The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default first time to help staff

This Sunday's hunt was a beautiful and brisk day. I was expecting cruising around in the field but ended up shadowing a whip.

We were alittle short staffed and MFH asked me to lead the hounds on the hack, which I've done before. I was expecting to go down the lane, and as in the past, we would stop and I would go back to the field before he cast the hounds. this time, was asked to move to the side as we were trotting along, off the hounds went. I was thrilled O'reilly didn't bat an eye or even twitch or speed up as the hounds staff and field went thundering by. He just waited for my cue and picked up our spot in the end field. I was surprised as we have not hunted much since the beginning of the year due to weather conditions and my horse was pretty fresh. I had the flu during the week, so was just planning on riding to the back so we could lope along..heck, I almost hill-topped as I didn't think I had it in me to jump.

Later, during the hack down the road, MFH asked again for me to flank him with the other staff. Then he asked me to shadow a whip. As we galloped across the fields, she would tell me where I needed to be and so on. Very educational but very fun.

It was a blast! O'reilly didn't care if we were by ourselves and loved it when were were at a check and the hounds were near him. For a big horse, he loves the creatures that are much smaller than him.

Getting to view the hounds at work with the MFH and seeing field galloping behind was a sight to behold! It was such an honor and I was thrilled to find my horse was up to the task too.
    Last edited by bigbaytb; Feb. 13, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Well, that is cool -- the MFH must have confidence in you.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Once you start to work as staff, riding in the field will never be the same. The rapport you develop with your horse is unbeatable, and you'll see things you would never notice when you're caught up in the crowds. You should be quite rightly thrilled to have been called upon. It's an honor.

I agree you'll see a change in your horse. My first time as a whipper in was when I showed up at a meet and the huntsman asked which horse I had. I told him the older one and he said good I need you to whip in. I wasn't sure if my horse would do it but he did. The most interesting part of the day was staying behind to collect hounds and then bring them up. I had about 15 hounds with me and tried to get them to jump the coop ahead of me. Instead they stayed with me. My horse power walked to the coop and jumped with hounds on either side.

It was very cool moment.

I agree - once you've hunted "up front" with hounds, hunting in the field will never be the same. I really doubt that I'd hunt at all now if I couldn't be up to watch hounds work. =)

What do you mean by "up front"?
    Last edited by Ememdems; Feb. 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
    entertainment apps for Micro Earpiece

Operating Time of Micro Earpiece micro earpiece

As much as I have enjoyed the occasional whipping in, I'd rather hunt with the field. Leading the field is another level of challenge. Once you've lead the field for a while it is tough to ride behind someone else.

I ride 2nd horse for my partner (huntsman) so am free to go where I like. As soon as hounds find, I leave the field and go up closer to hounds and watch for the hare and take note of where she's run. That way if hounds check I'm normally able to tell "himself" just where she's gone so he's able to help hounds find the line again. I get to see as much hound work as the huntsman does. Love it!

Wink We are not worthy!

From your fans here at COTH - we bow low in admiration and envy! Let's all do the wave for BBT!!! And a tip of the Lemoncello/Prosecco goblet to our fellow Hunting Princess who has truly "made it"!!! Woooooo hoooooo!!
    It's an awesome experience and best is the knowledge that your mfh/hunt staff have that kind of faith in you! Some members are help-some are hindrances! You rock! Congratulations my dear! Wunnerful!! and I hope Mr. O'Reilly at least gotta carrot for dat!!

Wateryglen,

Ha. LOL. Don't be tipping too much lemoncello in praise. There are a few riders that have more experience than me that the MFH chooses from, but it was nice to have the stars aligned my way for this hunt for me to get the experience. I hope it happens again!
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!