The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help and Advice-day 314 and milky white drips

good morning all

I am posting for a friend whose mare bagged up early and was dripping wax. vets thought she had placentitis so early last week they put her on regumate and the appropriate antibiotics. Today she is at 314 and it appears her wax has turned milky white. I have a few questions.

1) some people say 315 is minimum safe to foal, others say 320. if this mare can hold out til tomorrow are they in the clear?

2) since it has turned milky white, does this mean her colostrum is gone? is there a milk test my friend can do to see if there is any left?

3) if colostrum is gone, what does my friend need to do for the foal to get it what it needs?

does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do for this mare and foal? are there any at-home remedies or wives tales that might help this mare hang on for a few more days?

My mare had a big, healthy colt at day 312 of gestation. He was completely fine.

well that certainly puts her mind at ease! the mare is a maiden and so is she. ive got a maiden at 298 days, but she has no bag or anything yet so im not panicked (yet)

If the mare is dripping colostrum, keeping her in a stall may help. I always have some extra colostrum in my freezer in case something like this happens.

You can call New Bolton and order colostrum.

I would.

Yes, mares have foaled healthy foals before 320 days, but more often than not they have problems.

Mares can also drip for weeks without having a real reason to - just happens.

As long as you and your vet are treating for potential placentitis (did the vet ultrasound?) then I would get some colostrum asap - either ask your vet if there's a place locally to get some, it needs to be tested, or get some from NBC or some other hospital that stores it. It will ship next day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by silanac View Post
    good morning all

I am posting for a friend whose mare bagged up early and was dripping wax. vets thought she had placentitis so early last week they put her on regumate and the appropriate antibiotics. Today she is at 314 and it appears her wax has turned milky white. I have a few questions.

1) some people say 315 is minimum safe to foal, others say 320. if this mare can hold out til tomorrow are they in the clear?
    There are no absolutes and it will be mare/foal dependent. If the mare does indeed have placentitis, treat the foal as if it was compromised e.g. exposed to a pathogen at birth. However, also be aware that foals that are born early due to placentitis often undergo an accelerated maturation.

2) since it has turned milky white, does this mean her colostrum is gone? is there a milk test my friend can do to see if there is any left?
    Not necessarily. It's more of a concern if the mare is literally streaming milk prior to foaling. It sounds like that hasn't occurred? Just simply that the color has changed?

3) if colostrum is gone, what does my friend need to do for the foal to get it what it needs?
    Make sure she has supplemental colostrum on hand as well as a few doses of a product such as Seramune. Oral supplementation is better than having to do a transfusion as there are less risks. Either way make absolutely SURE that an IgG test is performed. If it is low at 24 hours, do a transfusion.

does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do for this mare and foal? are there any at-home remedies or wives tales that might help this mare hang on for a few more days?
    Just make sure you continue the Regumate and the antibiotics. Every day that the mare holds on your chances of success improve. Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

In cases similar to this where we are concerned about the amount of dripping a mare is doing, we test the milk, and if the properties of colostrum are there (6.2pH and 500ppm calcium+), we will pull some off to store before the foal is born. If she's just going to drip it on the ground, we figure what is the harm? Then at least you have some saved for when the foal is born if it's all gone.

Our vet had a healthy foal born to a client at 310 days last year, but no placentitis signs however.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

well it has happened! mare just gave birth to a seemingly healthy filly about 30 minutes ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by silanac View Post
    well it has happened! mare just gave birth to a seemingly healthy filly about 30 minutes ago!!
    Fingers, eyes, ears and toes crossed. Just make sure they have an IgG test done on foal, REGARDLESS of what anyone says! Do it! We so often hear people say that it wasn't necessary becasue the foal looked healthy. Doesn't matter how the foal looks! If there is an issue, you'll find out too late to do anything about it!
    Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I would look at the placenta good too - like Kathy said, they can appear ok for the first couple hours then start to go down hill if they are slightly dummy or what not. Since placentitis was suspected, I would be uber observant. If filly doesn't nurse diligently and often in a reasonable amount of time, I'd get on it quick with fluids and possibly more care. The in three placentits cases we had, two were dummies. One appeared ok and active initially but then after a few hours he was no longer energetic and mare began to become annoyed with his fumbling nursing attempts and started to kind of reject him, too. Definite sign of an issue... I hope filly is fine though!!! Just some things to watch for having been in the position and wished we'd known.
    Signature Sporthorses

they are on their way to UGa vet hospital for plasma...prayers and jingles please!

I'm curious why plasma is being done at less 5 hours old?

JB, i may have misspoken, not sure if they did plasma that early, though i know she received plasma last night. the foal is small-only about 90 lbs, with 2 warmblood parents (sire is 17h). she was feisty and tried to stand within 10 mins of being born. stood up in trailer on way to hospital. right now mare is fine, foals white cell count was good and radiographs looked good-hocks were a bit underdeveloped but knees okay. they say her suckle is strong but they are feeding her through a tube-so far no reflux. they are going to keep her laying on wedge pillow for a couple days, rotating her and letting her stand briefly to keep lungs from filling with fluid. she has a team sitting with her 24 hours and the mare stands by her side as well.

my friend didnt get a call all night, so right now no news is good news.

Did they do an IgG test? I hope so

Fingers crossed for the wee filly!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Did they do an IgG test? I hope so

Fingers crossed for the wee filly!
    I'm sure if they did rads on a new born and feeding her through a tube they did an IgG. Sounds like they are treating her like a dummy foal...covering all the bases.

To the OP -- Good Luck to the foal's owner. Hope all resolves just fine.

Sending a million jingles...

We've been there too, so stressful!! Sending a ton of well wishes and healing jingles for baby!! And some hope for peace of mind for everyone else
    Signature Sporthorses

thanks guys. its been a stressful 24 hours for my friend. this morning the vets said they think she is dummy. after the first few hours post-birth, her nerve response is way down. they are planning a spinal tap today.

Jingles for a complete recovery. While they can crash very quickly they can also recover very quickly. I had one at New Bolton for two weeks years ago. More than once they suggested putting her down but she pulled through after two surgeries and never looked back.

Yikes. This sounds a lot like my first colt. Born on day 327, trying to stand almost immediately, but couldn't. Seemed strong and responsive. We got colostrum in him and he was sent to the ICU. Normal IgG values, but dysmature due to placentitis. Figured we would "incubate him" on a wedge pillow with lots of bottle feedings. On day 2 he had a seizure, went dummy on us and we put him on IV. He was at Alamo Pintado and they said he only had a 50/50 chance at life, let alone as a sport horse, if we put several tens of thousands of dollars into him. After a few more seizures and complete stupertose, we put him down early day 4.

Good luck and jingles!