The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hives?????

My horse has some sort of hives or something between his frong legs and down the underside of his stomach. There are some on the outside of his back leg as well. The hair is raised and they are bumps with a yellow head on them, like they broke open. I washed them twice with a batadine/water mix and he still has them. Anyone know what this might be? He goes out a couple hours a day - blanketed but this came up last Friday and he wasn't out that day. Any thoughts? I have a call into the vet.

What kind of bedding is in ihis stall?

It's often hard to determine the cause of hives in horses, as just being turned out a few hours a day allows them time to get into things. If your horse is not clipped, I suggest removing the blanket for a while and washing it thoroughly. My horse came up with hives a couple of times after riding and after cleaning all the saddle blankets, it stopped. Often rubbing causes irritation, such as after clipping or dirty blankets/pads. If you are riding him and he gets sweaty, be sure you are brushing him correctly between the legs and under the belly, where sweat can collect, especially if he is unclipped.

But most important, check his pasture carefully of toxic plants and ask if his hay or bedding has been changed.

We moved to this barn in the middle of January - the bedding is the same. His pasture is a dry lot - there isn't anything out there. He has a sheet on in the barn (heated barn) he is clean, this blankets are always clean - I am a little OCD I thought maybe the moisture in the barn, maybe something in his bedding - it just appeared last Friday. I was thinking of stripping his stall tonight put in fresh bedding, then bath the areas with Microtek Shampoo. He isn't ichy or anything. His bedding is wood shavings. He is use to being on mats, this new place has dirt floors in the stalls, maybe that has something to do with it???

His hay has been the same since we came.

Have you washed any of his blankets lately? Different detergent/softener? I learned the hard way my mare is quite allergic to fabric softener.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I've heard of certain detergents/fabric softeners are a cause of allergies too. Although you said his floor is now dirt- that could certainly be the issue as well. Our barns are mostly dirt floors and it isn't an issue, but maybe your guy is just being a little sensitive. It wouldn't hurt to strip the stall, let it air out a little during the day and then re-bed. Sounds like you're doing everything you need to. I would keep a watch on it, bathe him and if it worsens or doesn't subside, call a vet in case there's a systemic response.

Also, I see your username is "ArabX3;" is the horse affected an Arab? Interestingly enough, Thoroughbreds and Arabians have a genetic predisposition to a disease called atopy. It usually appears by the time the horses matures but mostly in older horses who undergo new environment changes, as it's basically a sensitivity to allergens. Although atopy "outbreaks" tend to be a bit more aggressive than urticaria, so it doesn't sound like that's what it is.

Even so, it's really nothing to stress too much about as there are very effective treatments and hives often go away on their own following careful handling. Just about every horse owner has seen urticaria one or more times.

Thanks - I took everything out of his stall, put fresh bedding in, washed him with Micro-tek shampoo Monday night - last night they had gone down some, I sprayed it with batadine/water mixture. Hopefully they are going away. The vet is coming out on Saturday for coggins so I can have him look if need be.

I think it is the stall, he has always been on mats, and he is an arab. 1/2 arab anyway. We just moved to his barn and it is heated which according to the vet means it has a lot of moisture which is breeding grounds for a lot of things.

My older horse is having a hard time with the heated barn too. The moisture is terrible, I have to haul my tack back and forth so it doesn't mold and I ride every night! I am use to barns being 35 degrees when heated not 60. Needless to say I did find a different barn, no heat and turnout so we will be moving them next weekend.

Thanks for the help everyone!