The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Benicio - anybody have foals out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhOKyGE4oY

Wondering if there are any foals out there yet. I've seen pics from one thus far but would love to see some more.

Created new thread regarding semen quality as defined by wbfsh.

I love Benicio and hope semen will be available for NA soon.
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

We're looking to use fresh but thank you anyway. Is there any particular reason why you are pointing out the standards with regards to him? I mean they hold true for any stallion. PM me if your reason is not of public concern

Kareen, I hope you read the link and have the vet doing the repro work to check out the semen in regards of meeting those specifications !

Actually I have to clean my keyboard now, I have to remind myself not to open any threads before swallowing what I have in my mouth.

There must have been a foal in a foal auction, because on their own website there is a picture of a foal and that background sure looks like Verden auction arena.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

No, you're right it applies to all stallions not just him.

That link was news to me (I was unaware such standards existed) so now I'm extra cautious about knowing how many post thaw swimmers there will be in each dose now. Just a little community service.

I'll start a new thread as it does apply to all, fresh, cooled, frozen, etc...

Kareen, I loved Benicio's video. Very curious about his offspring. He looks like such a willing and happy ride.

BITS, Kareen is an equine veterinarian. I am quite sure that she is well aware of necessary standards regarding semen.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Kareen, I loved Benicio's video. Very curious about his offspring. He looks like such a willing and happy ride.

BITS, Kareen is an equine veterinarian. I am quite sure that she is well aware of necessary standards regarding semen.
    Good to know.

Well and the counts of how many are swimming is not really a gurantee. Some have half dead semen and never the less a pregnany rate that is very good. And vice versa. Enough count of swimmers but no pregnancies.
    So actually I would not really give anything to that. Plus if people do not know how to thaw properly according to the way how the specific frozen semen needs to be handled, these numbers are maybe not reached because the semen is handled in a wrong way...

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Well and the counts of how many are swimming is not really a gurantee. Some have half dead semen and never the less a pregnany rate that is very good. And vice versa. Enough count of swimmers but no pregnancies.
    So actually I would not really give anything to that. Plus if people do not know how to thaw properly according to the way how the specific frozen semen needs to be handled, these numbers are maybe not reached because the semen is handled in a wrong way...
    Very true. All the more reason to have at least the standard numbers when you start. Right?

For sure, especially with the pricier league stallions att. Alexandra: Rest assured my poor keyboard had to swallow a lot from cookie-crumbles all the way through spilled redwine over the last few years *lol*
    I'm actually surprised it still works

I love Benicio... So gorgeous. He definitely influenced my choice to do a custom foal by Belissimo. I don't know what I have to do for the universe to give me a carbon copy but whatever it is, WILL DO! LOL

He is definitely one I will be keeping an eye one for the future in case I continue to grow more interested in breeding.

Is frozen semen available from Callaho's Benicio in the US? If so who carries it and how much per dose? He is a lovely stallion for sure!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

So far there cannot be any foals by Benicio that were not bred by the Callaho Stud Farm in South Africa. The breeding politics of Callaho Stud Farm is to only breed their stallions to their own mares and once per year they do have a big auction to sell the offspring. So in fact if Benicio is now available to the public, that is the first time.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post

Halleluia :-)

so now you're recommending to only use 1 straw of a three straw dose.

If the numbers don't matter THIS IS essentially what you're saying!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen two coming three year olds- one is a really super filly and the other a gelding- both owned by the breeder of Benicio who is also the breeder of the mare that I own that is his half sister. They were conceived used frozen semen.
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Quote Originally Posted by imajacres View Post
    Halleluia :-)
    This is off topic, but:
    I just imagine the following situation. Semen agent sells semen. The accompaning paperwork says xy percent of post thaw stats. Than I imagine one or the other "very experienced" vet thawing it and counting and finding a different number. Yeah and suing is on its way... (And just because poeple did not know how to thaw...)
    I guess these numbers published because some people not knowing a lot get an oppoturnity to cross check and feel good or bad or are able to get back to the semen agent for refund...

Well an I know a very experienced vet who gets mares pregnant with two straws out of a 8dose portion... It is done, can be done, but the person needs to know what he/she doing and needs a network of good vets for information.