The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Edelweiss NT

Anyone have one? I have the chance to purchase a nice used one, sat in it once and really liked it. Haven't jumped in it yet though.
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

I don't own one, but I'd love to! I have two other Stubbens and will be trading my Siegfried II in for either an Edelweiss or a Roxanne.

Then again, I like just about all Stubbens...

We have an NT Deluxe and it's awesome. I have a lonely calf skin Devocoux too but I find I actually ride better in the Stubben, it feels really well balanced and I feel secure and effective.

Only word of caution is that they seem to fit a bit narrow.

Give Stubben a call & discuss fit of these Edelweiss saddles for you & your horse

Thanks everyone! It actually fit my filly really well. I believe it is a 31 cm. The flaps are a bit short though, but I don't think that will bother me. I usually have a problem with my knee going over the front of the flap but it fit me fine that direction.

Look for an Edelweiss "G" (longer, more forward flap - Stubben NA will measure the flaps for you) to try: if the flap is a little short on the flat, you're likely to go over when jumping or hit the blocks/knee pad in an uncomfortable way.

I have one, an NT Deluxe. I bought it without riding in it or trying it on my horse (I know, a HUGE gamble) but I got it for a song in Stubben's November sale a couple years ago. I got extremely lucky. Not only does it fit my horse really well (I had my saddle fitter out the day after the saddle arrived to make sure it would work for my horse), but it fits ME well and puts me in a great position. I have jumped up to 3'6" in it and had no problems keeping my leg underneath me. It was a hideous orangy red colour when it arrived but it has evened out to a lovely nutty brown with careful oiling and care. I have a long femur and this saddle accommodates it just fine. The craziest thing is that it is marked as a 16.5" but actually measures closer to a 16". I am 5'7" and 130lbs so just the fact that my butt fits in this thing is amazing! haha.

This is what it looked like when it arrived (if you have sunglasses handy, put them on).

This photo shows how the saddle darkened.

HAHA Starhouse! You look about my size, what length is your flap? Can you measure it from the bottom of the sturrip bar to the bottom of the flap?

We have one at my university and I try to grab it for practice (IHSA) every chance I get! Most of the other girls hate the stubbens because they're not cushy like many hunter/jumper saddles, but I feel like I have the best position in this saddle.

Never jumped in it though, I only ride flat for my school. No jumping.

My daughter has one and she loves it.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    HAHA Starhouse! You look about my size, what length is your flap? Can you measure it from the bottom of the sturrip bar to the bottom of the flap?
    No problem, I will measure it tonight for you!

I learned to ride in a stubben and though I have not tried all their models as there are tons. I had a roxanne for a few years and the only reason that I sold it was because it did not fit my horse. I would recommend them as a good quality saddle that lasts forever.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Of the three stubbens we have owned (an ancient one, 20+yrs old, my edelweiss, and my mom's roxanne) I loved the edelweiss the best. It was not super cushy or anything and it was not super super secure but it fit me and my horse and I could actually ride in it. It was a 32cm tree. Amazingly the flap worked for my leg. I have a very long thigh, which is why the roxanne doesn't work because it is too restrictive, and I could ride very short without my knee coming off the flap. I sadly had to sell it when the horse it fit was put down and I got a new one that was more of a tank than my old OTTB.

After a year and a half of near daily use it still looked like this:
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...s/e640970d.jpg

flatting in it:
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../warmblood.jpg

jumping in it:
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...pingathome.jpg

Gubbyz, the length of the flap is 14.5-14.75" ish. Here are some measurement photos:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...n_001small.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...n_002small.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...n_003small.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...n_004small.jpg (this shows the colour better. I am so relieved the nasty orange colour is no more)

This saddle is just over 2 years old and has been used 4-5 times a week on just one horse. I love the way it has broken in and I feel really secure in it.

I have two Edelweis NT Deluxe for two different horses. One has the bio-mex seat. The oldest is about 4 years old and still looks great. Love them. They fit the both me and the horses well. The Tobacco deluxe leather color oiled up to a really nice brown.