I remember riders and horses names from 50 years ago.

give it time, you too will soon be able to remember all names