The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Badminton bound, anyone else going?

Wonderfully impressed with how easy it was to secure tickets, a campsite, rental car, etc. Dear husband has kindly offered to sit through one day of dressage with me, on the terms he can explore the trade fair, sample the English ale and food at the on-site pub, and join me stomping around on XC day. (A delayed 15th wedding anniversary trip for us....) SO EXCITED! Will forgo Rolex this year for the once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Badders!!! Anyone else from COTH going?
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Yes, but I live this side of the pond, so I guess that's cheating really! It is going to be a fantastic competition, some of the new fences look awesome. Owl hole on top of the bank, anyone?!

jealous

Default I am considering it!

Need to sort out a few details, but would REALLY love to go!
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I'm REALLY excited about the new XC fences! Booked husband's ticket after mine (we found out late that we were able to leave our two young kids in America, with relatives...). How hard will it be to get him an unreserved seat on Dressage days? I already have my 2 Dressage days and SJ reserved seating tickets, but they are single seats among the crowd. He may just have to watch from the tele in the pub...poor bloke. Anyone know if there is a wi fi hot spot in the village?

I'm arriving at Heathrow a day before gates open. Will pick up car, stay overnight at either Swindon or somewhere in-between (Swindon, though less scenic, has the advantage of having an ASDA and a Go Outdoors camping store, where I can stock up on all the provisions we'll need for camping in a tent for a week!) re: phones or wi fi, trying to figure out how we can check in on the kids while we are away. May pick up a prepaid phone...I used to live in England, my husband studied and lived in Cambridge, so this is a very meaningful trip for both of us! Feels like going home! A horse trial makes it all the better!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by kerilli View Post
    Owl hole on top of the bank, anyone?!
    YES!
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    I'm REALLY excited about the new XC fences! Booked husband's ticket after mine (we found out late that we were able to leave our two young kids in America, with relatives...). How hard will it be to get him an unreserved seat on Dressage days? I already have my 2 Dressage days and SJ reserved seating tickets, but they are single seats among the crowd. He may just have to watch from the tele in the pub...poor bloke. Anyone know if there is a wi fi hot spot in the village?

I'm arriving at Heathrow a day before gates open. Will pick up car, stay overnight at either Swindon or somewhere in-between (Swindon, though less scenic, has the advantage of having an ASDA and a Go Outdoors camping store, where I can stock up on all the provisions we'll need for camping in a tent for a week!) re: phones or wi fi, trying to figure out how we can check in on the kids while we are away. May pick up a prepaid phone...I used to live in England, my husband studied and lived in Cambridge, so this is a very meaningful trip for both of us! Feels like going home! A horse trial makes it all the better!

There are many WiFi hot spots....not to worry. ASDA has a ton of CHEAP PAYG phones. Be aware that many of the PAYG phones do not have international calling....and if they do the charges are sky high. Bring your smart phone and surf/email off a WiFi spot. All the McDonalds (I know, the horror) are hot spots....as well as the hotels.

thanks for the good advice, Snoopy...I called Sprint, and unfortunately my LG Rumor Touch phone and plan can't even be temporarily modified to work over there. I do have a PDA w/ wi fi, so at least I can take that to check email and moderately surf, and I'll definitely check out the PAYG options. May just have to pick up an international card to check in on the kiddles as they are swapped from one relative to another while we are gone. FYI, if anyone is still thinking about going, we were able to save $$$ by choosing to camp at the Greenfields Camping site at Badminton, if you don't mind camping. They even provide an air mattress and sleeping bag, and they set up the tent, before you arrive. Passes for all 4 days, and a parking pass, come with the camp site reservation. Their folks were really helpful. I was also impressed with how helpful the main Badminton info office was, answering emails remarkably fast, with lots of useful information.

I am so stoked for this trip, as here we are 2 1/2 months away, and I'm already packing my suitcase in my head, as well as imagining the venue and events. As my COTH name suggests, thinking about the trip and planning for it sure as hell beats housework for this stay-home-horseless Mom, who recently has rarely been able to ride more than once or twice, every other week, since last October...(sigh)
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

I'll be there.

(Robby, you MUST go!)

JER: fantastic!
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I'll be there.

(Robby, you MUST go!)
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I'll be enjoying it vicariously through you. ENJOY!!!

got my tix last week, have flights, rental car, and a place to stay. Very excited!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Asterix: who did you find for rental car? I've received mixed quotes, curious to know what companies others have used/reviews....
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    Asterix: who did you find for rental car? I've received mixed quotes, curious to know what companies others have used/reviews....
    You might want to look at pick-up/drop-off outside of London or LHR.

Also, make sure to request an automatic transmission. If you're not used to right-hand drive, left-hand shift only adds to the stress.

barn -- we are staying in Bristol, flying in and picking up the car in the city, and dropping it off in the city and taking a bus directly to Heathrow.
    So there is an Avis in downtown Bristol which we can walk to from our lodging; we rented a tiny manual car (I've driven stick shift in UK, and as long as you don't start out in London, it's not hard to pick up if you drive stick normally) and it's REALLY reasonable.
    You can get automatic and it's easier, but it is more expensive....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

thanks, JER and asterix, for the helpful tips, will look into it tomorrow!
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Gotta laugh about all this panic about driving in London (or LHR). Really, it is not that bad at all. LHR gives you the ring road around the airport "to practice" and then all the major motorway routes are, indeed, well sign posted....especially the M4. I had friends who recently visited, hired a car and off they went ...with no trouble what so ever. Don't get you knickers in a twist. If you have been driving a few years, you will be fine. A little common sense goes a long way.

I did BOTH Rolex and Badders last year (insane, but awesome and something I will always be glad I did!)

We looked up the accom list on the Badminton website and stayed in someone's home 5 miles from Badminton. It was brilliant. We also got to visit Castle Combe (where the town scenes from War Horse were shot).

As for WiFi, I sat with my iPad during dressage and SJ day and uploaded the previous days photos. Free wifi on the grounds, so it is easy to keep in touch. Shopping is brilliant...heck, everything is brilliant.

Wish I could go every year, but logistically it's a bit tough to do so from the little ol' land of Oz. At least we have great web coverage and live streaming these days, I don't have to wait for a magazine to be printed to read results!!