The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bits and Bytes Farm Reviews

I'm thinking of buying an OTTB from Bits and Bytes Farm, but I wanted to hear some opinions on them. Are they good people to buy from? How are their prices? (My phone is messing up so I can't call to get a price, and they won't give the price over email) Can I get a pre-purchase exam from my vet before I buy or put money down? How are they with letting you test ride the horse before you buy?
    I searched all the threads I could find on them, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

There was a thread recently here talking about them. I think if you did a search on here you could find some info.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Per their Mission Statement....published on Their Webb site

They are bought from the photos and descriptions on their pages. They are not available for you to see or to ride. If you are not comfortable buying a horse this way, look at our
    Take the time to read thru all of their policies and then you can make your own determination.

They do have on-site horses but if you fall in love with a horse on the track You are not offered the opportunity of putting you hands on it.

If you wish to buy directly from track I would contact a CANTER volunteer and have them make an appointment for you to visit track backside and meet the horses, trainers and connections.
    Or go up to the Grandstand in the early AM and watch horses train and let the trainers watching know you are looking to buy...gets PPE's PLEASE

Also you can call HPBA office @ the track and see if they will put a wanted AD up for you..just so you are clear you want to buy 1 horse and are not a broker looking for a steady supply.

If you had a long weekend truck n trailer you could drive to the nearest running track contact CANTER and go shopping they will help w/ PPE's

No personal experience, but it looks like they do have most of those policies covered on their website, just buried on various pages--maybe start here?
    http://www.bitsandbytesfarm.com/newz/buying-our-horses

There are 2 sets of rules/policies--one for buying from their farm (with trial ride) and another for buying from the track (sight unseen).

Knew someone who bought a horse from there long distance. It was quite expensive for an OTTB and not any different than one you could buy from CANTER. I think you can likely do better.

Okay thanks everyone I heard some not so great things about them from an acquaintance of mine, so after hearing what she had to say, I am going to stay away from them.
    I had read their terms, but I was mostly looking for someone who had direct experience buying from them.
    JBRP was not being over cautious about B&B... after hearing what the girl I know had to say, I am definitely not going to buy from them.
    Last edited by SeeTheCityLights; Feb. 13, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

I have never dealt with them but I've followed their farm online. Seems to me they have carved out a good niche for themselves as a "middle man" between track and buyer for horses they feel have sporthorse potential. Although their policies may seem frustrating for the experienced horse owner, their business model must be working since they have been around for a while (I think).

For those who are uncomfortable with dealing with the track directly, or attempting to pick one out without pro assistance, or don't want to wait for the "down time" and deal with basics like mounting issues or learning how to cross-tie... seems to me like they would be a good place to go!

[Also, a lot of incredible horses are sold off the track that don't go through an agencies because they are picked up very quickly by individual buyers/repeat buyers/ongoing relationships first.]
    Last edited by WW_Queen; Feb. 14, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

OP, can you share what not positive things you were told? I'm just curious because I always thought they'd seem like a good source. I'm not looking to purchase in the near future, but I've visited their site often to browse.

My only comment is that I would purchase unseen from Jenarby, Mapleshade or Ishi instead.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

i wish you could come south a bit. lovely ones down here
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    My only comment is that I would purchase unseen from Jenarby, Mapleshade or Ishi instead.
    Yes, and I believe Mapleshade is still in GA, outside of Athens, in case GA is also where you live, OP.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

I put down a deposit on a horse that didn't pass the PPE. the vet also told me the horse wasn't near the size they said he was. i had no problem getting my deposit back, but they weren't super pleasant about it.

What MMorgan says and add Maxxtrot to the list of people I would buy unseen from. Also in Aiken is classicbayeventing.com (PA during the summer), another reasonable option.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Please also if you are near the Maryland area look at Goodhorse.org They are extremely honest and up front, you can go look at the horses, test ride some of them, and they allow PPE. Some of their horses are at the track, and they will help you go see them, some are at the organization founder's farm and have been let down, had some time put in to them, and some are on the freebie page (Looking for a Home link) for various reasons. I got my mare from there, they are really great.

http://www.goodhorse.org

Or in MD, MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org or JLee at Canter Midatlantic-

we will disclose everything and stand behind our horses- you can ride, vet, whatever.......
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

I've drooled over plenty of MidAtlanticHR horses over the years too (and continue to do so), and have a great horse through Canter PA. Quite a long way to go from GA but totally worth it.
    Last edited by MMorgan; Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

So does Three Plain Bays............several Cother's have bought sight unseen and shipped 1/2 way across the country...stop on your way to Mid Atlantic and Jl's....

I have never bought a horse from them, but once did go test ride one about 5-6 years ago. This is strictly hearsay (so take with a grain of salt and do some fact-checking), but from what I've heard from other people, the lady who owns it has got quite a lot of legal paperwork filed against her for numerous things. Again, this is simple rumor and word of mouth, so please do not think I am stating from experience.

I do know that her pricing policy used to be that whatever she paid for them on the track, the price immediately doubled the moment they set foot on her property. If she still follows this standard, you probably could get one a lot cheaper by making some connections with people actually on the track, or by going through CANTER. (CANTER really is a wonderful program, with an excellent "track record.")

There is one person I know personally, and have done business with in the past, that also gets TBs when their careers are done and finds them new homes. They usually come from Finger Lakes and a couple other northern tracks, and she does a good job at representing them honestly. Her website is www.apinchofluck.com And lastly, I have a good friend who is trying to disperse some horses from a client of hers that passed away unexpectedly recently. Most are all directly off the track, with no retraining, but if you're interested, you can PM me and I'd be happy to share her contact info. Some, but not all, of the horses are located on her farm in Roswell, GA, and I'm sure she'd be happy to let you stop by and take a look. Good luck in your horse hunting, whatever you decide to do!
    Last edited by Real Rush; Feb. 16, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spell check

Quote Originally Posted by tnscvaga View Post
    I rode him last weekend and he was a very sweet boy, just ultimately not what I was after. PM me if you want more details.