The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default short-backed horses

What are some of the issues that can come up with short-backed horses? WOuld you buy one, or recommend NOT buying one?

It really depends on you as a rider and how you mesh with a particular horse.

I started with quarter horses, and I'm very short - both add up to my strong preference for short backs, sometimes too short.

A short backed horse is going to naturally have less movement in its back, typically will find any lateral work tougher, and may have more trouble making lines. Of course, it can vary. My super short backed TB goes against most of the "typical" traits except for lack of natural movement up and down in his back. That is changing with time, because it's one of the areas I'm good at improving.

A short backed horse is typically MUCH easier to compact/put together than a longer backed horse. I find if I'm riding a longer backed horse (my mare!) who doesn't want to just use the hind end naturally, I feel a bit as if I'm trying to ride a unicycle with the wheel in front of me only. When it comes to jumping, I really feel a bit at a loss with trying to get the horse in the best position to handle itself well on a long-backed horse.

Any chance you can ride some longer and some shorter backed horses to see how they feel to you? Some people will insist one is better than the other, but I believe it depends on you as well as the individual horse in front of you.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Thanks! There is an appendix mare I'm potentially interested in with a great demeanor, but I haven't ridden her yet. I just didn't know enough to know if a short-backed horse is going to be more likely to have certain physical issues later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Thanks! There is an appendix mare I'm potentially interested in with a great demeanor, but I haven't ridden her yet. I just didn't know enough to know if a short-backed horse is going to be more likely to have certain physical issues later down the road.
    Good luck!

I don't think they are more than any other type of horse. I'd look at coupling and strength of the back, but short-backed has never caused problems I know of because of back length. (Heck, check out all the short-backed Arabs who do endurance in a hollow position most people here would say will KILL a horse's back!) Of course any horse can have problems, but personally I haven't seen any happen because of a short back. Now, depending on how short the back - saddle fit can become an issue. My 16.3 gelding is barely long enough for a dressage saddle to fit him ok, and I think some would be too long for his back length.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Thanks again for your reply! Here she is, if you can see this: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/appendix.jpg

Her withers are quite long!

Buy her saddle if it fits!!!

Alto- I know, right? I was thinking she would be really hard to find a good fit for!! She's not terribly expensive, though, so I am guessing a custom saddle would be a good option.

Kissing Spines - ask me how I know . (Though I wouldn't trade my mare for the world ).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England